The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Struggling? Go Back to the Fundamentals of The Millionaire Fastlane

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Depends on what one defines as a "significant empire."

For some that can be $1M-$5M
Others $10M-$20M
Others 9 figures and more...

"Think big and then think bigger than that." - The Kill Bigger Radio Show by Kyle Keegan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Graceland

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 12, 2017
Napa, CA
really enjoying this thread. I too am back after several years. I’m also excited to see that the Fastlane forum is alive as well.
not everyone has the capacity or desire to live the scripted life. It’s awesome to hear that you Vigilante were able to get those “outcast” kids to find within themselves the ability to play an undefeated season. I used to play soccer when I was a little girl. I remember one time at a church retreat there was a coed pickup game and the guys were surprised to see me play so aggressively. It was the first time I got to play forward. I had been a fullback but watched how lazy the forwards were on my team and analyzed how I would play their position, if I ever got the chance!
also wanted to say that sometimes you can make a huge impact on a person who just needed some guidance and confidence to do what needs to be done. Consider me impacted along with those kids! Bravo!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I built two businesses over the years that scaled up primarily as a solopreneuer. I’m no longer convinced that you can build a significant empire without leverage in human capital.

People and process, YES! Its like trading manual paypal shipping for shipstation. Unless of course you are just choosing to suffer :D

Welcome back, I've missed you, we've missed you. Someone texted me about this thread, I am glad about that.

I'll call you tomorrow.

ArmanK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Apr 30, 2022
Fundamentals

I was a youth football coach for one year. That year, my team of 8th grade misfits went undefeated. At the end of the year, I was asked to never come back and coach again, because I wouldn’t teach the kids the way the “system” wanted me to. I was one of eight teams at the 8th grade level within this system, and we were all supposed to follow the same system.

But I knew the system was broken.

Have you ever watched a children’s karate class? You see the kids progress from class to class, and get higher colored belts because their parents keep paying and dragging them to class every week. Eventually, the kid becomes a black belt, and puts on a demonstration for his cheering grandmother of breaking pre-scored boards. But nearly any grown man in the room you know could kick that “black belt’s” a$$ in a real fight. I always imagine those kids outside of the studio in a street fight, and someone punches them in the face and they try and call time out because their opponent was not using the proper form.

Back to my team. I was a first year coach, and the veteran coaches stuck me with all of the misfits. The fat kid whose pants fell down when he ran, the attitude kid that would as soon fight you as listen to you, and the other kids that didn’t make it to the top of the supposedly unbiased rankings. There were snickers in the room as the rosters were finalized. My team was literally the island of misfit toys.

Game on. The first thing we did was threw out the play book everyone else was using. Then we threw out the “lesson plans” that were designed to get all of the kids the same football knowledge. I didn’t want my kids to have the same knowledge as all of the rest of the teams. I wanted them to win. The moms were pissed after the first practice when I told them there would be no mom-provided “snacks” like all the other team moms provided.

Our kids needed three things.
  1. Discipline
  2. Fundamentals
  3. Unpredictability against competition

So we had to start from the beginning. We had to do conditioning. Sometimes during the conditioning, you have to fix the basics (like literally taping the fat kids pants with duct tape so his pants would stay on. ) It was ok early on to strengthen where we were weak until we weren’t weak any more. The other coaches could laugh all they wanted, but we were going to build. One building block at a time. Nobody had to see where we were going, but we had a plan.

We had to teach the fundamentals. While the other coaches were running “drills” we were teaching kids how to be intentional and repetitive and deliberate. We had to teach them how to get their fat asses into the right place at the right time. While the other coaches were having fun scrimmages, we were teaching our kids how to block. And while the other coaches were having snack time, our kids were learning how to protect each other like warriors.

One of the fathers of one of my kids wanted to fight me. Why? Because of the unorthodox methods we were using. The day he wanted to fight me on the field, it was because of the chainsaw and axe handle drill. We brought out a chainsaw (in it’s shealth) and an axe handle. We held them a few feet from the ground, and made our kids fire from their three point stance and stay low enough to clear the chainsaw and axe handle. Over and over and over again they fired out under the chainsaw and axe handle. The dad thought we should do something fun. But we knew the kids needed to get the basics down, and the fun would come later. We weren’t handing out participation trophies, because the only real trophy was for the winners. Our kids would fire out lower and faster than any other 8th graders ever had.

Long story short, their fundamentals, their discipline, and then unpredictable nature of how we executed unique plays lead to the first ever undefeated 8th grade team in school history. I was then called in after the season by the league officials and told based on the parent complaints we would never coach in the little league football system again. One and done.

I am coming back to the Millionaire Fastlane Forum after a long absence. I have had some great wins, and some epic losses since I have been gone. The reason I am coming back is to re-educate myself on the fundamentals. I will unpack for you all where I have been and what I have been up to, and get back in the business of sharing the journey with you all here at the forum.

Times are tough out there, and some of the razzle dazzle doesn’t work any more. But what will ALWAYS work towards victory is fundamentals. Blocking and tackling. The timeless principles of the Millionaire Fast Lane. Back to the basic message of business fundamentals that hallmark any business, with a roadmap simply contained within MJ’s original writings.

Methods change. Markets change. Some of you may be struggling, and being honest I have struggled with more than a few things over the past couple of years after my latest exit. I will share those details with you along the way. But this message was for ME, and for YOU.

The fundamentals are what you need to have etched in stone. They should be written on your white board, and your decision matrix should be revolving around the fundamentals. That’s the reason you originally came to the Fastlane Forum. And it’s the reason I am back.

We need three things.
  1. Discipline
  2. Fundamentals
Talk soon...Vigilante
This reminds me of Naval Ravikant's advice on mastering the basics.

You don't need to know the detailed intricacies of advanced calculus but you better know how to add,subtract,multiply,divide like a pro!

Cheers,
Arman

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Just recalling what the main points were:

When you seem to get complacent and things aren’t working out the way you want, go back to the basics. Discipline(focus). Fundamentals(tackle & block, know your targets and objective and execute without hesitation). And be adaptable.

Systems are not made for us to win, but for those at the top to stay there comfortably and give us an illusion of growth(participation trophies, snacks, etc…). The best slaves are those who are unaware that they are slaving away their time, life, and process in a system after all.

Thank you for the your awesome writing. I’ve been finding myself complacent with not reflecting enough on my activities and writing my daily kill-list as I usually would. I have many things to blame but none of the blame will get me back on track if I don’t get back to the basics, so thank you for the reminder.

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
I built two businesses over the years that scaled up primarily as a solopreneuer. I’m no longer convinced that you can build a significant empire without leverage in human capital.
As Naval put it: you have Four types of leverage: Labor; Capital; Media and now Code. and the one that build empire now they know how to use the four of them.

Iso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 1, 2021
Fundamentals

I was a youth football coach for one year. That year, my team of 8th grade misfits went undefeated. At the end of the year, I was asked to never come back and coach again, because I wouldn’t teach the kids the way the “system” wanted me to. I was one of eight teams at the 8th grade level within this system, and we were all supposed to follow the same system.

But I knew the system was broken.

Have you ever watched a children’s karate class? You see the kids progress from class to class, and get higher colored belts because their parents keep paying and dragging them to class every week. Eventually, the kid becomes a black belt, and puts on a demonstration for his cheering grandmother of breaking pre-scored boards. But nearly any grown man in the room you know could kick that “black belt’s” a$$ in a real fight. I always imagine those kids outside of the studio in a street fight, and someone punches them in the face and they try and call time out because their opponent was not using the proper form.

Back to my team. I was a first year coach, and the veteran coaches stuck me with all of the misfits. The fat kid whose pants fell down when he ran, the attitude kid that would as soon fight you as listen to you, and the other kids that didn’t make it to the top of the supposedly unbiased rankings. There were snickers in the room as the rosters were finalized. My team was literally the island of misfit toys.

Game on. The first thing we did was threw out the play book everyone else was using. Then we threw out the “lesson plans” that were designed to get all of the kids the same football knowledge. I didn’t want my kids to have the same knowledge as all of the rest of the teams. I wanted them to win. The moms were pissed after the first practice when I told them there would be no mom-provided “snacks” like all the other team moms provided.

Our kids needed three things.
  1. Discipline
  2. Fundamentals

So we had to start from the beginning. We had to do conditioning. Sometimes during the conditioning, you have to fix the basics (like literally taping the fat kids pants with duct tape so his pants would stay on. ) It was ok early on to strengthen where we were weak until we weren’t weak any more. The other coaches could laugh all they wanted, but we were going to build. One building block at a time. Nobody had to see where we were going, but we had a plan.

We had to teach the fundamentals. While the other coaches were running “drills” we were teaching kids how to be intentional and repetitive and deliberate. We had to teach them how to get their fat asses into the right place at the right time. While the other coaches were having fun scrimmages, we were teaching our kids how to block. And while the other coaches were having snack time, our kids were learning how to protect each other like warriors.

One of the fathers of one of my kids wanted to fight me. Why? Because of the unorthodox methods we were using. The day he wanted to fight me on the field, it was because of the chainsaw and axe handle drill. We brought out a chainsaw (in it’s shealth) and an axe handle. We held them a few feet from the ground, and made our kids fire from their three point stance and stay low enough to clear the chainsaw and axe handle. Over and over and over again they fired out under the chainsaw and axe handle. The dad thought we should do something fun. But we knew the kids needed to get the basics down, and the fun would come later. We weren’t handing out participation trophies, because the only real trophy was for the winners. Our kids would fire out lower and faster than any other 8th graders ever had.

Long story short, their fundamentals, their discipline, and then unpredictable nature of how we executed unique plays lead to the first ever undefeated 8th grade team in school history. I was then called in after the season by the league officials and told based on the parent complaints we would never coach in the little league football system again. One and done.

I am coming back to the Millionaire Fastlane Forum after a long absence. I have had some great wins, and some epic losses since I have been gone. The reason I am coming back is to re-educate myself on the fundamentals. I will unpack for you all where I have been and what I have been up to, and get back in the business of sharing the journey with you all here at the forum.

Times are tough out there, and some of the razzle dazzle doesn’t work any more. But what will ALWAYS work towards victory is fundamentals. Blocking and tackling. The timeless principles of the Millionaire Fast Lane. Back to the basic message of business fundamentals that hallmark any business, with a roadmap simply contained within MJ’s original writings.

Methods change. Markets change. Some of you may be struggling, and being honest I have struggled with more than a few things over the past couple of years after my latest exit. I will share those details with you along the way. But this message was for ME, and for YOU.

The fundamentals are what you need to have etched in stone. They should be written on your white board, and your decision matrix should be revolving around the fundamentals. That’s the reason you originally came to the Fastlane Forum. And it’s the reason I am back.

We need three things.
  1. Discipline
  2. Fundamentals
Talk soon...Vigilante
The story was a really good read thanks for that

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Based on some of the posts I'm seeing, lots of people are struggling in ventures that I would never explicitly endorse.

Perhaps this thread needs a bump.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.