The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The best decision you ever made ?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Dropped my life in Asia, flew to US, bought a $500 car, drove to Texas through the night and found a place to sublet on craiglist, then proposed to Mrs G-man sitting on a park bench with a $50 etsy ring.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Bought a duplex and rented out the other side when I was 20. Now im 22, i dont pay rent and other people pay me to live for free.

Started learning about online business when I was 17/18, now im making a legitimate income from working at it for so long and starting to understand it.

Started working out when i was 14 - taught me the discipline/work ethic I needed to create the physique I wanted that directly applies to building a business.

Reading and learning consistently from people who have been there before me. TMF is a great example, led me to the summit, led me to people that have helped me a ton.

Finding a mentor who literally broke it all down for me, showed me where i was being stupid, and pointed me in a direction to succeed and continues to teach me.

No bs either, buying the INSIDERS subscription. Theres a couple threads in there that are literally a blue print that you can follow and adopt to your process (not copy) that help a TON

Really interesting man. Love the story.

How did you get to a point where you had the monies available to buy a duplex?

huven

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 20, 2017
USA
Best decision I ever made when it comes to business? I started making ice candies and sell them for like a few pennies and I never thought the result would grow big. That's where I started studying marketing business to educate myself.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Really interesting man. Love the story.

How did you get to a point where you had the monies available to buy a duplex?

I saved my money from my job if you make 2k/mo and save 1k/mo you'd have enough by the end of the year. (depending on where you live. Using an FHA loan you can put 3.5% down and i put that down on a 155k duplex.)

ScottRoj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
800%
Apr 1, 2017
Blacksburg
The decision to learn html when I was around 13. First website was a DragonballZ website haha. This led to figuring out ways I could monetize sites, internet marketing, et. HTML was probably the catalyst that opened me up to the world of entrepreneurship down the road -- and the idea of freedom.

"Wages will earn you a living. But profits will earn you a fortune." -Jim Rohn

Oh yeah, and the decision to listen to Jim Rohn. That guy is awesome.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
A few months ago having a discussion with a friend about how I didn't like my job or the work culture of investment banking. Found out she's making 6 figures doing website design + SEO for local businesses and working very few hours. Really blew my mind and a lot of lights went off for me that it was even possible.

Since then, it's inspired me to fly through entrepreneurial books and learn every day.

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
A few months ago having a discussion with a friend about how I didn't like my job or the work culture of investment banking. Found out she's making 6 figures doing website design + SEO for local businesses and working very few hours. Really blew my mind and a lot of lights went off for me that it was even possible.

Since then, it's inspired me to fly through entrepreneurial books and learn every day.

So she makes over $100,000.00 per year designing websites?

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Finding this forum and started reading again. I've now put in plans to start a new business - bought a couple of things last night to make this happen. Progress thread coming soon!

northerndough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2015
Montreal, Canada
How have you made money investing in domains ?
Yes, I've sold a few but I also refused a good number of other offers. My preferred route is one of partnership / joint venture. I would rather find a partner or partners interested in developing one or more of my names than sell them outright. Unless of course I get an offer that keeps me awake at night ;-) I don't have domains that number in the thousands like some people have. I have just under 200 names, but these have been harvested over many many many years. I've let drop quite a few as well as you get to know which ones are worth keeping after being involved in domain names for so long. So the ones I do have in my portfolio can be considered pretty good. A few are simply outstanding and provide the basis for interesting ventures. I am spreading the good word for some of the best ones using social media. So the word is getting out and eyeballs are being attracted and eventually I know I will find the right opportunity for one or more of my names. Take a look at my website where you can view some of my names (not a complete list though) InvestInMyStartup.com. Curious to know which one or ones catch your attention most out of the whole lot. Thanks for your time!

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
So she makes over $100,000.00 per year designing websites?

Hey man,

That's correct, she's been doing web design and SEO for local businesses in the NYC area for 6-7 years and said last year she made about 150k. I've never been a big reader, but ever since I've been inspired by that conversation, it's felt really great to be learning every day and challenging myself to escape the slowlane.

Dan1el

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Mar 26, 2016
What would you say your top 3 positive habits are ?

Hmm.. Hard to pick but if I have to choose 3 I would go with:

Doing something for my health everyday, hitting the gym, or something as simple as taking a 30 minute walk while listening to a podcast. Without our health we dont have much, make sure to take good care of it.

Meditation, I do it for 15 minutes twice a day, first thing in the morning and right before I go to sleep. This have done so much for me and my general happiness. Cant imagine a life without it now.

Reading 10 pages of a helpful book a day. The key here is to take action on what you learn, don't get stuck in the learning loop and the "just one more book and then I will take action".
Take action and keep learning along the way and the things you learn, make sure to take 100% action on it.

And a "micro habit" I have is to replace every negative thought I notice I have with a positive one. Its almost automatic now. And I notice how much more positive and optimistic I have become because of it!

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
Taking my business idea seriously. Last June I dedicated my time to reading books and planning for this business. I officially kicked things off in Feb and I recently regained my starting expenses. My life is changing for the better. I can feel myself reaching "I don't give a f***" mode. The good one

Great to hear. What are some books you read you would recommend?

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
Hey man,

That's correct, she's been doing web design and SEO for local businesses in the NYC area for 6-7 years and said last year she made about 150k. I've never been a big reader, but ever since I've been inspired by that conversation, it's felt really great to be learning every day and challenging myself to escape the slowlane.

Ok.

So are you now learning web design on your own?

Assuming that you are, do you think that teaching yourself webdesign via a website like teamtreehouse is the way to go or would you rather sign up for a bootcamp?

I read a statistic somewhere that the internet has create more millionaires in the past 5 years than it has in the past 20 ?

I think its amazing the amount of leverage the internet allows us to have.... so many different ways to make money online... where to start ?!

Thank you for sharing this.

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
Yes, I've sold a few but I also refused a good number of other offers. My preferred route is one of partnership / joint venture. I would rather find a partner or partners interested in developing one or more of my names than sell them outright. Unless of course I get an offer that keeps me awake at night ;-) I don't have domains that number in the thousands like some people have. I have just under 200 names, but these have been harvested over many many many years. I've let drop quite a few as well as you get to know which ones are worth keeping after being involved in domain names for so long. So the ones I do have in my portfolio can be considered pretty good. A few are simply outstanding and provide the basis for interesting ventures. I am spreading the good word for some of the best ones using social media. So the word is getting out and eyeballs are being attracted and eventually I know I will find the right opportunity for one or more of my names. Take a look at my website where you can view some of my names (not a complete list though) InvestInMyStartup.com. Curious to know which one or ones catch your attention most out of the whole lot. Thanks for your time!

Very interesting.

Let's say I was your partner.

I would buy one of your domains, design it/modify it and then sell it to someone else for a higher price and then we would split the profits?

I'm still slightly confused as to how you have been able to generate income via selling domains.

Do you sell them or rent them out to clients?

northerndough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Very interesting.

Let's say I was your partner.

I would buy one of your domains, design it/modify it and then sell it to someone else for a higher price and then we would split the profits?

I'm still slightly confused as to how you have been able to generate income via selling domains.

Do you sell them or rent them out to clients?
The key I think is that I don't need to sell any names to survive. I have a manageable number of names. Also, I have a full time job that takes care of my bills and expenses, thus I don't rely on my domain names for revenue. Although I dream of the day when I won't have to work at a full time job anymore. I look at domain names the same way as others look at buying duplexes, with the exception that I don't get calls in the middle of the night from tenants because of a water leak, etc. :) I believe in the value and potential of some of my names. The names I sold in the past were names that I believe I got good prices for and it didn't hurt too much letting them go. But again, the key is that I don't need to sell any names to survive. Thus I can be patient and wait for the right partner and / or opportunity. To answer your question, if you were a potential partner, I would NOT sell the name to you. Instead, if you came to the table with a proposition for one of my names, and if I liked it, we would go into a venture 50/50 or with some other arrangement. It could also be 80/20 for you in cases where you bring some key asset to the table (ie: if you're a coder and have a swell idea). Show me that you can bring in millions of dollars, and I'd be happy even with 10%. Beats having undeveloped domain names. It's like having prime land in the downtown core, and waiting to build something on top of it. There is so much you can get for a domain name, unless you own something like sex.com. There is much more value to be derived by developing good domain names. Yes, it takes much more work, but you can also derive much more value. And like I like to say, a good domain name allows you to do more, with less work and less money. Hope all this makes sense. Please ask if you have more questions. Thanks for your interest.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The third week in my cubicle when the novelty wore off, i looked 360 degrees around me and i basically realized
"How the F*ck did i let my life come to this?"
and then...
"There's no way in hell I'm doing this for the rest of my life"
then i went home and started making my first app.

The system checked me, but it didn't checkmate me.

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
The third week in my cubicle when the novelty wore off, i looked 360 degrees around me and i basically realized
"How the F*ck did i let my life come to this?"
and then...
"There's no way in hell I'm doing this for the rest of my life"
then i went home and started making my first app.

The system checked me, but it didn't checkmate me.

What programming language did you learn for you to be able to start making apps?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
What programming language did you learn for you to be able to start making apps?

I develop in Unity3D, so for 3 years i used UnityScript(Javascript), but recently I was forced to switch to C#

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.