The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Baby Sitter - Execution not working as planned

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I haven't looked at your website but this sounds like the perfect MMO product from Mums to make extra money from home with, considering you say everyone shown it in person buys it. Only issue would be the margins. Also you could try doing payment plans, like 4 payments of $40 or something, or a we send it to you, if you don't like it send it back deal to remove buyers resistance to the price.
Add a few more products and create an MLM.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
The whole business kind of scares me from a liability stand point. I get the double meaning of the your name, but a baby sitter also says, 'sit my baby in here so I can get a break for a few minutes'. Reading all the warnings would make me think again about sitting a baby in there (no sleeping, no curling inside, not propped up too high, keep your babies airways open at all times...) .

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
The whole business kind of scares me from a liability stand point. I get the double meaning of the your name, but a baby sitter also says, 'sit my baby in here so I can get a break for a few minutes'. Reading all the warnings would make me think again about sitting a baby in there (no sleeping, no curling inside, not propped up too high, keep your babies airways open at all times...) .
That's the case with ALL baby products.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Update: I've made some temporary changes to the site just to have something up there. But here is the design we are trying to go with, can I please have some opinions and feedback.

I am going to have the age thing anchored to another page (product instruction -redoing it now) so when people click they can read about the science on that and then how our product benefits

Side notes, should the images (first 6) have any bullet points or no?

New Site <--

http://www.thebabysitter.co/the-baby-sitter-cushion/

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
The new site is definitely an improvement. Already tells me a lot more about the product with less scrolling.

I would make the images clickable too, and yes maybe bulletpoints, depending on what info you have. There's no strict rules for that, it depends on your message.
You can tell it with bulletpoints, image montage, image rotator etc.

Ps. Just a personal opinion: the whole site has a nice clean white design, full of cute babies - the delivery guy with the brown paper boxes on the top image don't really fit in there :) You are trying to touch the hearts of the parents, calling their kid a little miracle... and then suddenly there's a man with a van and brown boxes... :)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Ps. Just a personal opinion: the whole site has a nice clean white design, full of cute babies - the delivery guy with the brown paper boxes on the top image don't really fit in there :) You are trying to touch the hearts of the parents, calling their kid a little miracle... and then suddenly there's a man with a van and brown boxes... :)

LMAO you're not a fan of the "UPS-Guy" so funny you pointed that out. We'll see if we can design something else. Thank you for the feedback!

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I haven't looked at your website but this sounds like the perfect MLM product from Mums to make extra money from home with, considering you say everyone shown it in person buys it. Only issue would be the margins. Also you could try doing payment plans, like 4 payments of $40 or something, or a we send it to you, if you don't like it send it back deal to remove buyers resistance to the price.

How would you make this a MLM, I was thinking "Brand Ambassadors" get 5% - 10% plus a free product (so at the minimum at least other mom/mum friends see it).

We do have a product guarantee but to just have returns just on iffs would be rather expensive. BUT at the same time I did research that most people never follow through with it, make the process difficult/long, etc...

Any suggestions on that return policy. And a payment plan, how would one incorporate that?

OP - FYI, the text link to your product site in your forum sig is wrong [text is right, link is wrong] - you're actually sending ppl like me who clicked on it to www.thebabysitter.com [which is for sale], not the .co like it should be :p Hopefully you didn't typo anywhere more important! :)

I had a very quick skim of your site, I have two small boys and we had one of the donut sitting pillow things and tried to use it both times round [doubles as a nursing support pillow and a sitting pillow for the baby]. Neither of them ever actually sat still and use it. Right from day one we got a whole lot of use out of a simple metal framed bouncy chair though when they needed to be confined/have a nap. That was probably the most useful baby accessory for us. You kinda learn fairly quick that you don't need most stuff lol.

I didn't see this post sorry. I wanted to scroll to see if I got everything though. Boy's love this product. When we had case studies and shoots and what not. The boys (and older girls) would stack them, make forts, etc... They absolutely love this product. The day center we just sold product to yesterday (in person, spoke for 5 mins and they used it on a kid then bought immediately didn't even blink when signing check -I was surprised to be honest haha) called us and said how the older toddlers wanted more. Well looks like I am going back soon :)

And yes a lot of products are useless and obsolete after a few months. They may have a use for 2 months of a child's life but that's ridiculous why get something with such a short lifespan? Why we really tried to change a lot of features on this product to make it longer i.e. inserts, shape, size, fabrics, etc...

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I don't really understand the benefits of a foam ring. Perhaps explain it better in your next video or in your landing page hero shot.

Whats a landing page "Hero Shot"?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Oh a slider image. Yea cheers mate. Will definitely get a better video and maybe a lifestyle shot for slider when we do video :)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I appreciate everything guys. The hero shot, or what I call it slider haha. Makes sense based on the the title/name now that I think of it works for me.

Main goal is to reduce bounce rate. Ours is 16% so I know people are staying. We also have over 1000 sessions in the past 7 days alone and over 400 unique users. So I know the Hero Shot (love that name -sounds a bit dirty to be honest now that I think about it) isn't the issue. We're going to have a video up soon and have our new landing page completed!

Thanks for help. Please assist with updates on new landing page. We're trying to get more and more info to improve. In all honesty everyone here has been helpful. If you know anyone that would want one of these let me know and I will give you a 40% discount just for the assistance.

Update: Can anyone assist me with critiques on new design?

Last edited:

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
I didn't see this post sorry. I wanted to scroll to see if I got everything though. Boy's love this product. When we had case studies and shoots and what not. The boys (and older girls) would stack them, make forts, etc... They absolutely love this product. The day center we just sold product to yesterday (in person, spoke for 5 mins and they used it on a kid then bought immediately didn't even blink when signing check -I was surprised to be honest haha) called us and said how the older toddlers wanted more. Well looks like I am going back soon :)

And yes a lot of products are useless and obsolete after a few months. They may have a use for 2 months of a child's life but that's ridiculous why get something with such a short lifespan? Why we really tried to change a lot of features on this product to make it longer i.e. inserts, shape, size, fabrics, etc...

Ahh sorry, now i get it - yes, for sure both our little boys would love to play with these now they're big enough to throw them around/build walls/forts/jump on-off etc. (at 2 & 4 they're doing this with anything they can move that isn't nailed down now). A group situation like a daycare etc that had lots of them would be great fun. Nice way to extend the use! I was being a bit short-sighted lol I am at work, this is what it does to you ;)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Ahh sorry, now i get it - yes, for sure both our little boys would love to play with these now they're big enough to throw them around/build walls/forts/jump on-off etc. (at 2 & 4 they're doing this with anything they can move that isn't nailed down now). A group situation like a daycare etc that had lots of them would be great fun. Nice way to extend the use! I was being a bit short-sighted lol I am at work, this is what it does to you ;)

You're a sweet, don't worry I wasn't upset. You do get the long-term purposes of our product, which is why I think our market really extends to age 5. We wont sell new cushions per say, but the fabrics will be a Xmas present or something. The new DC hero or Disney movie etc... On a side note, would you mind checking out the site and give me updates on what you now think of the design? Please! I would be so grateful :)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Can someone please give me some pointers. Is the site not clean anymore? We were getting sales before, but now I havent gotten 1 in a couple of days. Is this just a hump. Anyone have any marketing tips/ideas?

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I've changed the site, ran some ads, increase traffic, even sold a few units, got onto multiple online e-commerce stores and my sales are still not where I want them to be. I would like some advice on e-commerce. Perhaps my value isn't being identified or my price is too high. Is anyone keen on sharing how to properly price an item. I really would like to know as of right now I fear that my main issue may be pricing.

Competitors are roughly $40/unit but they are half the size. Literally half the material. My costs are probably double because of that and need to be smart about cost in order to have mark ups and PROFIT.

But all in all, I have no idea what to do. I pumped in 1k for marketing got 1.5 out of it [that campaign] which mind you isn't really worth it. What can I do to make this go from 0 to 15 (not even 60 or 100, just 15 haha) I want to grow the sales to about 100 units per month. What can I do to get this to happen. Would love ideas and tips.

Side note my other business is going rather well making a lot more long-term sales and it's feeding me well :) I need the baby product company to become more self-sufficient so I dont spend the other business's income on that. All in all, I know we have legs we got invited onto HSN and they are interested in buying trying to setup another meeting. But in all honesty, it's just hard to sell the units I want without a salesforce pushing it.

Any tips?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Have you consider going to other baby product retailers (online and offline) and asking them to sell your product for you - you keep the stock and ship the products out, they just list them on their website (you can provide them with the copy & unique HD pictures) or you can give them a few different models for them to display as floor demos in their brick and mortar (and but again, you keep the stock, they just sell and then place the order through you and you handle the shipping).

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
My view, on the copy, is that it's too logical and not emotional enough. Further, it doesn't really have a specific point to make.

So I click on to the website, "hmm, I wonder what this is all about then...", scroll down to the wall of text telling me what it's about, and...

A long, confusing, semi-technical explanation on what the product is. I think you would see much more success by engaging them, drawing them in, building up a pain point (so they're nodding in agreement as they read through)...and then promising to fix it. Identify with them and then tell them what result you can get them. You can give them the techy-speak when they click through to "Learn more", but you need to engage them and get them excited about the concept and benefit first. Facts and figures-seeking is what you do when you're already curious - so make them curious first.

At the moment, it reads more like an INTJ explaining an engineering concept to another INTJ.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Here is what I would do:

1. Hire a copywriter/web designer - your headline, product description and copy layout sux. Your site layout sux.
2. Hire some to make some funny videos using your product with the intention of them going viral
3. Pay popular baby pages on FB to promote your videos
4. Hire a team of outsourcers to register at all of the baby forums/sites, expecting mother forums/sites. Find at least 50.
5. Have them post a few times acting like expecting mothers, ask real genuine questions that other mothers would ask - do this for a few weeks
6. After your 3 weeks is up, ask: "Has anyone heard of <your product here>? I was think of getting one for my child. Thoughts?"
7. Either rake in the sales or take their feedback and improve your product.

Good luck!

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
If you want to to try and illustrate the benefits and pluses of yours over competition, and even differing products with similar end use then a comparison chart in your landing page that clearly and visually highlights how your product is better is a very powerful thing.

Simple grid, products are columns yours the left hand one, features and benefits you've selected are rows.

Make use of colour for ex your products column in the chart has a green bg, others grey bg. You just visually make your column stand out in a nice positive way. Don't mention price. Illustrate things you're legitimately better on like size, warranty years, easy to clean, made in USA, etc etc you get the idea.

Easy to implement but a very powerful sales tool :)

I've changed the site, ran some ads, increase traffic, even sold a few units, got onto multiple online e-commerce stores and my sales are still not where I want them to be. I would like some advice on e-commerce. Perhaps my value isn't being identified or my price is too high. Is anyone keen on sharing how to properly price an item. I really would like to know as of right now I fear that my main issue may be pricing.

Competitors are roughly $40/unit but they are half the size. Literally half the material. My costs are probably double because of that and need to be smart about cost in order to have mark ups and PROFIT.

But all in all, I have no idea what to do. I pumped in 1k for marketing got 1.5 out of it [that campaign] which mind you isn't really worth it. What can I do to make this go from 0 to 15 (not even 60 or 100, just 15 haha) I want to grow the sales to about 100 units per month. What can I do to get this to happen. Would love ideas and tips.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
If you want to to try and illustrate the benefits and pluses of yours over competition, and even differing products with similar end use then a comparison chart in your landing page that clearly and visually highlights how your product is better is a very powerful thing.

Simple grid, products are columns yours the left hand one, features and benefits you've selected are rows.

Make use of colour for ex your products column in the chart has a green bg, others grey bg. You just visually make your column stand out in a nice positive way. Don't mention price. Illustrate things you're legitimately better on like size, warranty years, easy to clean, made in USA, etc etc you get the idea.

Easy to implement but a very powerful sales tool :)

I apologize, but I don't understand fully what you mean here.

Also
1. Hire a copywriter/web designer - your headline, product description and copy layout sux. Your site layout sux.

What do you mean layout sucks. I've gotten a lot of positive responses from website, I can understand about content and description. I also do recognize the technical aspect of content.

What would be a good place to start, even if hiring a copy writer. Where would be the right place to search for good copy writers?

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
What do you mean layout sucks. I've gotten a lot of positive responses from website, I can understand about content and description. I also do recognize the technical aspect of content.

What would be a good place to start, even if hiring a copy writer. Where would be the right place to search for good copy writers?

For starters, 99% of what's above the fold is a giant image with no real call to action and what call to action there is: "Find Out Now", doesn't even appear to be clickable: ie. no cursor on mouseover. The giant image doesn't show what the product does or convey any value to the consumer.

The 2nd portion has no real headline and an image that again doesn't explain what the product is. And a huge wall of (technical data) text.

I could go on, but that should give you a start...

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Okay going to change the first two folds. Thank you. Also changing mobile to make less scrolling and waste. My obvious issue is I am too technical. My other business is software and development so I guess I am just programmed to be technical so I need to find someone that can help me.

For now going to create a slider using this new text, any opinions would be great!

You have a child. She wants to play. He wants to move. Only problem, they aren’t big enough to do it on their own. So what do you do, Throw some pillows together? Yet when you turn around for one second, you find them somewhere else. We have a better solution. The Baby Sitter Cushion!

Adding testimonials later today/tomorrow so that should help. We're removing the blocky text section completely. Is there anything else that I can do. Thanks for all your help guys!

Also what services/tools work for BA that yield consistent ROI

I don't mind spending 2k on marketing, but I want to ensure it will result in 50-100 conversions or something. Would appreciate any and all advice with this question. Also when people do buy the product, they are raving about how it works and typically get a friend to buy but the organic growth is slow. How can I increase it?

Also is pricing too high? I was thinking of lowering the following...

1. Base: Current - $60 New - $45
2. Fabric: Current - $25 New - $20
3. Gift Set: Current - $87 New - $75

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
I apologize, but I don't understand fully what you mean here.

Here's a grab of what i mean, sorry if i didn't explain very well was on my phone. In this example its a supplement product being compared to others, using ingredients as the comparing factor - you'd use other features or benefits of your product, where yours is better - for example you offer free shipping your competitors don't, your items have detachable washable cover, others don't - you get the idea?

You simply illustrate why/how your product is superior to the competition, without resorting to mentioning price. Can be highly effective, and can be applied to pretty well all products/services. :)

comparison-table.jpeg

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
You simply illustrate why/how your product is superior to the competition, without resorting to mentioning price. Can be highly effective, and can be applied to pretty well all products/services. :)

Okay the design isn't final just wanted to make a quick thing. But how does this compare? Does it provide value? Is it something that emphasizes our product's features? Are the categories I choose correct, in your opinion?

I appreciate the help and support, I truly do!

Attachments

• Comparison.png
    Comparison.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 7

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Okay the design isn't final just wanted to make a quick thing. But how does this compare? Does it provide value? Is it something that emphasizes our product's features? Are the categories I choose correct, in your opinion?

I appreciate the help and support, I truly do!

You got it, perfect :) it's just to try and illustrate visually and simply why ppl. Should buy your product instead of competing one. What you did looks great :)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
You got it, perfect :) it's just to try and illustrate visually and simply why ppl. Should buy your product instead of competing one. What you did looks great :)

Thank you so much for the support. This will be going up near the section " Why therapist call this product a must have?" Is that a good idea, instead of the boring text it currently has? Also should there be a learn more button anywhere or anything like that or what?

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
To test your new comparison I'd actually not take anything away to start with, add it to the page under its own how does our product compare section. If you have a bit of baseline conversion data already don't change a lot of things at once or you end up not knowing what caused improvement or decline. Change a little, test, change, test. Hth.

PS thanks so much for the Rep $ that was really good of you didn't need to, happy to help where I can in between small screaming kids lol.

Thank you so much for the support. This will be going up near the section " Why therapist call this product a must have?" Is that a good idea, instead of the boring text it currently has? Also should there be a learn more button anywhere or anything like that or what?

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Sorry if this is irrelevant but I didn't have any time to read through this/explore your site.

When entering your site it strikes me that you only sell to expected male babies. Not sure if you target all sexes or not.

b8uIO7Y.png

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Sorry if this is irrelevant but I didn't have any time to read through this/explore your site.

When entering your site it strikes me that you only sell to expected male babies. Not sure if you target all sexes or not.

b8uIO7Y.png

Point well taken, I normally write your child's development. Actually had a designer create this ad for me. I will tell him to fix :) (He has a son so I can see why he wrote his).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.