The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The biggest lie that you believed for most of your life?

Jez Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
"Get a degree if you want to be successful" - By Parents, Bosses, Work mates over 40 yrs old & some business owners I know. Therefore basically i am told everywhere I go what to do with life... aaaaaaaaaaaah.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Disobey

following breadcrumbs
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Feb 18, 2014
Luxembourg
Well there's this "job security" thing I keep hearing about, apparently no one reads the newspapers anymore. "You got to Get that Job Security son!"

"You can't do anything in life without a good degree"

"Entrepreneur's are a bunch of broke alcoholics who ruin their life and families because they can't stop chasing illusions. You better get a job!"

"Either you are born rich, inherit a fortune, win the lottery or you must be a genius. There's no other way to the top."

"Money doesn't buy happiness."

"There's just no opportunity.../ I'm just not lucky enough..."

"She's way out of your league buddy"

You've got to love naysayers...

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Haters are the ones that fuel my desire to succeed. That McDonalds worker that scoffs at your squeaky brakes while his rusting Civic lay 25 feet away, begging for replacement.

My favorite has always been "do what you love. You can't fail if you're passionate about it!"

Yeah, ok...so that's why I lost my body shop? Because I wasn't "passionate" enough?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
That anyone knows wtf they are talking about.

In biz, I never take B to Z grade players at their word. If they lie to themselves it is not possible that they can even approach honesty with you. I expect them to lie me exactly equivalent to their sidewalker status and I picture (if death comes knocking on the door what is the truth of their affairs) because at absolute desperation those wiggly b#stard lies appear.

If you can't use your intuition to effectively create stable understandings of what is happening on their end, you are going to get charged for their escape pass rather than charged on the exact situation. They all wanna stick you with their own bill and rack up another one twice the size.

B-Z grade players deny they have a shark at their back, grab em and stop em in the water and the shark will show.

Aside from that, I don't waste time blaming people that I give no power to influence my actions. Be accountable for yourself, get over the issues you have, give as much as you can, and don't be bitter.

Btw, people's lies are exactly proportionate to the fears they deny. EXACTLY. This is true of all your friends and family. So if they DENY parts of life, they WILL lie to you. Get over THIS and you won't need to be bitter about them giving you BS, because business will teach you to deal with that objectively and find rational and creative solutions that do not leave you holding the grenade and copping the blame.

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,184%
Jun 8, 2010
California
If I believed anything though, it's that your friends will always want the best for you. And yet some of my closest mates have been the biggest haters. You gotta be careful, and really take care to tune out the negative chatter. Keep hustlin'

This one left me feeling bitter for a long time...until I realized that people typically become haters because they're frustrated or dissatisfied with their own lives.

That's when the bitterness towards them morphed into compassion.

Riddic4766

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Feb 6, 2014
- You are smart, brilliant and will succeed (so i belived i deserved it without putting much effort),
- Education is the most important thing to succeed in life. Don't go to work until you finish college,
- Be nice to and try to please everybody.

EE7

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 3, 2013
-That the U.S. is in dire need of engineers and that I was guaranteed a job the second I graduated.
-That businesses cant be created from the garage of one's parent's house.
- That I have to have years of experience in the field before I can start a relative business.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I am a big believer in positive thinking.

The world that we live in has always been one of opinions, ideas, and challenges. We form our perception by what we live and experience. Our perception IS how we view the world.

People are not trying to tell us lies. So, they are not lies. They are someone else telling us about how they view the world.

If we try and tell the rest of the world about our perception, it is not accepted very well. It will be perceived as bullshit.

We are fortunate that we think differently about how the financial world works. But, we should not look down at others that give us advice that does not fit into our reality. Those people are not trying to mislead us. They are not dumb. They have a different perspective of the world is all.

You can be dirt poor and live a fulfilling and satisfying life. You can be filthy rich and live a horrible existence.

These are not lies. They are other people's truths. :smoking:

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
These are not lies. They are other people's truths.
You pretty much summed it up right there. With the exception of a few "gurus" that tell you one thing while doing the other this is the truth.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
So, on to the spirit of what this topic is about. The idea that ANY other forces, people, or institutions hold the ability to affect my life. That any other outside influence can negatively affect me.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
@SteveO I hope to cultivate a mindset/perspective as positive and (seemingly) unshakeable as yours in the future.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
My Father's paradigm " Never buy property!.why do you want to get your self into debt?.. trust me son ..you will never be able to sleep at night worrying about all that money you owe the bank"
hmmmm..

I never share with him in full my property portfolio /investment strategy because if he knew the full story ....he would not be able to sleep at night worrying about my debt !;)

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
From renters: "Check is in the mail" or "I have no idea how it broke"

From girls: "That is my real phone number"

From Parents to me in High School: "You don't want to date a slutty girl, you want a really nice one"

From Politicians (both parties) - pretty much anything that comes out of their mouths

From Friends: "I think it's your round to buy"

Although I did not believe these for most of my life.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
From renters: "Check is in the mail" or "I have no idea how it broke"
From girls: "That is my real phone number"
From Parents to me in High School: "You don't want to date a slutty girl, you want a really nice one"
From Politicians (both parties) - pretty much anything that comes out of their mouths
From Friends: "I think it's your round to buy"

I was reading this and I was like, Damn I have found a person to buy my bridge on the moon.

And then......

Although I did not believe these for most of my life.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@EE7 we ARE in desperate need of engineers. a lot more retiring than are available to replace them. middle group with all the experience is small. replacements coming out of school had no co-op jobs and thus no experience. lot of work out there for engineering consulting companies like mine....

Biggest lie I believed..... 'work hard and get a good job. take the job with good benefits.' worked well until I hit the glass ceiling. realized i would have to do it on my own. Wish RDPD or TMF had been around when I was a kid. So many opportunities then. was focused on getting that degree!!

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Do anything you want to do with your life before you have kids, or you'll have to wait until you're old and retire.
You won't go anywhere without a college degree.

I fell for the first one until I had kids... sure, it's harder to do certain things once you have them, but it's in no way impossible.

And college? Fell for that one until I was there and not learning a thing. :/

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Why people get married. Marriage doesn't occur due to love. It occurs because men are desperate and woman want control of the money.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014

Robbypz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 25, 2013
Kansas City
That I had to play it "safe" to be a good guy and put aside any ideas of what was always called frivolous endeavors.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007