The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The best decision you ever made ?

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016
To everyone out there,

What is the single best decision you have ever made related to business?

Was it starting a business with your high school buddy? Or creating a blog that now serves as your primary source of income? Or was it just a commitment that you made to yourself that you would never stop learning/growing & taking action until you reached all your financial goals?

I'm interested in knowing what everyone owes part of their success to. I understand that hard work & consistency are part of the formula of success but were there not some decisions (seemingly unimportant back then) that you made that dramatically changed the outcome of your life as an entrepreneur?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Bought a duplex and rented out the other side when I was 20. Now im 22, i dont pay rent and other people pay me to live for free.

Started learning about online business when I was 17/18, now im making a legitimate income from working at it for so long and starting to understand it.

Started working out when i was 14 - taught me the discipline/work ethic I needed to create the physique I wanted that directly applies to building a business.

Reading and learning consistently from people who have been there before me. TMF is a great example, led me to the summit, led me to people that have helped me a ton.

Finding a mentor who literally broke it all down for me, showed me where i was being stupid, and pointed me in a direction to succeed and continues to teach me.

No bs either, buying the INSIDERS subscription. Theres a couple threads in there that are literally a blue print that you can follow and adopt to your process (not copy) that help a TON

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bought a duplex and rented out the other side when I was 20. Now im 22, i dont pay rent and other people pay me to live for free.

Boom!

Nik Krohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jun 27, 2014
Utah
One of the best business decisions I ever made was purchasing a product line that was fully patented with a large social following and email list. I essentially shifted from selling services (sorry this will keep you on the slow lane) to selling a product online 24/7/365. I had always sold other peoples products and services by doing marketing for them. Now I do marketing for MYSELF.

Its been 6 months since I made the change and the $/hr is WAY better then when I was doing 20k/mo doing services for other with no time.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Stealing Mrs jon from her ex

I don't recall seeing a progress thread for this venture...

I'm sure there is some gold somewhere in that story.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Taking my business idea seriously. Last June I dedicated my time to reading books and planning for this business. I officially kicked things off in Feb and I recently regained my starting expenses. My life is changing for the better. I can feel myself reaching "I don't give a f***" mode. The good one

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Mine was to quit one of the most secure jobs with one of the most secure companies. I worked at HP and was working my way through the management ranks. Everyone thought I was a fool to leave that job.

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
I'm turning 30 in 4 days.

Hard to pick the best decisions of my life but I'll give a few that seem to me like they qualify.
(These all relate directly to my business / entrepreneurship even if they don't seem like it):
  • Dedicating myself to Classical Piano in college (when friends & family thought it was insane.)
  • Starting my Tutoring Biz (when friends & family thought it was insane.)
  • Learning to ride motorcycles (when friends & family thought it was insane.)
  • Riding a 33-year-old motorcycle from Austin to NYC, to meet the girl who broke my heart (this was insane).
  • Opening my first physical office (this felt insane and terrifying). Likewise for hiring my first part-time employee.
  • Learning to appreciate my parents and stay on good terms with them (they used to drive me insane.)
  • Starting my SaaS company in 2017 (when I thought I was going insane.)

Notice any trend????

Last edited:

Chopwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 31, 2017
Crested Butte , Colorado
1. Applying and getting a job with Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) out of school. Big 5 consulting world is grad school on steriods with a paycheck. Since then I have been with a 2 small consulting companies and most recently KPMG. Invaluable skill sets for entrepreneur world.
2. Buying a multi million $ retail business in a mountain town I love, which in turn I had to sell at a major loss during the banking crises
3. Getting back into the retail game, learning from past lessons.

Having grit, living life to the fullest while continuing to move forward learning from challenges (some call failures). Calculated risks. Expanding your hobby/passions to coincide with business life. Have passion. Show up. Take notes, always take notes (mentally, physically, however). Pay attention.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Taking @Vigilante's advice and just getting shit done. No excuses, no bullshit. Took me 2 years to get to that point, but I'm still well on my journey.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Becoming a father.

Changing my life through books.

Mindset by Carol Dweck that thought me a I have a static mindset but that I could change it to a growth mindset.
The Millionaire Fastlane and Early Retirement Extreme that thought me there are ways out of the rat race.
Give and Take by Adam Grant that thought me that one can be successfull by giving.
A guide to the good life - the Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by Villiam Irvine and Antifragile by Nassim Taleb but I dont know why..

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Decided to learn how to build websites by helping an out of work electrician instead of taking a web design course.

This was the key turning point for me in many ways:

1) It got me out of IT contracting which was 100% slowlane, and into something that showed me almost immediately how I could divorce my time from income.

2) I "fluked" my way out of the slowlane learning loop and straight into the "do whatever it takes to add value (aka help someone)" mindset.

3) It taught me that you don't need to be an "expert" to say "Yes" and help someone, and get paid.

4) It's helped me gain a particular skillset that businesses are prepared to pay for.

Here's the main takeaway:

You can hear the full story here:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The best decision you ever made ?

I went to secret meeting with a secret purpose at a hotel offered by a stranger on the internet.

Dang it, just kidding.

Easy question for me... moving to Phoenix from Chicago. The sunshine changed everything.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.