The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Talking to companies to get a refund

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
My parents bought a 3D Printer, a very nice one for $8,000 that can print with metals. However, the machine has been acting up and the manufacturers solutions are not solving the problem. After asking for our money back they denied our request with talking to the manager and sales reps.

This manufacturing company takes a 20% restocking fee, however I believe that because its an issue not from us we ought to get 100% money back.

I want to contact the CEO or someone higher up thinking I will get what I want. But I am sure there is more to that, I need to demonstrate negotiating skills and hopefully apply Chris Voss's ideas I picked up from youtube.

To all you fastlaners, I ask for your input and ideas and questions! Help me get my parents money back! Printing with it is not an option as their hands are full with other deals.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
My parents bought a 3D Printer, a very nice one for $8,000 that can print with metals. However, the machine has been acting up and the manufacturers solutions are not solving the problem. After asking for our money back they denied our request with talking to the manager and sales reps.

This manufacturing company takes a 20% restocking fee, however I believe that because its an issue not from us we ought to get 100% money back.

I want to contact the CEO or someone higher up thinking I will get what I want. But I am sure there is more to that, I need to demonstrate negotiating skills and hopefully apply Chris Voss's ideas I picked up from youtube.

To all you fastlaners, I ask for your input and ideas and questions! Help me get my parents money back! Printing with it is not an option as their hands are full with other deals.

Thanks!
Not sure if it is worth your time and it will not be settled soon. I will be more worried about where to find a working printer to rent so to keep the business going.

D

DeletedUser0287

Chargeback?
Yeah, you should get 100% money back because it is an issue with their product.

Hate these dirty business people. Typical as hell.

1) Act so nice to you to get the sale.
2) Once they made the sale and you got problems, they running in the other direction.
3) Some dirty business people, even convince themselves that the customer is the issue.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

Thanks!
How long ago did you buy this?

Is it possible to reverse the charges on your credit card? you may need to provide proof to the card company that the products are faulty. If you can go with this route, then do this ASAP! There is a time limit to how long they can do it.

Would you be ok with the company making it right and getting you a better version? If so, what is needed? (would some guiding advice maybe solve the problem, or do you need a new printer?)

Bad reviews: if the company doesn't cave in, review them on every website where you can leave a review (google.com, tripadvisor, Check Ratings of Businesses, Read Reviews & Buy - Sitejabber, facebook, on their website, etc...) and make sure to spell it out that you just want them to fix their mistake (you don't attack them personally, if you upset them then you'll never get anything from them)
Example:

Hi,
I bought a printer (model #) in the fall of 2020 (insert actual month/year) and have used this machine for about (insert hours) hours of use (basically, still brand new) and while the machine itself is built very sturdily and should last a long time (this is where you compliment them, basically stroke their ego) I have had the (insert part) malfunction/break-down. I'm not sure if this a common problem, I've been trying to reach out to the company and have not gotten a satisfactory answer. At this point, I just want to use my $8,000 printer, it's basically a paperweight at this point (an expensive paperweight).

I've given up trying to use this thing, and I will need to write it off as a bad business expense, and I will never do business with this company again, the service is terrible!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I am not in the US so bear this in mind :)

What are your Consumer Rights Laws in the US?

eg In the UK a product has to be fit for purpose. Your post implies the product is defective in some way and the manufacturer has not been able to resolve.

So in the UK you have 30 days and they have to give a refund. After that they do not. They only need to repair or replace. Only if they can't do that they will refund.

So two things.

1) When did you buy?

2) From who? The manufacturer direct or a retailer as you usually go to the retailer first and they send it back. The sales contract is with whoever sold it to you, not necessarily the manufacturer.

Dan

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
Keep calling. Keep bothering them. negotiate. most importantly don't take No as an answerX

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.