The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

STOP Focusing On Numbers - How To Grow On YouTube - #RANT

Anything related to matters of the mind

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
EDIT - I apologise. This post doesn't seem to have come across as I had hoped. Yes I have web development company and yes I offer coaching services BUT I am not here to sell those, I am here to help and learn. I am happy to remove/change anything you may feel is "spammy" - I am not a "guru" - I am a forum rookie who seems to have put his foot in the wrong place on his first post. - Once again, I apologise.

VIDEO DESCRIPTION -
STOP Focussing On Numbers - How To Grow On YouTube - RANT // Are you looking to grow on YouTube in 2018? Don't get sucked into only looking at your subscriber count. The game of chasing views, likes and that next subscriber milestone. The numbers should only be a side effect to your hard work and learning and not the end goal.

Stop Focussing On The Numbers and learn How To Grow On YouTuber the healthy way.

Make YouTube a hobby, make YouTube your new skill, make YouTube your new lesson. Put out regular content and ONLY focus on getting better at what you are doing and don't focus on how many subscribers that is or how many views you need.

#Rant #YouTubeTips #YouTubeTutorials #Tutorials #YouTube #FAQs #YouTuberProblems #StartCreating #HowTo #Motivation

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

STOP Focussing On Numbers - How To Grow On YouTube - RANT // Are you looking to grow on YouTube in 2018? Don't get sucked into only looking at your subscriber count. The game of chasing views, likes and that next subscriber milestone. The numbers should only be a side effect to your hard work and learning and not the end goal.

Stop Focussing On The Numbers and learn How To Grow On YouTuber the healthy way.

Make YouTube a hobby, make YouTube your new skill, make YouTube your new lesson. Put out regular content and ONLY focus on getting better at what you are doing and don't focus on how many subscribers that is or how many views you need.

#Rant #YouTubeTips #YouTubeTutorials #Tutorials #YouTube #FAQs #YouTuberProblems #StartCreating #HowTo #Motivation

Don't worry guys...

It's definitely not another forum funnel and he's definitely not another guru...

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.49.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 9.47.12 AM.png

#forumfunnel #guru

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Tsk tsk. Using our forum to grow awareness for your brand through content marketing.

#Guru #Forumfunnel

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
Im not here to sell. Yes I have services but dont we all?

I promise Im just here to learn and help people.

Tell me what I did wrong and Ill gladly remove it

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum Alan. Glad to see you respond here, thank you.

Tell me what I did wrong and Ill gladly remove it

Did you read this in the REQUIRED THREAD?

Screenshot-2018-4-12 IMPORTANT - Getting the MOST out of Fastlane (Required Read).png
Your post will be perceived as such.

We like contributors here, but not newcomers who post under the guise of a sales funnel, no matter how indirect.

This is why you're getting some friction.

Hope you stick around and contribute -- those who do eventually grow their brand, in more ways than one. Cheers!

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
Welcome to the forum Alan. Glad to see you respond here, thank you.

Did you read this in the REQUIRED THREAD?

View attachment 19092
Your post will be perceived as such.

We like contributors here, but not newcomers who post under the guise of a sales funnel, no matter how indirect.

This is why you're getting some friction.

Hope you stick around and contribute -- those who do eventually grow their brand, in more ways than one.
Oh no no, I promise I am here to mingle, not market.

I'm NO GURU... I just thought the video might motivate people.

I'm not here to sell, I don't claim to be some genius. I have been on YouTube 5-6 years and I do coaching but that's not what I was here for.

I appreciate your reply and I apologize if this thread was a little too bold to post in my first few messages...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Oh no no, I promise I am here to mingle, not market.

I'm NO GURU... I just thought the video might motivate people.

I'm not here to sell, I don't claim to be some genius. I have been on YouTube 5-6 years and I do coaching but that's not what I was here for.

I appreciate your reply and I apologize if this thread was a little too bold to post in my first few messages...

No problem Alan, welcome aboard! Great to have another person here who is out in the trenches getting it done.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Much appreciated.

I want to read more about techniques that helped give a big boost in numbers to those you've worked with. Can you tell us more about that?

You said don't focus on the numbers to grow your account, but I already don't focus on the numbers, and I only have 1253 subs (which is more than your channel).

I suspect you're authentically here to contribute, and I'm working on the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing. I'd welcome suggestions that lead toward real YouTube growth if they're backed by experience.

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
No problem Alan, welcome aboard! Great to have another person here who is out in the trenches getting it done.
I just saw "motivation" in the category title and "rant" as an option and thought the video was fitting.

Have I posted this in the wrong place? Should I have explained it more? How should/could I do so better in future?

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
I want to read more about techniques that helped give a big boost in numbers to those you've worked with. Can you tell us more about that?

You said don't focus on the numbers to grow your account, but I already don't focus on the numbers, and I only have 1253 subs (which is more than your channel).

I suspect you're authentically here to contribute, and I'm working on the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing. I'd welcome suggestions that lead toward real YouTube growth if they're backed by experience.
Thank you for your trust.

Ok, I started my current YouTube Tips channel from scratch 10 months ago and currently have 50K+ views, 110ish videos and 1.1K subs. This is snowballing and over the last 28 days I have gained 210+ subs and 15k views.

My advice to you and my own personal approach when launching the channel 10 months ago is "lead with value". - 90% of the 110 videos on the channel are How Tos for FAQs about YouTube as a niche.

I wrote down everything I would ask if I was starting my channel over and made a video on it eg How To Open a YouTube Account, How To Upload YouTube Videos, How To Do Video SEO, Subtitles, Tags, Upload Schedule, Video Ideas etc etc

This i believe can be backwards engineered for any niche. Just drill down, make how tos and it earns trust. You lead with value by answering the questions they are searching for in a niche and win the subs 1 at a time...

I'm not saying its PewDiePie growth speed, everything takes time, there is no get rich quick bs. But all the subs you get are active and you can grow your trust base 1 thankful viewer at a time. After 100 "How To's" I've now started to add more "personal" videos like the rant video above to supplement the content pool and expand the niche reach a little as I have the 100ish FAQs videos for search traffic.

So in summary - I suggest you write down 30-50 How To questions in the niche you want your channel to be known for and build a solid trust base of SEO search friendly content that people can initially find you with, that will win them over and has a better chance of showing up in search to begin with.

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield

Hope that helps :)

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you for your trust.

Ok, I started my current YouTube Tips channel from scratch 10 months ago and currently have 50K+ views, 110ish videos and 1.1K subs. This is snowballing and over the last 28 days I have gained 210+ subs and 15k views.

My advice to you and my own personal approach when launching the channel 10 months ago is "lead with value". - 90% of the 110 videos on the channel are How Tos for FAQs about YouTube as a niche.

I wrote down everything I would ask if I was starting my channel over and made a video on it eg How To Open a YouTube Account, How To Upload YouTube Videos, How To Do Video SEO, Subtitles, Tags, Upload Schedule, Video Ideas etc etc

This i believe can be backwards engineered for any niche. Just drill down, make how tos and it earns trust. You lead with value by answering the questions they are searching for in a niche and win the subs 1 at a time...

I'm not saying its PewDiePie growth speed, everything takes time, there is no get rich quick bs. But all the subs you get are active and you can grow your trust base 1 thankful viewer at a time. After 100 "How To's" I've now started to add more "personal" videos like the rant video above to supplement the content pool and expand the niche reach a little as I have the 100ish FAQs videos for search traffic.

So in summary - I suggest you write down 30-50 How To questions in the niche you want your channel to be known for and build a solid trust base of SEO search friendly content that people can initially find you with, that will win them over and has a better chance of showing up in search to begin with.

Have you noticed any major tipping points for client accounts you've worked with? For instance, it takes forever to get the first 1k subs, but I've seen videos saying that's the hardest part. Seen a few accounts go slowly through 5k then hit 10k and 15k in a matter of months. Accounts that were providing value and creating a community rather than specifically trying to grow.

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
Have you noticed any major tipping points for client accounts you've worked with? For instance, it takes forever to get the first 1k subs, but I've seen videos saying that's the hardest part. Seen a few accounts go slowly through 5k then hit 10k and 15k in a matter of months. Accounts that were providing value and creating a community rather than specifically trying to grow.
As long as you have an active base, helpful content and reply to comments then you can grow 10-20% per month.

However In personal experience I would say 1K, 5K, 10K are the noticeable snowballs. I had one client take 4 years to get to 10K and then 12 months later they was at 40K.

Plus if they are searchable videos and you are pumping out 2-3 videos a week they all add up. 3 videos a week x 52 weeks = 156 findable videos. If 10% rank well (I find 10% is a fair estimate) thats 15 videos getting you regular views and subs. Then next year.... + 156 videos = 312 total with 30 videos feeding the traffic....

It really is long haul game but if you're consistent and go for SEARCHABLE videos you will have a slow but reliable snowball growth - rather than a lucky video or clickbait viral. Reliable does better on CPM long term I find as well.

emse7en

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Apr 9, 2018
Utah
The way I have grown on YouTube is to focus on the numbers. Just not the numbers most people focus on, which is subscribers and views. I have been doing YouTube for about 2 years and between my channels have a total of 1.2M subscribers and over 500M views.

It’s best to focus on the numbers YouTube cares about. Why should they use their precious screen real estate to put your thumbnail in front of someone. They want to know that the thumbnail/title will get clicked. Then that once clicked it will hold their interest and get them to stay on YouTube longer and consume more content. So look at increasing watch time and watch percentage and promote your other content effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Spicer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Apr 12, 2018
Huddersfield
The way I have grown on YouTube is to focus on the numbers. Just not the numbers most people focus on, which is subscribers and views. I have been doing YouTube for about 2 years and between my channels have a total of 1.2M subscribers and over 500M views.

It’s best to focus on the numbers YouTube cares about. Why should they use their precious screen real estate to put your thumbnail in front of someone. They want to know that the thumbnail/title will get clicked. Then that once clicked it will hold their interest and get them to stay on YouTube longer and consume more content. So look at increasing watch time and watch percentage and promote your other content effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I very much agree. Double down on that works on your channel and then focus on watch time, click through rates and as of this month unique viewers is a new metric they are adding to the studio beta with impressions/impression ctr so need to need analysed.

But I agree... watch time, engagement, and session time are more important than views/subs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.