The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 48 Laws of Power

Anything related to matters of the mind

PC60756

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 10, 2009
Midland, NC
48 Laws of Power

Thought I'd post this and see what you guys/gals think. A lot of these "laws" seem pretty ruthless and cutthroat (think The Prince or The Art of War) but do ya'll see any value for entrepreneurs here? Do you see anything that could be severely detrimental to the entrepreneurial mindset? Curious to see what everybody has to say. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rcardin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 30, 2007
Arlington, TX
I have read parts of it. Should definitely be taught in High School. I see many traits in myself and the political atmosphere that is teaching.

As for the entrepreneur I think you should study it and learn how to apply each lesson to a real life situation.

Money is power, if you can't handle the power you can't handle the money.

Think Wesley Snipes:D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think there are some good nuggets of wisdom there and some other things I don't agree with, maybe it's just how it is worded.

Business is not just a competition but a war for the mind of the consumer. I like to focus my effort on that war as opposed to what my competition is doing.

memenode

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 22, 2008
Europe
I just opened a whole bunch of tabs including this one, skimmed these laws and it seems that they're generally coming from a "competition oriented" mentality.

And that reminds me of the book by Wallace Wattle, The Science of Getting Rich whom emphasizes the creative mentality (or creative plane) as much more powerful than this competition oriented mentality.

It's not to say that competition is bad or doesn't happen. It's just a difference between seeing yourself in some constant race for wealth, as if there's never enough and seeing yourself as the creator of wealth for yourself and others too. You create wealth rather than "take it" from a limited pool. This is how innovation and technology works. It always manages to create more out of less.

So it's not about power over others. It's about power to create.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
I agree with many of the laws
but not with the reasoning behind them.

For example
Play a Sucker to Catch a Sucker – Seem Dumber than your Mark

You keep it simple,
not to 'catch a sucker'
but because people don't buy from people who make them feel dumb.

I was on a writer chat yesterday
and one of the writers used a big word
I didn't understand.
Well, I piped up and asked
and then a bunch of readers chimed in,
saying they didn't know either.
You think they're going to buy a book full of words they don't understand?
Not a chance.

Blondieblue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 7, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
There are some good things on the list, but for the most part; I think a lot of the rules and the subsequent mentality would actually be detrimental to a entrepeneur. A lot of the rules discount a person's own personal power over their lives, with all the talk about having to crush and decieve; and making people enemies. I think true power comes from within each individual person, and has nothing to do with anyone else; or asserting power over them in any way.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 12, 2007
Really this book is a good one. There's a lot of great points that may even be perceived as beneficial to someone both in their business life and social life. Although some of the titles may be misleading the points I think are really essential life skills. Anyone who hasn't read this one will definitely be at a disadvantage to someone who has. A lot of it talks about famous as well as infamous past characters including Niccolo Machiavelli, Winston Churchill, and Queen Elizabeth.

I would recommend this book but would also recommend you checking out Andrew Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. Warren Buffet as well as many others have attended Mr. Carnegie's lectures.

savvacon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Feb 12, 2009
North of Toronto
I bought this book about 7 years ago when I worked downtown and had to take the subway everyday so I would read it on the ride to and from work. I think it is a very interesting book with a lot of useful information the problem is that the author is a little too cut throat at times and it comes across like he has some peronal issues. By the way his follow up book called the Art of Seduction is not nearly as good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.