The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 4 Hour Work Week Vs. Millionaire Fastlane

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
If you like Tim Ferrriss, your bullshit detector is very weak.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dexta

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 2, 2011
Seoul, Korea
4HWW can't be compared to MF. They are just too different. However, there's a book that can hedge the differences between the two and show you that 4HWW is in fact possible in a very fastlane way. I see it like this:

MF ----- "Work the System" by Sam Carpenter ---- 4HWW

Work the System is the bridge between the two, and the one book that seriously changed my mindset, more so than MF. I read WTS first, then came across MF, and MF just reinforced (with more business sense) what I was already trying to accomplish after reading WTS. WTS goes through how the author turned his business around from bankruptcy to multimillion dollar industry leader (I think) and went from working almost all day to almost nothing at all. So there are areas of overlap between WTS and 4HWW, but 4HWW doesn't go through the process in nearly as much detail as WTS. When I read 4HWW, it was like a much poorer version of WTS, no real guts in it but had a sliver of truth.

Anyways, they all go against mainstream thought, so I'll be keeping them all on my bookshelf.

If anyone hasn't read WTS yet, I highly recommend it. But you might need to have a real business to make any use of it.

Cheers

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Jeez. Why all the haters?! I love both books and both authors. Their premises are not in conflict. Several other posters (including MJ) have articulated the primary differences in philosophies. But seriously!?

If you like Tim Ferrriss, your bullshit detector is very weak.

What exactly do you perceive as BS? His successes are verifiable; and from my experience, his advice is useful.

A summary of my two very favorite books in my lifetime of reading (hundreds of) self-help/business books:

4HWW - A view into a lifestyle never imagined by most whereby one has TIME to have experiences he enjoys almost immediately by eliminating a lot of THINGS and being more resourceful with his time (using time management principles, outsourcing, telecommuting and passive income creation).

Millionaire Fastlane - A detailed formula with which to build a business that will yield a lifestyle of TIME and THINGS after a few years of building a business that can either be sold or that will provide passive income, with minimal time required.

To my mind, these concepts are not contradictory. At a high level, Tim's advice results in a faster lifestyle change (even tho I don't think even Tim would suggest that a 4 hour workweek is going to happen next week!); MJ's results in a more permanent lifestyle change including both time and things. Although, either method could produce the same results. Whichever book you prefer largely depends on your life's goals. But for me, all these books are like a big ol buffet table. Take what works for you.

In my own life, I have been able to utilize a lot of 4HWW's principles to buy back more of my time so that I can put into place the formula put forth in MF. For one of many examples:

Right now I work from home (4HWW). I subcontract out menial tasks (Excel, ppt, etc) to VAs for $7/hr, netting me 95% of my contracted rate, AND buying back 10ish hours/wk. (4HWW) This is 10 extra hours I have available to analyze opportunities and projects for CENTS, to build brands, etc. (MF).

Last edited by a moderator:

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I like both books for different reasons. FLM is the best no BS blueprint I've ever seen. Here's the problem with it, people are brainwashed by society to aspire to (at best) the slowlane. What MJ talks about is so radically different to what they believe that what he preaches is blasphemy to the slowlane religion and is instantly discounted as a scam. While I can see why MJ named the book what he did I believe it creates a hurdle for the average Joe hearing about it.

4HWW on the other hand while not as ultimately useful as FLM, it at least opens peoples eyes to the insanity of spending your entire life working for a couple of weeks a year of traveling or hoping you're well enough to do it when you retire. I agree Tim completely glosses over business creation and makes it sound easy to create a passive income business (muse) that affords you the luxury to travel however you want. I also don't think you can under-estimate the marketing genius of Tim. Using Google ads to test his book title was brilliant. He also knows exactly who his audience is and knows what buttons to push to get them to buy books. Compared with most of the absurd financial advice being spouted by posers I give it a solid B

PrincessK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 19, 2009
Both r Good

The Four Hour Work Week is great because it teaches you the concept of outsourcing and how to maximize your time.

It also introduces concepts like miniretirements and being able to spend more time enjoying yourself. If you have a certain amount of money and you know where to get things done it makes a lot of sense. even if you are not working 4 hrs a week lets say you are working 10 or 15 its still better than draining your soul to build someone elses dream

The Millionaire Fastlane is great because it teaches process and wise decision making which is priceless because our choices create our results

Love
Conquers All

PrincessK

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
It also introduces concepts like miniretirements and being able to spend more time enjoying yourself. If you have a certain amount of money and you know where to get things done it makes a lot of sense. even if you are not working 4 hrs a week lets say you are working 10 or 15 its still better than draining your soul to build someone elses dream

This is a point I didn't hit but you are exactly right. People are completely blown away when I tell them I have a girl in Malaysia I pay $3 an hour for repetitive work and I over-pay, she's thrilled and she always refers to me as Sir Norm which is a cultural thing, but hey I get a kick out of it anyway :). Or that I have a lady in Oregon that works from home and is a godsend. She handles all my customer support now and I've never met her, only talked to her a handful of times in the 2 month since she's worked for me and we're both thrilled with the work arrangement. And then there's fiverr.com which is so awesome for simple tasks - it's such a no-brainer.

PrincessK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 19, 2009
Absolutely !! It just makes sense . I am having to stop myself because I love writing naturally but there are a ton of people out there that are great at what they do and I can spend maybe 15 minutes editing vs 2 hrs writing

Love

PrincessK

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Although I appreciate the idea of entrepreneurship, I understand that 4HWW suits my personality.

The books are not in conflict - they simply speak to different personalities. Some individuals are hard working entrepreneurs who can make anything a success. These individuals are talented, intelligent and good at what they do - which is building businesses.

I'm lazy. There is absolutely no way I could compete; nor would I want to.

I am an investor. I like to identify talented entrepreneurs and hitch my cart to their rising stars. I'm not a great driver, but I can sit in the passenger seat just fine.

The more I study business, the better an investor I become. It's all about who's gravy train I can jump on.

Best regards.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Are you sure his successes are verifiable apart from book launches?

=> The Hackensack: How much was Tim Ferriss really making from his supplement business?
=> The 4-Hour Body: 60 Percent of The Time it Works Every Time! | Beyond Growth
=> The 4-Hour Body Review – Addendum | Beyond Growth

Are you sure he is working 4-hour work week? He must be working more than 4 hours per week looking at the amount of promotion he did with his books if you carefully follow his launches.

You may want to see the following video debate between Donny Deutsch and Tim Ferriss. Donny is no doubt a success and he is actually worth hundred of millions, while Tim is probably not even a millionaire.

=> 4-Hour workweek: How to escape your 9-5 job - Books - TODAY.com

And while I am at it, there is a reason why Tim Ferriss is a "success" in selling books. It is because he follows the golden rule of persuasion. According to Blair Warren, persuasion can be summed up in just one sentence:

People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions and help them throw rocks at their enemies.

What exactly do you perceive as BS? His successes are verifiable; and from my experience, his advice is useful.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Are you sure he is working 4-hour work week? He must be working more than 4 hours per week looking at the amount of promotion he did with his books if you carefully follow his launches.
He has said himself that he definitely "works" more than 4 hours per week because he chooses to. But he has before, and could again. Most people don't have that choice.

... while Tim is probably not even a millionaire.
Seriously? 4HWW alone has been on the best seller list for over 2 years; it has gone thru 40 printings and has been translated into 35 languages. You really don't think he's made a million dollars from that? Are you high? He was recently listed as #13 on a list of top 100 most influential Venture Capitalists. I'm pretty sure it requires a little money to be a full time angel inverstor.

People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions and help them throw rocks at their enemies.
Okay?? Is there something wrong with this?

Where is your animosity coming from? Did he steal your girlfriend before prom?

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
c5OQ1.gif

He has said himself that he definitely "works" more than 4 hours per week because he chooses to. But he has before, and could again. Most people don't have that choice.

Seriously? 4HWW alone has been on the best seller list for over 2 years; it has gone thru 40 printings and has been translated into 35 languages. You really don't think he's made a million dollars from that? Are you high? He was recently listed as #13 on a list of top 100 most influential Venture Capitalists. I'm pretty sure it requires a little money to be a full time angel inverstor.

moondogy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 25, 2011
So far I think MJ is saying, do something, many things, eventually something special will appear. He is trying to explain all the variables in his book. MJ did not grow up thinking he can change the world wide limo service. He fell upon it as a driver, came up with an idea and ran with it. It happened to have worked for him. It could have gone the other way if one of the elements were missing or out of sequence. But it all fell in place. He re-engineered and documented his thoughts, experiences and processes and he has a book. Now he's out and about promoting his get rich concept. Great idea...

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011

Here's my thought - you can either take the info for what is is and use it for yourself if it works or not, but the information is not the author.

Tim does not work 4 hours a week, hasn't since the book came out. He did and that worked for him at a point in his life. To Tim's credit he doesn't go around saying this is what I do today and come to my mega seminar where I will teach you what I do. The 2nd edition of the book was just a minor update that updated some of the resources.

Is there some fluff in the 4hww - no doubt but to say there is nothing valid in there that could substantially improve peoples lives because the author doesn't stay frozen in time is silly.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
He DOES seminars ;)

mj-laughing.gif

Tim does not work 4 hours a week, hasn't since the book came out. He did and that worked for him at a point in his life. To Tim's credit he doesn't go around saying this is what I do today and come to my mega seminar where I will teach you what I do. The 2nd edition of the book was just a minor update that updated some of the resources.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
He DOES seminars ;)

There's a difference between being a speaker at a seminar pushing your book and putting on seminars which cover the same things in the book and try to sell additional crap which is exactly what Robert Kiyosaki does. If I'm wrong and you can show me a link to an event he's put on then I stand corrected.

The fact that his new book has nothing to do with the 4hww proves he's moved his attention elsewhere.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There's a difference between being a speaker at a seminar pushing your book and putting on seminars which cover the same things in the book and try to sell additional crap which is exactly what Robert Kiyosaki does. If I'm wrong and you can show me a link to an event he's put on then I stand corrected.

He does have a 3 day seminar that costs $10,000 to attend. He is not going over methods mentioned in his book at this seminar though. It's about something else.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
The "something else" is selling how to be #1 best selling author. So, he is teaching others how to be successful at selling books.

=> Opening the Kimono to 200 People and Baring It All

Ferriss is no different from Frank Kern and invented a persona that would appeal to lazy, gullible people.

He does have a 3 day seminar that costs $10,000 to attend. He is not going over methods mentioned in his book at this seminar though. It's about something else.

Beef Supreme

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 12, 2011
Having read both books, I think there is useful information in 4HWW. But you have to look beyond the hype.

When Ferriss talks about developing a "muse," he's talking about a simple business that, in my view, is a baby step toward a Fastlane business. Unless I'm reading him incorrectly, he doesn't claim that the process is easy or guaranteed to work. What he means by a "muse" is an online retail business that is sustainable without a tremendous deal of direct work by the business owner.

He talks about how you need to find a product that meets a need. If it's a product, he discusses how to source it. If it's an information product, he talks about how to produce it. Then there's discussion of how to use Google AdWords to see if there is sufficient interest to take it to the next level. The goal is to have a complete system -- source the product, handle transactions, deliver the product -- that doesn't require you to individually make the product, go to the Post Office and ship each order yourself, manage each transaction. For it to be a working "muse," you should be the business owner, not the shopkeeper or stock clerk. You don't want to replace your day job with another day job.

I think it's useful information. To turn a "muse" into a Fastlane business, you need to find something of greater scale than the examples given in the book, but the principles are valid. The key is scalability.

Also, I want to add that Ferriss' seminar isn't about "how to start a business." It's about him explaining how he's managed to put two books on top of the best seller lists. It's about the techniques he used to promote himself and his books. And, love him or hate him, I think he's an expert on that.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Both books are great, anybody who disagrees is narrow-minded. End of story.

keithshane1981

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 10, 2011
I read MJ's first and I'm currently reading 4hww now. Funny thing, I stumbled upon 4hww as an audio book and listened to it on a road trip. I am 10 chapters in and though I feel a lot of the outsourcing he talks about puts YOUR company at risk. MJ talks about never relinquishing control of your business and I believe him 100%. I still find valuable information in 4hww but i'm glad I read fastlane first. It's hard to give a comparison between the two because it seems like MJ's direction with his book was kind of like a ratrace(matrix) disconnect. He wants you to think for yourself and most importantly ACT. 4hww has its points so far and provides a lot of resources to help the Joe's out there get the ball rolling. The biggest point they both drive home is to get out there and get something going!

my thoughts

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I wouldn't consider outsourcing relinquishing control. You are in control of what they do.

I like MJs book better, definately a better formula.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I agree that the 2 books should not be compared. They both represent different notions and ends of a spectrum.

It seems as if Mr. Ferris has many accomplishments in many different areas, each of which have the winning end result. He may be implying that we need to take action where we stand, in whatever we may do.

Mr. DeMarco on the other hand, had a large winning result. IMO, this is the main difference. Many accomplishments with the end result in mind, or one big accomplishment with execution and procedure in mind.

Would you prefer to be a Jack of all trades, or an Ace.

I could be totally incorrect though...To each his own.

Sky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 6, 2011
I knew a post like this would come to pass. The two books are really different from one another. I could go on and on about it but i think I' ll pass on this one as many of you have made the necessary comparisons already.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Most people read the 4HWW the wrong way.

The point of the book is NOT to tell you to only work 4 Hours a Week, the point is that you spend so much of your time on pointless stuff that you could generate the same income with only 4 hours/week.

It's really a time management book. In fact, many of the people who read the book regularly work 60+ hours/week, and use the material from the book to MAXIMIZE that time, so that it is spent generating revenue, rather than e-mailing and doing other worthless tasks that don't add to the bottom line.

I'm a big fan of Tim Ferris, but I never really liked his first book until I realized this.

You can't compare Millionaire Fastlane to it. Millionaire Fastlane teaches you how to build a successful company, while 4HWW teaches how to maximize your time within that business.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I think the Fastlane book has some hints in there that the writer does not really like the philosophy of Tim Ferris.

Grills

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 11, 2016
London
(This is my first comment so go easy on me.)

I have read the 4HWW several times and think it's a great book. But I would because I have spent the last couple of months making the 4HWW possible for me. I have literally scaled down my business and lifestyle to the point where I can literally live off the income of a couple of my websites, using many of the method that TF describes and promotes. I haven't actually looked at the numbers in terms of time yet but, I think I can maintain the sites and traffic with about 2 hours of actual work hours a week.

I say that in the context of, on a personal level I have no opinion of TF as an individual. But I have a huge amount of respect for him because while he links to tools and has "entertaining" stories (and headlines) to suck people in, in my opinion his content is actually about getting you to ask yourself: "Are you living the quality of life that you actually want for yourself?" If not, he tries to offer you alternative things you might find interesting based on his experience and those of others he has come across. Thats not to say many of the things he promote are his own or owned by his friends - much like MJ promoting his book.

When I read the book he didn't seem to say it was going to be an overnight process to follow and you will make easy money. I am pretty sure he says you need to be prepared to fail fast so you don't loose too much time or capital. So, I don't understand why a number of the people who have commented earlier take the view that "...TF being successful on a 4HWW but, I haven't yet, and I can't see it happening so he is lying." seems like an odd way to look at things.

Also, TF's book is not just about making money - it's about working out what your goal is and then trying to be objective and asking yourself: "Am I being efficient in what I am doing to get there". Some people are happy in their jobs so they don't need to build a muse, some people would rather be at home with the family and traveling, if you are the latter, his book sets off the spark and points you towards the path, that is up to you to start exploring and commit to it.

I am not out of the woods yet, I still want to grow my business to the point where I feel comfortable and then some, but I thank god, I found this book and have been able to leave the grip of having to work 8 hours a day for 260 days a year. I say that knowing that I took the action, only 1 other person out of the (at least) 10 other people I know to have read the book, have followed though on any of the ideas and he has had better results than me.

In short - I found the book to be very useful. Maybe it just clicks with the way I think about things and the knowledge/ experience/ mindset I bring to the table...

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I read his book twice didn't really get much out of it. There were to clear instructions or anything like that, most chapters were confusing. Only found a couple pages useful. But I guess his whole model is "hate doing things? Then don't do it hire some random guy from india for cheap and get them to do all your work".

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
I prefer TMF to 4HWW. It resonated more with me.

But here is what I will say about the 4HWW:

I have never seen a book successful entrepreneurs have attributed to their success more than the 4HWW.

I could name more than 30 successful big hitters online that has attributed a lot of their success or the fire that started it all to the 4HWW.

I'm not saying TF isn't full of bullshit or a fraud.

I'm not saying 4HWW was not full of fluff.

But to say all those big hitters don't know what they are talking about is stretching it too far.

So take what you will from this thread but the 4HWW was a phenomenon.

Read this:

http://www.tropicalmba.com/4hww-10-year-anniversary/

I read his book twice didn't really get much out of it. There were to clear instructions or anything like that, most chapters were confusing. Only found a couple pages useful. But I guess his whole model is "hate doing things? Then don't do it hire some random guy from india for cheap and get them to do all your work".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.