• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Book Why does 4 Hour Workweek get no love around here

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by ChrisV, Sep 12, 2018.

1. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Not that it was my favorite book ever, but the message is totally in line with Fastlane thinking. I notice no one talks about it. No one recommends it. But it’s almost exactly the same message as TMF. It’s all about building a self-sustaining business that lives and breathes on it’s own with very little input from the owner. It’s about simply building a cash machine. Imo it’s literally TMF’s twin brother. So why no love for it around here?

GMSI7D, jwhanke, ColbyG and 1 other person like this.
  2. lowtek

lowtek Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $17,195
    I generally wonder this as well, though I think it has to do more with the title than anything else. It would seem to imply you can build an empire in just 4 hours a week.

Certainly, the book doesn't state that or imply it. The whole point was to apply the paretto principle and automate/delegate repetitive low value tasks. This can only be done after the grind has revealed what works and what doesn't.

They also deal with different types of businesses. T4HWW seems to focus on the lifestyle business, the thousandaire fastlane as some others have said. Obviously, TMF is focused on a different set of problems.

Deceiver, jwhanke, Mattie and 5 others like this.
  3. Rawseed

Rawseed Legendary Lurker Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $825
    I love Tim Ferriss. I've read the all five books. I listen to the podcast.

But, a Productocracy trumps a Muse.

All Productocracies are Muses, but not all Muses are Productocracies.

4HWW seems to attract a lot of Infopreneurs selling hope and abusing persuasion techniques. TMF is actually focused on providing and presenting true value.

4. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,966
    Looks like it’s already getting some love around here. I have no problem with 4HWW, I just found it to be more about dropshipping and out sourcing and think it created an army of lazy people who think entrepreneurship is found on a beach with a laptop being a middle man and working more than 4 hours a week is for idiots.

MFL is about problem solving, grinding, and at the end having the option to work 0 hours a week.

My biggest issue of contention with 4HWW is the catchy title which led so many as @lowtek pointed out to ignore the process behind the results and attempt to jump straight to the end.

ChrisV likes this.
  5. Rawseed

Rawseed Legendary Lurker Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $825
    johngur, jon2089, 100k and 1 other person like this.
  6. jcvlds

jcvlds JC FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $758
    I read the book several years ago so can’t remember specifics, but from what I recall, I don’t think it neglected Control..

It didn’t seem to push the reader into a particular platform/marketplace, say Amazon, and had several marketing tactics, both offline and online, such as Google Ads, magazine ads, PR, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    I totally forgot what a muse is. It’s been so long since I read that book.

8. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    Well you could argue the same of TMF, no?

9. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    I remember it suggesting roughly the same thing TMF did. “Take some time to initially build a money printing machine (a self sustaining business) and the you just have to spend 4 hours per week maintaining it.”

But yea, I agree. Tim Ferris never really spoke of been a milionaire, even though those ideas could be used for that purpose. I found 4HWW to be more shallow and technique driven than Fastlane, and I checked out his forums and it’s mostly disappointed people like “ugh i tried this and it didn’t work.... guess it’s back to getting a job :(“ (it was kinda sad reading their heartbreak and the fact that Tim didn’t participate on the forums.)

That’s the main thing I noticed. 4HWW was very light on theory. He doesn’t really talk about providing good, honest value.

I think I’ll check this out.

10. 100k

100k Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,859
    I love it. Its def. worth the read if you haven't read it. It opens up your eyes to what's possible (if you're stuck in the rut of 9 to 5). I know people hate Rich Dad Poor Dad, but I think that one is worth the read as well - as it teaches you how to accurately view assets, investments and the importance of building a team.

I've yet to get around to MJ's new book - hopefully I'll read it later on this year when I get a chance, but his first book is a all time classic that should be mandatory reading for teens before leaving high school.

Shanice likes this.
  11. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,382
    4HWW is great and I enjoyed the read, but I find it suits a "lifestyle" business, and I want to build an actual business. For that reason, I don't see it as my favorite book, but still a great read/starting point.

100k likes this.
  12. S.Y.

S.Y. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,372
    Curious to know @MJ DeMarco position/opinion on this.

13. jcvlds

Rep Bank:
    $758
    A business is a business.

“Lifestyle” business is just a label people put on certain types of businesses, typically due to smaller size in operations and revenues.

However, that does not make it Not an ‘Actual’ business

Fotis likes this.
  14. Sebastya

Sebastya Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $1,382
    Fair point. I guess I would rephrase and say I have bigger goals and see TMF as the book that will guide you in that direction better than 4HWW would.

ChrisV and jcvlds like this.
  15. Rawseed

Rep Bank:
    $825
    @jcvlds I have to disagree with you there. 4HWW didn't discuss control at all.

Before starting his podcast, Ferriss didn't have much control in his own business.

He didn't own the copyrights to 4HWW or 4HBody. And likely still doesn't. So, the publishers had the control.

4H Chef failed (in Ferriss' eyes) because Ferriss lacked control of his book's distribution. The book companies blackballed him because he published it with Amazon. And Amazon failed to deliver the expected sales.

Before the podcast, he was wealthy on paper, but had no control of his money because it was all tied up in startups. These are Ferriss' word, not mine.

The podcast is what gave him the control he needed and the podcast is his CENTS business.

focusedlife likes this.
  16. jcvlds

Rep Bank:
    $758
    That is his personal business story...

I believe we were discussing what his book ‘teaches’.

17. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $1,786
    Nobody really has a problem with that book here. It's Rich Dad poor dad that gets sh*t on here. Also that one guy with the lambo and books in his garage.

Sevan, lowtek, Rawseed and 1 other person like this.
  18. MTEE1985

MTEE1985 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,966
    I mean, you can argue whatever you want in this world. My personal opinion is that the majority of people who read 4HWW think entrepreneurship is:

1. Buy laptop
    2. Open Shopify store
    3. Download Oberlo
    4. Quit day job as money rolls in

The majority who read MFL think entrepreneurship is:

NOTABLE! - "Tell me the exact steps" (OK, here are all 67 of them.)

That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy the book or think he’s some kind of “guru”. I like a lot of what he does.

Again, all my opinion, as is every response in this thread...an opinion.

Longinus, Tommo and Rawseed like this.
  19. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $177,727
    I like it and have read it twice over the years.

jwhanke, NickB, Greg R and 4 others like this.
  20. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,431
    Admin Post
    My opinion of what? The book? Or the OP's thread?

Greg R and Vigilante like this.
  21. Rawseed

Rep Bank:
    $825
    @jcvlds I agree. I first stated that control wasn't mentioned in the book.

By mentioning his personal business story, I'm implying that he may not even have appreciated the importance of control. At least until he got burnt by it.

And I'm not poo-pooing on Ferriss. He's a multimillionaire and he did it the right way. He's provided far more value than he's received in money. You can buy all of his books for $100 and if you execute on them, they'll change your life.

I've read it and listened to it at least five times since 2007. The entrepreneurship or muse part is only one aspect of it.

4HWW was definitely my "red pill" and I'm forever indebted to it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Determined2012 likes this.
  22. S.Y.

S.Y. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,372
    Should have been cleared. Sorry. Of the book.

23. jcvlds

Rep Bank:
    $758
    I see. Point taken

Rawseed likes this.
  24. Rawseed

Rep Bank:
    $825
    I'm new here. I didn't know that RDPD wasn't appreciated here.

I love that book. I'll have to do a search of the old posts to better understand why.

Shanice likes this.
  25. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $7,705
    i don’t know if i should be insulted at that lol

100k likes this.