The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

tax question for diane k.

Taxes and regulation

dino23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Generally, I avoid "what if" questions like the plague because you can drive yourself crazy figuring out what if scenarios. But, I have an easy answer to this one, so I'll give it "It depends."

Here are some of the issues: - Friend is the trustee, you are the trustor, but who is the beneficiary? What type of trust: complex, simple, revocable, irrevocable?

A better way to approach this is figure out what you want to achieve...and without getting to personal, is this just a hypothetical exercise or does someone you know have a bunch of money and facing a real situation? If it's the later, then they need to talk to an estate attorney/CPA to get detailed information for their goals.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.