The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

tax question for diane k.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

dino23

New Contributor
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
diane,

lets say i gained a large lump some of money (lets say 20 million) from a vehicle (stocks, sale of a business, however...). i paid the taxes on that money. then i choose to put a large portion of it in to a trust for a friend. how would the friend (trustee) be taxed on the money placed into his trust? im sure it's not the same taxiation as if i gave it to him out right, or is it? would he get the tax breaks on the money that a trust is eligible for? thanks for your time!

:thankyousign:
Generally, I avoid "what if" questions like the plague because you can drive yourself crazy figuring out what if scenarios. But, I have an easy answer to this one, so I'll give it "It depends."

Here are some of the issues: - Friend is the trustee, you are the trustor, but who is the beneficiary? What type of trust: complex, simple, revocable, irrevocable?

A better way to approach this is figure out what you want to achieve...and without getting to personal, is this just a hypothetical exercise or does someone you know have a bunch of money and facing a real situation? If it's the later, then they need to talk to an estate attorney/CPA to get detailed information for their goals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Thanks for sharing. I want a course to optimize for other than Google engines.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock