The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sustaining Great Energy Levels?

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
High test by doing what?
eo9n02.jpg

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
As I've gotten more into entrepreneurship I've noticed how absolutely crucial it is to to maintain high energy levels throughout the day to stay productive and moving towards our goals.

Does anyone here know some good hacks so sustain great energy levels throughout the day?

I've lately been feeling really lazy and unproductive and I hate it.

Does Gluten or wheat in our diets effect energy levels? I've heard this topic many times on various podcasts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
You're on the right track I'd say worrying about diet, I think it has the most impact. Gluten may not be the healthiest protein for our bodies, but I think as long as you keep it whole grain and go for low G.I. carbs, you shouldn't have a problem affecting energy. Soluble fiber in vegetables like leafy greens, broccoli, and asparagus can help even out spikes from carbs.
Stress level too, if meditating isn't your thing try to find a downtime where you don't have to focus on anything and can just empty/clear your mind. You'd be surprised how it might help out your entire energy levels.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Get 8 hours of sleep, eat lean and healthy. All I usually eat is Eggs, steak, chicken, and some decaff coffee for the taste. Make sure you exercise. Seems to keep me in check. oh BTW when your getting your sleep, you want to make your schedule consistent, or your circadian rhythms will get screwed up(I think it's those :D ). I'm generally lazier if I go to sleep an hour or two after my designated bed time regardless of whether I sleep 8 hours or not.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I switched to a paleo way of eating 2 years ago & never looked back. It changed my world. And those of you that know me personally know I'm not prone to exaggeration. Every single aspect of my life improved when I changed my diet: mental clarity, sleep, skin, weight, emotions, energy, motivation, etc, etc, etc. It's just been fine-tuning since then with things like bulletproof coffee, Natural Stacks (like Ben mentioned above), removing personal products that utilize chemicals (I make some of my own products now, so I can control the ingredients).

The afternoon slump is no more. Brain fog is no more (unless I relapse into old ways with a non-paleo meal and, even then, I feel like such shit afterward that my resolve is strengthened all the more).

Changing my diet to exclude inflammatory foods & sugar is, single-handedly, the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. Period.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I would start it right away, but i'm a bodybuilder so i have to be on a caloric surplus every day and get a lot of carbs. How can i get a lot of carbs on paleo? Just eat a lot of sweet potatos?

This is outside my area of expertise, as I lift, but I'm not a body builder (I'm also a woman) -every guy I know who switched to paleo saw a pretty impressive rise in testosterone (doctors words, not mine), as it seems that processed foods screw with the body's production of hormones in both sexes & often mimics thyroid malfunction.

I would do more googling (paleo + bodybuilding), as the info is out there. I know I personally can't go too low with carbs or I get the "keto-rash" or, pruritis pigmentos (finally figured out the legit name after having a 2nd time in two years). I make a concerted effort to add carbs & fat to every meal, as it's just the way I function best.

An optimal diet is such a personal & highly-customized thing, you really have to be your own guinea pig & figure out how you feel best. There's a lot of good info online but there's also a LOT of bullshit. Don't count anything out until you've tried it for 30 days, and then, listen to what your body tells you, because it will tell you.

Diet right and workout.

Yes, everybody innately "knows" this. The breakdown occurs in the fact that, for the years previous to finding Paleo, I was "eating right" (quinoa, whole grains, limited meat, veggies, low-fat, blah blah blah) -and that got me depressed, mentally compromised, squishy (I wasn't even fat, so I even looked "healthy" while I was anything but) & just generally fatigued & feeling like shit. There's so much mis-information out there about what's good for the human body, you pretty much have to figure it out for yourself, but for me, paleo was an excellent road map to start my journey to health, wellness & living life again.

J. van Driessen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 14, 2014
Enthusiasm and a sh!tload of coffee.
Personally, I never drink coffee. (btw a friend told me that a study shows you would live longer if you drink max. 3 cups of coffee a day).
I drink cold water instead while working.

I definitely agree with the enthusiasm thing. When I had just purchased the ecommerce business I own now, I had taken 2 weeks of holidays to work on it (I was still doing a slowlane job then). I always put my alarm and got out of bed easily because I was so excited to work on my business.

You should experiment with smoothies. I've been drinking smoothies almost everyday for 3 months now. I'd make about half a liter and drink that during work in the morning. The time you spend in making the smoothie is saved by not having to take the time to have breakfast. It's also a great way to get your vitamins. You should put both fruits and vegetables (like spinach and lettuce) in your smoothie.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
For my job I gotta be healthy and energetic all day long,(That is my work day is from 8 am till 1-2 am.)

- Sleep as much as you can, even a 7 minute powernap will help.
- Put your feet up in the air in your rest time.
- Eat healthy (Primal- lots of organic meats, veggies and fruits, the rest of the foods are things you don't need.)
- Perform at least 3-4 times a week Circuit High intensity training, I used to do 15 exercises per circuit, going all out. perfect technique, as many rounds as possible untill I just could not continue anymore - Never had as much energy as back when i did it. Now I do HIIT as it takes less time, but I also have less energy than with the circuit stuff)

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
You're on the right track I'd say worrying about diet, I think it has the most impact. Gluten may not be the healthiest protein for our bodies, but I think as long as you keep it whole grain and go for low G.I. carbs, you shouldn't have a problem affecting energy. Soluble fiber in vegetables like leafy greens, broccoli, and asparagus can help even out spikes from carbs.
Stress level too, if meditating isn't your thing try to find a downtime where you don't have to focus on anything and can just empty/clear your mind. You'd be surprised how it might help out your entire energy levels.

I'm curious where you came up with these theories? Gluten is just a protein, similar to many other proteins that we ingest. Some people have an allergy to gluten, just like some people have an allergy to peanuts, or strawberries, or shellfish, or eggs, or whatever. However, just because someone somewhere is allergic to something does not make it unhealthy to the rest of the population. If someone is allergic then for that person exposure will cause a reaction by the body. The prevalence of this allergy has been documented as being 1 out of every 250 people roughly, so for 249 out of 250 people having gluten in your diet is of absolutely zero consequence.

If someone has Celiac disease, then there are specific blood tests that can help diagnosis it. These blood tests are simply tests looking for the antibodies produced by the body that cause the allergy. Celiac disease and glutten allergy is all the rage right now, how or why this came to be I have no idea, but it will probably run it's course like many other things and 20 years from now no one will be talking about it anymore and the marketing machine will have moved on to something else.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/1215/p2259.html

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
protip: don't drink too much hot wine punch at the christmas market at noon on a sunday with your martial arts group if you want to get work done in the afternoon. I speak from recent experience lol. :embarrased:

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Meditation (learning to breathe properly), sprinting. eating a solid diet(invest in a juicer and mix a ton of veggies)

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I have a couple different things that work for me:

BP coffee
Energy light/Sun lamp
Exercise
Meditation
Good, healthy diet - vegetables seem to give me the most energy, fats give me the most mental clarity. I eat mostly Paleo.
If I'm desperate, dumping my head in a bowl of cold water does the trick for a while - or a cold shower - something to shock the system

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
What kind of foods do you eat on paleo diet?

Meat, veggies & fruit. Nothing processed. Google something like "paleo meals/recipes" & you'll get the idea. It takes some effort the first 30 days, then it just becomes a way of life as you expand your awareness/recipe book. Best change of my life. Worth reading up about & implementing, especially if you struggle with energy, mental fog, depression, weight, etc, etc.

Avus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Jun 18, 2013
Yes, everybody innately "knows" this. The breakdown occurs in the fact that, for the years previous to finding Paleo, I was "eating right" (quinoa, whole grains, limited meat, veggies, low-fat, blah blah blah) -and that got me depressed, mentally compromised, squishy (I wasn't even fat, so I even looked "healthy" while I was anything but) & just generally fatigued & feeling like shit. There's so much mis-information out there about what's good for the human body, you pretty much have to figure it out for yourself, but for me, paleo was an excellent road map to start my journey to health, wellness & living life again.

I agree. I actually hired a nutritionist to help me. There is more misinformation than actual solid advice out there. Get to know what works for your body.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

My mother has geliacs, so there might be a possibility that im gluten sensetive? Every morning after breakfast i get this massive fatigue i just want to g back to bed.. And i get brainfog also often.

I meditate every day its great :)
What do you eat for breakfast?
I don't do breakfast anymore. It drains me.

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Actually, oatmeal has no gluten whatsoever. So if oatmeal is really affecting you that much, I would say you have a carb sensitivity. Usually a lack of proper minerals can really let carb spikes drain you, so what I'd recommend is starting your day off with a green smoothie. Take spinach, kale, broccoli or some other greens and mix with a banana and some berries or whatever fruit you like, and blend them up. It will provide an amazing amount of vitamins and minerals and let your body process the carbs much better throughout the day.

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014

I can confirm this.
I refuse to eat anything unless I get something done first.

Your metabolism might be different though.
Give it a shot and see if using food as a reward AFTER you've completed your tasks works for you.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Besides sleep and good health habits, having a good, clear plan will give you more mental energy and drive you to get more things done. I watched some videos on business strategy and I thought about strategy. I also thought about my own business experience and what the top competitors are doing. Then I wrote down all the elements of my new business strategy and also wrote down alternate strategies to compare with. So now that I have a clear idea what to do and I'm convinced that my plan is good, I can get more stuff done, because now I'm definitely set on a strong direction and there's no confusion anymore, at least not about the next few years.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Vegetable juice. Get a masticating juice machine and juice vegetables. It's great for your health and gives you more energy to get work done. The energy it gives you lasts a long time. I think everyone should do this because otherwise I don't think you can get all the nutrition you need. It definitely makes me feel better after I drink a couple of glasses. Exercise is good too. Also get sunshine and vitamin D3 pills for vitamin D. Avoid all processed food, flour, and caffeine. Buy organic veggies & organic meat.

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
Diet wise I am paleo-ish with an emphasis on healthy fats, fresh vegetables and tons of cold filtered water.

I like the [HASHTAG]#JERF[/HASHTAG] mantra which is just eat real food. I also tend to avoid gluten, which can have a significant impact on your energy levels.

Day to day:

Wake up and take 2 CILTEP / 1 Smart Caffeine (my company)

Then I'll fall back to sleep for ~ 10 minutes and wake up fully juiced and ready to go.

I like to hit my email and take care of any fires / plan my day before hitting the gym.

Working out every day is important. I take some BCAAs pre-workout as I try to follow the leangains intermittent fasting protocol.

Then it's lunch which is usually a Bulletproof Coffee + some greens and a protein.

More work followed by dinner and third dinner Hobbit style.

Takeaways:

Workout every single day

Take supplements to address deficiency (+1 to get blood tested)

Maintain the same sleep / eating schedule

Try ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, bulletproof diet

When you feel it.... grind and get to work.

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
I switched to a paleo way of eating 2 years ago & never looked back. It changed my world. And those of you that know me personally know I'm not prone to exaggeration. Every single aspect of my life improved when I changed my diet: mental clarity, sleep, skin, weight, emotions, energy, motivation, etc, etc, etc. It's just been fine-tuning since then with things like bulletproof coffee, Natural Stacks (like Ben mentioned above), removing personal products that utilize chemicals (I make some of my own products now, so I can control the ingredients).

The afternoon slump is no more. Brain fog is no more (unless I relapse into old ways with a non-paleo meal and, even then, I feel like such shit afterward that my resolve is strengthened all the more).

Changing my diet to exclude inflammatory foods & sugar is, single-handedly, the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. Period.

What kind of foods do you eat on paleo diet?

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014

Thanks for the reply.

My mother has geliacs, so there might be a possibility that im gluten sensetive? Every morning after breakfast i get this massive fatigue i just want to g back to bed.. And i get brainfog also often.

I meditate every day its great :)

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
What do you eat for breakfast?

Well im a bodybuilder so i eat eggs and little bit of bacon, and oatmeal which is full of gluten..

Peakdesire

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Actually, oatmeal has no gluten whatsoever. So if oatmeal is really affecting you that much, I would say you have a carb sensitivity. Usually a lack of proper minerals can really let carb spikes drain you, so what I'd recommend is starting your day off with a green smoothie. Take spinach, kale, broccoli or some other greens and mix with a banana and some berries or whatever fruit you like, and blend them up. It will provide an amazing amount of vitamins and minerals and let your body process the carbs much better throughout the day.

Most oats has gluten, at least here in finland.

Thanks for that green juice tip thats great ill have to try it!

Mike4424

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2014
Most oats has gluten, at least here in finland.

Thanks for that green juice tip thats great ill have to try it!
Hmm that's really odd as gluten comes from wheat and oatmeal doesn't come from wheat. Do they add other ingredients to them or something?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.