The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

tax question for diane k.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

dino23

New Contributor
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Generally, I avoid "what if" questions like the plague because you can drive yourself crazy figuring out what if scenarios. But, I have an easy answer to this one, so I'll give it "It depends."

Here are some of the issues: - Friend is the trustee, you are the trustor, but who is the beneficiary? What type of trust: complex, simple, revocable, irrevocable?

A better way to approach this is figure out what you want to achieve...and without getting to personal, is this just a hypothetical exercise or does someone you know have a bunch of money and facing a real situation? If it's the later, then they need to talk to an estate attorney/CPA to get detailed information for their goals.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE 7 Days To Freedom: From Wantrepreneur/Wage Slave To Freelancer
We're going to be starting soon, in 1 hour! Everyone else who wants to join us for the ride...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
@Fox It's same with me Did both quiz and application but as yet no automatic confirmation, just...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
If you are in IDEA mode, text "IDEA" to the above number. If you are in LAUNCH/START mode, text...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I have a long weekend off work.. bought your "Start a Freelance Business: Take Back Your...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom