The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Teacher, Real Estate, Or Youtuber?

DifficultTruth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Nov 22, 2016
Thanks everyone..

Yes, the fitness channels are so saturated, I origninally began with a fitness channel because honestly after reading Think and Grow Rich I thought to myself if I could have any job in the world what would it be? And I said I'd want to have a life like Chris Jones from youtube who does what he wants all day, makes videos, trains, and make business moves.

So, I started my channel, and stopped due to the saturated market. Now, I am doing lifestyle help (hair, clothes, dating, grooming etc), but yes, there is already the Alpha M channel who does this. I also don't want to be seen as a "Scammer" - as in i'm teaching people to be successful (although not with money) but yet I am broke (well i'm a teacher in NY so i'm no where near rich).. But all of your suggestions are great-- I guess the question is can I have a channel that's different already than someone who is similar to what i'm doing- ALpha M... and its very difficult.. so i am stressed and confused..

There are a lot of people in the market, just as everyone else said, what makes you better than them? Find what you are fantastic at and utilize it. There are people who specialize in coaching in specific areas such as being a "style consultant" and there are a absolute ton of people in the "dating" market, yes there are the pickup artists, but there are also a lot of "real" relationship coaches as well. There is absolutely room for you to have a similar channel to these people, but you have to add VALUE to a large enough market. You also need to at least look the part, if are teaching about style, your style better be top notch, fitness you better be 6% bodyfat, etc or you will come off as being that "scammer," type.

I am not trying to discourage you, but when you say "I am stressed and confused" all of this over becoming a life coach, you might want to ask yourself "am I a life coach, is this who I am meant to be?" I am not saying it should be effortless, everything worth doing is hard work, but you should also find joy and be passionate about this, the best life coaches are extremely passionate about what they do, and love helping and adding VALUE to others.

My only successful venture outside a traditional job has been life coaching, I did zero marketing, started by helping friends and grew via world of mouth personal referrals, and I "fell" into it. I always try to help people, but began to be so busy trying to build a fastlane and focusing on improving myself that people realized they had to pay me to get my attention. I really enjoy doing it, but I know it's not my calling or career in life, it might be something I do for fun when I have already built myself the life I want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
There are a lot of people in the market, just as everyone else said, what makes you better than them? Find what you are fantastic at and utilize it. There are people who specialize in coaching in specific areas such as being a "style consultant" and there are a absolute ton of people in the "dating" market, yes there are the pickup artists, but there are also a lot of "real" relationship coaches as well. There is absolutely room for you to have a similar channel to these people, but you have to add VALUE to a large enough market. You also need to at least look the part, if are teaching about style, your style better be top notch, fitness you better be 6% bodyfat, etc or you will come off as being that "scammer," type.

I am not trying to discourage you, but when you say "I am stressed and confused" all of this over becoming a life coach, you might want to ask yourself "am I a life coach, is this who I am meant to be?" I am not saying it should be effortless, everything worth doing is hard work, but you should also find joy and be passionate about this, the best life coaches are extremely passionate about what they do, and love helping and adding VALUE to others.

My only successful venture outside a traditional job has been life coaching, I did zero marketing, started by helping friends and grew via world of mouth personal referrals, and I "fell" into it. I always try to help people, but began to be so busy trying to build a fastlane and focusing on improving myself that people realized they had to pay me to get my attention. I really enjoy doing it, but I know it's not my calling or career in life, it might be something I do for fun when I have already built myself the life I want.

Thanks, great advice. I will try to find my niche to add value. I agree with everything.. except the 6% body fat lol.. that's possible for shows a few months of the year! Very hard to maintain that all year round!

But again, I appreciate it. TIme to add value, lets go!!

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Update:

Hello guys,

After much research, thought, and looking at the small, barely any growth on my youtube and lack of sales - I have decided I am not going forward with the youtube. I realized that selling fitness, dating AND fashion advice is a little much and I would be better off focusing on 1 rather than all. And the fitness is WAY too saturated, the fashion isn't as much in need as there are so many blogs, and the dating is possible, but already done.

I have been seeing so many ads for self help gurus, and "improve your life now" type people all over facebook and instagram, and it makes me think twice as well. I have also decided not to go ahead with the real estate as it is slowlane in the fact that if I stopped selling, I stop getting paid.

I have decided I want to start an e-business, the question is now figuring out which e-business exactly I should start. So, I will leave up my youtube and website for until it expires, but not focus any more effort/energy on it.

Thank you guys for all your help; time to find the next thing!

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Update:

Hello guys,

After much research, thought, and looking at the small, barely any growth on my youtube and lack of sales - I have decided I am not going forward with the youtube. I realized that selling fitness, dating AND fashion advice is a little much and I would be better off focusing on 1 rather than all. And the fitness is WAY too saturated, the fashion isn't as much in need as there are so many blogs, and the dating is possible, but already done.

I have been seeing so many ads for self help gurus, and "improve your life now" type people all over facebook and instagram, and it makes me think twice as well. I have also decided not to go ahead with the real estate as it is slowlane in the fact that if I stopped selling, I stop getting paid.

I have decided I want to start an e-business, the question is now figuring out which e-business exactly I should start. So, I will leave up my youtube and website for until it expires, but not focus any more effort/energy on it.

Already thought you wouldn't continue with that, but at least you're trying. No reason to be in a hurry :) Good luck, you'll find your way.

JillianHW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 16, 2017
Ontario
Update:

Hello guys,

At least you have decided what you are NOT going to do, this will save you wasting a lot of time and effort. I hope you find your passion.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
A YouTube channel shouldn't take away from other things in your life, unless you're already making money off of it. If you're having fun with your channel, keep doing it; if not, quit. I find YouTube channels are better for people who have fun with something and wanna show the world, less so for people starting out trying to make a cash flow business. For example, my sister has a YouTube channel just for the fun of it, and has over 100K followers.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
With respect to your YouTube channel:

The presentation is decent. You are articulate and seem natural on camera. So I think you've cleared the first hurdle (i.e. not being awkward on camera).The problem I see is the content - it's pretty generic (at least the few videos I watched). If you want to pursue YT, then focus on what unique insights you can bring to the channel.

Think about some of the top fitness YouTube channels (I come back to these often because it's such a competitive vertical) - Pump Chasers, ft. Chris Jones is successful mostly because of his personality. The dude's optimism, sense of humor, and hustle are infectious. It's more of a motivational type channel than instructional, at least the past couple years.

Omar Isuf (hands down best fitness channel) fills the gap with quality content. Everything he posts is factually accurate and actionable. If you want serious advice on how to get bigger and stronger, that's the place to go. He's also got a good camera presence and a sense of humor, so his videos are fun to watch.

IMO, those are the best fitness channels on YouTube. Both bring something unique to the table - Chris Jones with his hustle and entrepreneurial life style, and Omar Isuf with his PhD level information that you don't find on other channels. They have an angle that works for them, and are both pretty successful in the niche.

You already said you didn't want to compete in fitness (wise choice), and want to do a male lifestyle channel. Great - what can you add that Alpha.M and Real Men Real Style don't already present?

I would stay away from the dating angle - the whole pick up artist bullshittery has kind of poisoned that well. It's not enough to tell men to up their value on the sexual market, you gotta tell them magical incantations that make womens' panties hit the floor.

TL;DR

Find and focus on what makes you unique in your vertical - make sure it distinguishes you from the other big dogs in that space

@lowtek , I loved your breakdown of OP's channel. Do you think you could do one on mine? (Alfred Awosanya)
I'm having a similar predicament with my channel, my content is a mix of motivation and business but recently I haven't been sharing much biz knowledge because I'm not at a stage in my life where I have massive amounts of knowledge from experience. I've been thinking of just calling it quits and return when I have had more experience but people advice me to keep going. I'm going to continue for a year and make my decision then.

For OP:

I feel as if you're trying to do too many things at the same time but you're rationalizing it as "nobody is doing ALL 3 of these things so I can do that to stand out!", imo you may stand out but you won't make money. There has to be a reason why nobody is doing all 3. I recently made a video on my channel where I advised people to focus on one thing and then branch out from there.

Hope that helped, also don't allow all the replies on this thread to paralyze you. Just do what you originally wanted to do, you'll probably fail but it's better to experience it at the beginning than take other people's word for it.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
@lowtek , I loved your breakdown of OP's channel. Do you think you could do one on mine? (Alfred Awosanya)
I'm having a similar predicament with my channel, my content is a mix of motivation and business but recently I haven't been sharing much biz knowledge because I'm not at a stage in my life where I have massive amounts of knowledge from experience. I've been thinking of just calling it quits and return when I have had more experience but people advice me to keep going. I'm going to continue for a year and make my decision then.

For OP:

I feel as if you're trying to do too many things at the same time but you're rationalizing it as "nobody is doing ALL 3 of these things so I can do that to stand out!", imo you may stand out but you won't make money. There has to be a reason why nobody is doing all 3. I recently made a video on my channel where I advised people to focus on one thing and then branch out from there.

Hope that helped, also don't allow all the replies on this thread to paralyze you. Just do what you originally wanted to do, you'll probably fail but it's better to experience it at the beginning than take other people's word for it.
If it'll "probably" fail then I obviously wouldn't do it knowing that.

3 things is a lot, yes, and I realize I would have to really master 1 of those things. And then with guys like Tai Lopez showing how to have the "good life" with all of his lamborginis and models all around him, and a huge house- it's hard to compete with that and tell people to live their life to the max.

I have however came out of this learning about e-business, and advertising.. which I plan to utilize for whatever business I can think of next..

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

Don't stop. You've got quite a bit going for you. The production quality is good, you're articulate, and you're starting from the bottom so it's an opportunity to chronicle your journey.

My one criticism is that it is motivation focused. I understand that motivation is what sells and it's easy and safe to produce that kind of content. That makes it a low barrier to entry field, and means that success is going to be more difficult. It's also an arena dominated by Tai Lopez, Gary V and Uncle G. I would swap out that content with more actionable material that reflects your real world experience. It will make the channel more valuable, and more of your own.

Check out Alex Berman's channel on YouTube for an example of what I consider to be a great business channel. He's not a mega millionaire, but he's out there in the shit making plays, so he's qualified to give me information - and the information he dispenses is quite good. He focuses on cold email and lead generation for B2B agencies, which is precisely the information I need.

Keep in mind, you don't have to be super successful to give advice to the general public. Just being on the path puts you at least 1 step ahead of most people - and you are thus expert enough to give them advice.

JohnBuffet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 9, 2017
NJ
Don't stop. You've got quite a bit going for you. The production quality is good, you're articulate, and you're starting from the bottom so it's an opportunity to chronicle your journey.

My one criticism is that it is motivation focused. I understand that motivation is what sells and it's easy and safe to produce that kind of content. That makes it a low barrier to entry field, and means that success is going to be more difficult. It's also an arena dominated by Tai Lopez, Gary V and Uncle G. I would swap out that content with more actionable material that reflects your real world experience. It will make the channel more valuable, and more of your own.

Check out Alex Berman's channel on YouTube for an example of what I consider to be a great business channel. He's not a mega millionaire, but he's out there in the shit making

Last edited:

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016

Check out Alex Berman's channel on YouTube for an example of what I consider to be a great business channel. He's not a mega millionaire, but he's out there in the shit making plays, so he's qualified to give me information - and the information he dispenses is quite good. He focuses on cold email and lead generation for B2B agencies, which is precisely the information I need.

Keep in mind, you don't have to be super successful to give advice to the general public. Just being on the path puts you at least 1 step ahead of most people - and you are thus expert enough to give them advice.
Thank you for this @lowtek , I'll be much better off by implementing actionable material as you've said. More value for my viewers, just subbed to Alex Berman and I see what you're talking about. Thank you!

RulesForRebels

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 2, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hey buddy couple pieces of advice for you. Youtube is great but it's not a stand alone business. I'm a Youtuber, I'm just getting close to hitting 50k subs and while I make money it wouldn't be a full-time income for me. Youtube is really a lead generator for selling a product, selling a service or driving leads somewhere else. It's okay to get started first and develope a monetization strategy later just don't plan on Adsense revenue paying the bills.

As for real estate, I think its' a dying industry for agents. With things moving online real estate agents are really nothing more than glorified door openers. Don't get me wrong there are some great ones out there but that is the impression of the general populus. Because there's a very low barrier to entry every single mom and unemployed person wants to be a RE agent these days. If you want to get into this be a broker not an agent. Be a driver not a hitch hiker as MJ would say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.