The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

tax question for diane k.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

dino23

New Contributor
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Generally, I avoid "what if" questions like the plague because you can drive yourself crazy figuring out what if scenarios. But, I have an easy answer to this one, so I'll give it "It depends."

Here are some of the issues: - Friend is the trustee, you are the trustor, but who is the beneficiary? What type of trust: complex, simple, revocable, irrevocable?

A better way to approach this is figure out what you want to achieve...and without getting to personal, is this just a hypothetical exercise or does someone you know have a bunch of money and facing a real situation? If it's the later, then they need to talk to an estate attorney/CPA to get detailed information for their goals.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom