The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
Look man, this isn't the place for this. there should be nothing but positive vibes in this thread
because they want it built and they don't have the time or the knowledge to do it themselves. At least that's what I assume the reason is. I've had people help me with one idea already although I ended up dropping it because I couldn't figure out how to make it work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Knowledge is power. There is no short cuts! So Obviously you have to take the time to problem solve and learn something new. Get out of your comfort zone, and decide what is more important in your life out of your free time.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Why would a potential customer help me design the product?
They are the absolute determination of what they, themselves, would want to buy.

Would you buy something that you had no use for or didn't meet your standards? (Rhetorical question btw)

Look man, this isn't the place for this.
I disagree. This thread is about learning the dolphin mindset. On the first page alone it talks about loving the hell out of others.
This, in my opinion, is pretty much the same thing. If you don't love your customers they can and will go somewhere else where they feel that love.

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
Look man, this isn't the place for this. there should be nothing but positive vibes in this thread

Really?

Look. This forum is about the most difficult task to do on the earth: Getting rich early and retire 30 years before your "supposed" to.

You think building a business is rainbows and butterfly's? That's what you sound like.

Have Mj, Zen, and ICK opened our minds from thinking "i want to make money" to "provide value and love people"? YES, they have. And thats great, because it's the truth. You can read all you want, which I do in fact, I'm reading 18 hours a day on this forum and business books recommended, but your going to have QUESTIONS, and the only place I'd ask a question too is successful people, aka a few people on this forum. Otherwise you can just go ask your parents about making money, who don't know how to make money. I'm sure that makes sense.

And now to the question "why wouldnt a customer help you make the product?"

If some guy called me, or approached me and said, "hey I got a product you might like, it solves this problem. Want to help me make it?" My response: "I don't have time to help you make it, I have a life, I work full time, I go to school, I have kids, I like to go out, why would I help you make a product, are you going to pay me?"

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
If some guy called me, or approached me and said, "hey I got a product you might like, it solves this problem. Want to help me make it?

If I was in a business making a load of cash and spending lots of time/money on a problem that could be solved with software... then yes i would

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013

If some guy called me, or approached me and said, "hey I got a product you might like, it solves this problem. Want to help me make it?" My response: "I don't have time to help you make it, I have a life, I work full time, I go to school, I have kids, I like to go out, why would I help you make a product, are you going to pay me?"

Well sure if you asked that way then I wouldnt help either..... But what about " hey I'm designing a product that will save you over $1000 a month and at least 2 hours a day, do you have a few minutes to spare so I can have your input? For your help I will give you a special discount blah blah blah..."

Give them a reason to help you, and make it hard for them to say no

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX

The fact that we all have a life, work, school, kids, etc. is the very reason that it makes sense to help someone who is actively seeking to simplify processes and save time/money for you. Remember in the book the two brothers building the pyramids, one worked hard building a pyramid and one worked hard, for a much shorter time, to built a better way. As a bonus you get to have real input to get your problems solved in the best way possible to meet your specific needs. And it's not that time intensive to answer some questions about what would make your life easier. Sure, I'd probably ask for the solution for free or something from the developer in exchange, but who cares if they go and sell it to other people once it's done.

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
Actually, ask RichKid how much money it takes to start a business.

Here, I'll do the work for you, since you deserve it -

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-guide-to-buying-and-selling-anything.35889/

It takes 10 dollars to start a business, technically any website is a "business". So it takes 10 minutes to "start a business" Of course if I did that, it wouldnt make any money, its just a random website with nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burned The Boats

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 28, 2014
Well sure if you asked that way then I wouldnt help either..... But what about " hey I'm designing a product that will save you over $1000 a month and at least 2 hours a day, do you have a few minutes to spare so I can have your input? For your help I will give you a special discount blah blah blah..."

Give them a reason to help you, and make it hard for them to say no

I apologize I thought we were talking about regular people....not business owners.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
It takes 10 dollars to start a business, technically any website is a "business". So it takes 10 minutes to "start a business" Of course if I did that, it wouldnt make any money, its just a random website with nothing.

busi·ness
noun, often attributive \ˈbiz-nəs, -nəz, Southern also ˈbid-\
: the activity of making, buying, or selling goods or providing services in exchange for money

: work that is part of a job

: the amount of activity that is done by a store, company, factory, etc.

Just a website is not a business, if you're not trying to sell something.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Please get back to getting the ice cream, ladies and gentlemen. Lock in. Focus. Execute.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Why would a potential customer help me design the product?

I'm making an assumption that you are a one man team, cold calling / emailing business owners trying to nail down an interview so you can pinpoint their pain points and solve them with a software solution.

So. This game is about relationships, and qualifying your client. Before you do anything, you must have a clear picture in your mind's eye of who you want to target.

If you just talk to 'anybody' the method will not work. But if you nailed down a profitable industry, qualified the businesses you will contact by the # of employees, yearly revenue, projected industry growth, (use whatever metrics ..) and found the contact details of the decision maker in charge...and

approached them in an honest way seeking to understand their industry, their role in the business and uncover potential pain points that once solved will bring them 100 times the value at only 10% the cost.. (or however you decide to price anchor).

Now. You have the seeds for a beautiful relationship.

Honesty, openness, sincerity, solution focused, #1 outcome is dialed in on providing value to someone who was once a stranger, now an associate or dare I say friend in the years to come.

"Moving at the speed of Trust" as Stephen M. R. Covey would say.

This is what this 'game' of entrepreneurship is about.

Our job is to bottle up that sincerity and get it across as fast and as poignant as possible to those we want to work with -- and ultimately deliver awesome results.

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Is this the truth? Are they really hard to connect with? Or are you the one being difficult to connect with?

There is an interesting force within the universe that many do not see...the yin and the yang side of life. At the heart of everything, the bottom line is this: if you want something from the world then you must give it away first.

If you want power then be the guy who EMPOWERS people. If you want abundance then give abundantly. If you want love, you give love. If you want friends, you give your friendship.

I don't have any statistical evidence to prove this concept, but I can tell you that my life has so far been a manifestation of it.

Here's the crazy catch about all of this though...you don't necessarily RECEIVE from the same direction that you GAVE. Everything ultimately balances out though. Giving your friendship to a particular person doesn't necessarily mean that they will give their friendship back, BUT you will likely receive friendship from someone else to offset this.

Look at the Dolphin's life. The guy EMPOWERS people on an amazing level. What ends up happening? People from all over the place are willing to leave everything that's safe and comfortable to them just to get a shot at working with him even though there is no guarantee of success...that's the secret power: you GIVE abundance away, then you RECEIVE abundance.

All of this connects to the very first post of this thread: love others.

(Tl;dr: - You have to not care about the event of being wealthy in order to be wealthy; instead, you have to care about building, trusting in, and executing a process)

I've found this to be perhaps the most important concept I've learned from the forum.

We all want to make money. Period. However, time and time again it's been demonstrated on this forum that if you approach things from a "give me money" aspect, you wont be rich. In order to get massively rich, you have to not care about money. It seems crazy, and it is, but it works.

Think about the guy who steps up to the plate, bottom of the 9th, game 7 of the world series. Bases are loaded, 2 outs. Team is down by 3. If he hits a grand slam - they win the world series. If he hits anything less, his teams loses and gets to watch the other team celebrate.

He knows the score, knows what's required, and knows the long odds against him. Make no mistake - there is literally nothing in that moment he wants more than to hit that grand slam. NOTHING. He wants it SO BAD. He would do ANYTHING to get it.

But as he walks up to the plate, he also knows something else. He has to RELAX. He has to trust the process. He has to do nothing differently or special, because he has, over time, honed a process and routine borne through training, study and practice that has made him successful and gotten him to this moment.

He has to TRUST the process. He has to TRUST the preparation that led to this moment. And most importantly, he has to have the right MINDSET and NOT CARE ABOUT HITTING A GRAND SLAM!

That's right - his best chance for succeeding in the moment that he has literally prepared his entire life for, is by not caring if he succeeds. Because if he does anything differently, his mind (conscious and unconscious) will not be able to focus on the task at hand. He's going to spend mental computing cycles thinking about "oh my god, I need to hit a grand slam...what if I fail? What if I hit a single? I should swing as hard as I possibly can, instead of swinging like I always swing" which will take away from the computing cycles he needs to succeed.

Look at any athlete who succeeds in a clutch moment. In the post game interviews, the interviewer always ask something like "take us through that game winning shot - what was going through your head!?" We expect to hear "well, I thought about the gravity of the situation. I was all-consumed with succeeding in that moment. I didn't trust any of the preparation that got me here - instead I swung my hockey stick as hard as I possibly could - something I never do, by the way - I tried my best to focus intently, and obsessed about tiny details unlike any other time in my career...because I wanted it so bad!"

Instead, they always say "I don't know - I saw the opening and relaxed and just took the shot!" Or "I just told myself to have fun out there." Or "I just did what I always do - I knew it would go in."

The process has been laid out in this thread and others. You literally have all the information you need for success repeated in numerous threads all over this forum. You have to identify the process, trust the process, and execute the process. You have to not care about getting rich - instead you have to care about helping people. If you do those things, you will succeed. I'm living it right now, I'm learning to relax and trust the process (which BTW for an analytical guy like me is very hard), and I've never been more successful in business in my 5 years of trying. It's awesome.

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Really?

Look. This forum is about the most difficult task to do on the earth: Getting rich early and retire 30 years before your "supposed" to.

You think building a business is rainbows and butterfly's? That's what you sound like.

Have Mj, Zen, and ICK opened our minds from thinking "i want to make money" to "provide value and love people"? YES, they have. And thats great, because it's the truth. You can read all you want, which I do in fact, I'm reading 18 hours a day on this forum and business books recommended, but your going to have QUESTIONS, and the only place I'd ask a question too is successful people, aka a few people on this forum. Otherwise you can just go ask your parents about making money, who don't know how to make money. I'm sure that makes sense.

I cannot be bothered to deal with this drama, if you want to start a business with no money then go for it. All the power to you.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
We all want to make money. Period. However, time and time again it's been demonstrated on this forum that if you approach things from a "give me money" aspect, you wont be rich. In order to get massively rich, you have to not care about money. It seems crazy, and it is, but it works.

Yeah its petty and has none of the attributes required to endure and excell.

He's going to spend mental computing cycles thinking about "oh my god, I need to hit a grand slam...what if I fail? What if I hit a single? I should swing as hard as I possibly can, instead of swinging like I always swing" which will take away from the computing cycles he needs to succeed.

+1

Clear mind, clean results.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
if you want to start a business with no money then go for it.
I agree, that way you learn how to bootstrap and get amazing work ethics because you have to do EVERYTHING yourself.

I believe that if you are inexperienced with money and try to start a business with money, you are in for a massive failure that some people never recover from.

If you think your boss is bad, wait till you meet yourself when you're working for yourself. You wont take a break, sleep becomes a day dream, every little detail needs to be checked...

What about ice cream? That will have to wait till the job is done to eat that.
That wait is what makes the ice cream sweeter.

Ronr3914

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 4, 2014
ICK, this thread is ridiculous. Thank you for the value that you have provided and for attracting the more experienced members to this thread. Since reading this thread in its entirety I have come up with two new business ideas as a direct result of being mindful and looking for pain points. Now I know it is time to take action. I just hope that the failure associated with the action is quick and painless and fruitful in its harvest. Thanks again.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Just do your best to think with clarity and commit 100% because 99% is PAINFUL. When you're committing 100% there's no more hesitation because you simply made the choice that the tasks at hand MUST be done. Things somehow come more easily when you're committed at 100%.

I once saw a video where Will Smith talked about his approach to committing to do something. Once he has commited/decided to do something, his view is that the only way that he will not accomplish what he set out to do is death. It's a simple concept when you think about it.

As you put it my friend. Stay 100% commited.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I once saw a video where Will Smith talked about his approach to committing to do something. Once he has commited/decided to do something, his view is that the only way that he will not accomplish what he set out to do is death. It's a simple concept when you think about it.

Unless it is a destructive goal, then imho you owe it to yourself to work even harder and adapt it to be positive.

Here is the vid

Last edited:

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Unless it is a destructive goal, then imho you owe it to yourself to work even harder and adapt it to be positive.

Here is the vid
Agreed. The point is once you decide to do something do it and don't let anything stop you but be smart and adapt along the way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.