The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Stock Market Discussion, Chat About the Latest Market Action

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I'll put it another way. I have currently about $30k to my name and a high risk tolerance. Should I put it all into crypto at this price? will bitcoin keep falling or will it go back up? You seem to know your stuff so I think I can trust your opinion thank you
No one can tell you what to do. I can say historically, the stock market dropping has not helped Bitcoin. I always thought a market crash would make people flee to crypto, but to this point, crypto has generally gone down during market dips (like the quick COVID-crash of 2020).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 7.43.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 7.44.01 PM.png

Currently the spread between the 3 month US treasury and the 3 month LIBOR is 22 basis points. When you start seeing these move, that's a pretty good indicator liquidity is getting hit in the markets.

Funny how those who are greedy and unprepared get weeded out when things get tight. Nobody knows what a bond or stock is worth when interest rates start moving. LOL

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
View attachment 47548
View attachment 47549

Currently the spread between the 3 month US treasury and the 3 month LIBOR is 22 basis points. When you start seeing these move, that's a pretty good indicator liquidity is getting hit in the markets.

Funny how those who are greedy and unprepared get weeded out when things get tight. Nobody knows what a bond or stock is worth when interest rates start moving. LOL
what is a treasury bill? what does liquidity mean?? will these be good for my crypto miner stocks?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'll put it another way. I have currently about $30k to my name and a high risk tolerance. Should I put it all into crypto at this price? will bitcoin keep falling or will it go back up?D You seem to know your stuff so I think I can trust your opinion thank you
Crypto is NOT a hard asset. A lot of investors are moving their cash into hard assets.

I don't know how to tell you this... Crypto is a fiat "currency" similar to most paper money -- without a country or government to give it even an illusion of security. Worse, in my mind, someone just made this stuff up and assigned a value to it without anything to back it up. Here's the question. What collateral would be backing up your investment? More exactly, if that digital system goes belly-up, what do you have left besides an electronic transaction record on your phone/tablet? Have you heard of FTX and its collapse? Where did the money go?

Your "risk tolerance" is way over my head! Investing in crypto isn't even on my radar. But, do what you do. Good luck!

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Crypto is NOT a hard asset. A lot of investors are moving their cash into hard assets.

I don't know how to tell you this... Crypto is a fiat "currency" similar to most paper money -- without a country or government to give it even an illusion of security. Worse, in my mind, someone just made this stuff up and assigned a value to it without anything to back it up. Here's the question. What collateral would be backing up your investment? More exactly, if that digital system goes belly-up, what do you have left besides an electronic transaction record on your phone/tablet? Have you heard of FTX and its collapse? Where did the money go?

Your "risk tolerance" is way over my head! Investing in crypto isn't even on my radar. But, do what you do. Good luck!
What should I invest in? If I have 30k and Another 40k, if I have a total of 100k saved up what do you suggest I do with it?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
what is a treasury bill? what does liquidity mean?? will these be good for my crypto miner stocks?
You seem to lack a basic understanding of how the financial system works. You need to study the basics.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
I can't believe banks thought it wise to commit to 10-year bonds getting like 1.6% interest. Unbelievable.
To be fair with banks (and insurance companies), they are required by law to buy this useless government paper. I'm not sure worldwide but this is how it works in my country, I would expect it to be quite similar with varying degrees at least across the Western world.

Of course, this is to "protect the consumer", not because no one would buy this garbage otherwise.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I can't believe banks thought it wise to commit to 10-year bonds getting like 1.6% interest. Unbelievable.
They never factored in the risk of inflation or higher interest rates. They thought that interest rates would be 0 or close to it continuously. What I have seen is people who crash and burn. Then they are replaced by a newbie who lasts until the next downturn -- when they crash and burn -- to be replaced by another newbie who lasts until...

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Your leverage question is rooted in short-term funding for long-term investments. The banks were counting on the interest rates staying down. So they floated loans for customers that go on for years based upon margins between the low-interest rates and their loan yields. Now they are upside down on a bunch of those loans. They never factored in the risk that inflation and Covid (and a European war) would smack them on the nose with higher interest rates and less liquidity in the money supply markets. They bet the farm on a rosy forecast without adequate reserves or planning for a bubble to burst or a quantitative money tightening to result in a downturn.

Fast forward to another factor... Investors are fleeing from paper assets to hard assets -- stock and bonds to RE, gold, fine art, machinery, etc. This is a classic investor reaction to this type of market. So, now these banks that are already upside down on their loan portfolios, are having a run on their liquid assets -- money on hand -- their reserves. And the banks are having to sell off their assets to meet both the runs they are experiencing and their reserve requirements from the banking regulators. It's a live-or-die moment for a bunch of them.
Many points to wrap my head around, thanks. The things that I have previously heard before are from Warren Buffetts
letters to the shareholders. So what banks did with the float is not even the issue here? It is not about leverage and more about balance? How is this game winnable for banks? They should have stopped loaning money to customers when the trend changed or is there another asset class they were allowed to use to be able to pay interest that is better aligned with higher short term yields?
I suppose monetary policy depends on banks being more conservative when there is monetary tightening going on!?

can somebody explain to me in plain english whether the stock market will go up or down in the next months? I dont understand interest rates or yields or this or that, i do understand cycles, will the next cycle be going up or down? i want to know if my investments are safe. thanks
There are several narratives that come together and nobody can list them all. Some are contrarian and it is hard to predict how they will play out together.

Lets look at a few of the terms used recently and think about how they relate to crypto.

Many cryptocurrency enthusiasts say the value lies in the peer-to-peer, no government control character. We might see a hard landing scenario where many people will have a hard time and lose a lot. Whole countries will have debt crises. At that point the trust in the financial system might collapse and cryptocurrencies will be the alternative to the traditional system.
I personally think it is a huge leap. Even if such a shift happens then there will be a million events on the way there that can wipe out your investments, even if you have the right idea in general.

What msufan wrote is an interesting addition to that. It is interesting to see how available liquidity (how easy is it to get money and how little interest do you have to pay for it) affects the price of Bitcoin. There are obvious issues now with inflation and if these issues had prompted people to move money into cryptocurrencies, then it would have made this a gradual thing.
Now it looks like it might be an all-or-nothing deal. Is a full blown collapse of the financial system required for the crypto bull case?

When the market was flooded with liquidity, cryptocurrencies did well. That is nice and all, but if that is all there is, then it is just one of many asset classes that behave the same way - not much special about it.
Bitcoin always had the halvings going for it ... which should keep the price rising exponentially - but how well is that actually working these days?
Some people say the negative news (FTX collapse) of cryptocurrencies have just proved that centralized cryptocurrencies have never done well while decentralized has been growing steadily and is doing fine. It could slowly but surely take market share, so there might be long term opportunities, especially when you look into smart contracts.

A few points about liquidity. Monetary policy is based on the idea that there is a sweet spot where there is just the right amount of growth and innovation without exuberance. It can be out of balance in two directions:
1. it is too hard to get your hands on money for a reasonable project
2. it is too easy to get your hands on money for an unreasonable project

Treasury bills are the way to control this. Basically the central banks say: buy treasury bonds and you get a given yield with close to zero risk. The higher the yield is, the harder it is to compete with these bonds. This pulls liquidity out of the unreasonable project. Only the best alternatives are supposed to survive, those that can still beat the bond yields.

When Covid restrictions hit, companies needed to get their hands on money just to survive, so the central banks had to provide liquidity.
Now inflation is running wild. Arguably that means that access to money is too easy, because people and companies are willing to pay any price!?

A strong case can be made that this is just wrong. There have been suppy chain issues and energy troubles due to politics that lead to high prices.
Is this really something that monetary policy should fix, or is now a situation where money should be cheap so that companies can transition and innovate to make energy and food more affordable again?

I am following a market observer that thinks that it is all about China. Monetary easing (providing more liquidity) would allow China to get further ahead, while America wants to pull the plug and get a huge real estate bubble to burst - at any price. Arguably they did that to Japan in the past.

I posted this at the end of December:
cheapmoneypeak_now-jpg.44286

The blue line shows how easy it was to get access to cheap money. The orange line shows how the stock market responded to that. I assume that the stock market and other asset classes will follow the blue line, unless the Central Banks start reversing course - lowering interest rates and buying up bonds to lower the yields and interest rates. I have not seen an update since then, but I think earnings have yet to take a really significant hit. Liquidity is drying up somewhat slowly, I think.

A while ago, the most important question for people trying to predict what is next for the market was: will the Central Banks be forced to continue quantative tightening (reducing liquidity) because of inflation.
So people closely observed inflation metrics.

Now they wonder: will the Central Banks be forced to start monetary easing because of a recession? So they follow recession indicators.

People who think the geopolitical motivation is more important don't care much about either question, they follow how large the fallout is on the Chinese and the Amican side - who is winning?

The part about hard assets is:
when you expect a tempest in these more liquid and less tangible financial products / assets, then you can move money into commodities and hard assets.

They might seemingly go against your high risk tolerance, but a coming tempest might just wipe out pretty much everything in its path. Nothing guaranties that crypto is a winner when traditional assets lose.

You can go short, but a tempest means volatility and short positions get knocked out left and right.
Having money in less volatile and decentralized cryptocurrency products might be an okay long term investment, but that also doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

I fear it is a bad time to aim for huge returns in general, unless you buy into the concept of starting a business that helps people.

I hope people will point out any errors. I am also still just trying to piece things together.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Interestingly the only people I know who are “successful” slowlaners(never started a business) did it through:

1. A high paying job.
2. Investing in real estate.

I Notice how there’s NOBODY that did it through compound interest(LOL) or mutual funds. At least I've never met that person. Albeit it would take you 20 years.
Real Estate gave them the leverage. You cannot do a 20 percent down payment and borrow the rest from the bank for REIT.

But it comes with great risk, timing the market wrongly with leverage could be bankruptcy.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
They never factored in the risk of inflation or higher interest rates. They thought that interest rates would be 0 or close to it continuously. What I have seen is people who crash and burn. Then they are replaced by a newbie who lasts until the next downturn -- when they crash and burn -- to be replaced by another newbie who lasts until...
I talked to a banker who used to work in the U.S. because U.S. banks can resell the interest rate hike risk as financial products to other buyers (hedge funds and sophisticated investors).

In Singapore, there is no such market available for banks to transfer the risk. Hence our fixed rate is max 3-5 years.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Many points to wrap my head around, thanks. The things that I have previously heard before are from Warren Buffetts
letters to the shareholders. So what banks did with the float is not even the issue here? It is not about leverage and more about balance? How is this game winnable for banks? They should have stopped loaning money to customers when the trend changed or is there another asset class they were allowed to use to be able to pay interest that is better aligned with higher short term yields?
I suppose monetary policy depends on banks being more conservative when there is monetary tightening going on!?

There are several narratives that come together and nobody can list them all. Some are contrarian and it is hard to predict how they will play out together.

Lets look at a few of the terms used recently and think about how they relate to crypto.

Many cryptocurrency enthusiasts say the value lies in the peer-to-peer, no government control character. We might see a hard landing scenario where many people will have a hard time and lose a lot. Whole countries will have debt crises. At that point the trust in the financial system might collapse and cryptocurrencies will be the alternative to the traditional system.
I personally think it is a huge leap. Even if such a shift happens then there will be a million events on the way there that can wipe out your investments, even if you have the right idea in general.

What msufan wrote is an interesting addition to that. It is interesting to see how available liquidity (how easy is it to get money and how little interest do you have to pay for it) affects the price of Bitcoin. There are obvious issues now with inflation and if these issues had prompted people to move money into cryptocurrencies, then it would have made this a gradual thing.
Now it looks like it might be an all-or-nothing deal. Is a full blown collapse of the financial system required for the crypto bull case?

When the market was flooded with liquidity, cryptocurrencies did well. That is nice and all, but if that is all there is, then it is just one of many asset classes that behave the same way - not much special about it.
Bitcoin always had the halvings going for it ... which should keep the price rising exponentially - but how well is that actually working these days?
Some people say the negative news (FTX collapse) of cryptocurrencies have just proved that centralized cryptocurrencies have never done well while decentralized has been growing steadily and is doing fine. It could slowly but surely take market share, so there might be long term opportunities, especially when you look into smart contracts.

A few points about liquidity. Monetary policy is based on the idea that there is a sweet spot where there is just the right amount of growth and innovation without exuberance. It can be out of balance in two directions:

Treasury bills are the way to control this. Basically the central banks say: buy treasury bonds and you get a given yield with close to zero risk. The higher the yield is, the harder it is to compete with these bonds. This pulls liquidity out of the unreasonable project. Only the best alternatives are supposed to survive, those that can still beat the bond yields.

When Covid restrictions hit, companies needed to get their hands on money just to survive, so the central banks had to provide liquidity.
Now inflation is running wild. Arguably that means that access to money is too easy, because people and companies are willing to pay any price!?

A strong case can be made that this is just wrong. There have been suppy chain issues and energy troubles due to politics that lead to high prices.
Is this really something that monetary policy should fix, or is now a situation where money should be cheap so that companies can transition and innovate to make energy and food more affordable again?

I am following a market observer that thinks that it is all about China. Monetary easing (providing more liquidity) would allow China to get further ahead, while America wants to pull the plug and get a huge real estate bubble to burst - at any price. Arguably they did that to Japan in the past.

The blue line shows how easy it was to get access to cheap money. The orange line shows how the stock market responded to that. I assume that the stock market and other asset classes will follow the blue line, unless the Central Banks start reversing course - lowering interest rates and buying up bonds to lower the yields and interest rates. I have not seen an update since then, but I think earnings have yet to take a really significant hit. Liquidity is drying up somewhat slowly, I think.

A while ago, the most important question for people trying to predict what is next for the market was: will the Central Banks be forced to continue quantative tightening (reducing liquidity) because of inflation.

Now they wonder: will the Central Banks be forced to start monetary easing because of a recession? So they follow recession indicators.

People who think the geopolitical motivation is more important don't care much about either question, they follow how large the fallout is on the Chinese and the Amican side - who is winning?

when you expect a tempest in these more liquid and less tangible financial products / assets, then you can move money into commodities and hard assets.

They might seemingly go against your high risk tolerance, but a coming tempest might just wipe out pretty much everything in its path. Nothing guaranties that crypto is a winner when traditional assets lose.

You can go short, but a tempest means volatility and short positions get knocked out left and right.
Having money in less volatile and decentralized cryptocurrency products might be an okay long term investment, but that also doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

I fear it is a bad time to aim for huge returns in general, unless you buy into the concept of starting a business that helps people.

I hope people will point out any errors. I am also still just trying to piece things together.
It is pretty certain that if we need a recession to kill inflation, Fed is willing to pay the price.

In an ideal world, Fed would hope inflation goes down first before we risk a recession. But that doesn't seem to be likely.

In the process of pushing the economy towards recession, the Fed does not want a depression too.

The greatest fear is 1)depression, followed by 2)inflation, and recession is ranked number 3.

Think of inflation as cancer as an illness. Tightening is chemo. Without treatment, the patient is destined to die. Recession and slowing down are side effects of the chemo. Chemo therapy's goal is to kill the cancer cells before the side effects of chemo kill the patient.

So outside variables play a part. How fast can China's supply chain recover from mitigating inflation? When is the Ukraine war coming to an end? If the global supply chain recovers fast, QT does not need to stay for too long.

The whole market fantasy that we will stop tightening to avoid the risk of a recession is most likely a fantasy.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Having money in less volatile and decentralized cryptocurrency products might be an okay long term investment, but that also Ddoesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

Before Covid, I was part of a Landlord's association here locally. The leaders of this group were doing RRR&R programs (rehab, rent, refinance, & repeat) as fast as they could in the apartment market. When they got any equity above 20% they refinanced and repeated. I was on a debt reduction program for my RE debts. They thought I was crazy. They seriously set me down to explain leverage to me -- like I didn't understand. They had 8 to 10 years of experience in the RE business. I countered with my 40+ years of experience (today it's 47 years) and I tried to explain 1980 and 1990 to them. They thought I was missing out on the boom. And I couldn't convince them that I was sitting on the sidelines on purpose waiting on the other shoe to drop.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It is pretty certain that if we need a recession to kill inflation, Fed is willing to pay the price.

In an ideal world, Fed would hope inflation goes down first before we risk a recession. But that doesn't seem to be likely.

In the process of pushing the economy towards recession, the Fed does not want a depression too.

The greatest fear is 1)depression, followed by 2)inflation, and recession is ranked number 3.

Think of inflation as cancer as an illness. Tightening is chemo. Without treatment, the patient is destined to die. Recession and slowing down are side effects of the chemo. Chemo therapy's goal is to kill the cancer cells before the side effects of chemo kill the patient.

So outside variables play a part. How fast can China's supply chain recover from mitigating inflation? When is the Ukraine war coming to an end? If the global supply chain recovers fast, QT does not need to stay for too long.

The whole market fantasy that we will stop tightening to avoid the risk of a recession is most likely a fantasy.
Inflation? In early 1980 mortgage interest rates went from 9 1/2% to 22% overnight. The interest rates must be higher than the inflation rate. And the reported numbers don't include the nut of the problem! It's deflated on purpose.

Supply chain? I read a whole book the other day on how broken supply chains cannot be put back together. New ones must be built that don't look anything like the ones they are replacing. Makes sense. Our old supply chains depended on the USA paroling the international shipping routes. Those huge ships loaded with shipping containers are sitting ducks for pirates and other bad actors.

You also must look at our trading relationship with Japan in the late 1980s which ripened around 1990. They have yet to economically recover. It is a cautionary tale for manufacturing in China.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Will Monday March 13 be another Black Monday? The 1929 and 1987 crashes were on Mondays.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Will Monday March 13 be another Black Monday? The 1987 crash was on a Monday.
It will be interesting. SVB will open its doors on Monday post-seizure and under supervision. The part of this bank crash that gets me is that 94% of deposits are not insured under FDIC -- which implies that those accounts exceeded the $250,000 limits. And the cash withdrawal run that happened on Thursday and Friday totaled in the billions. They had to sell their treasury notes at steep discounts to meet that demand, thus leaving them with no liquid reserves. The bank has a bunch of clients out there that had their money for payrolls and expenses in their accounts -- that is now tied up in the Federal banking supervision system. No one has talked about the receivables balance sheet. BUT there are hints that they were doing higher-risk loans to start-ups and young tech companies. Will Monday be black? I know it's going to be deep in the red-ink zone. And I'm afraid this is the canary in the coal mine.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was talking to my old business partner. We're still friends after 35 years of hanging around together and doing a bunch of investment deals. I was just reminding him of the Buffet quote about the tide going out. We'll soon know who was swimming without their bathing trunks!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It will be interesting. SVB will open its doors on Monday post-seizure and under supervision. The part of this bank crash that gets me is that 94% of deposits are not insured under FDIC -- which implies that those accounts exceeded the $250,000 limits. And the cash withdrawal run that happened on Thursday and Friday totaled in the billions. They had to sell their treasury notes at steep discounts to meet that demand, thus leaving them with no liquid reserves. The bank has a bunch of clients out there that had their money for payrolls and expenses in their accounts -- that is now tied up in the Federal banking supervision system. No one has talked about the receivables balance sheet. BUT there are hints that they were doing higher-risk loans to start-ups and young tech companies. Will Monday be black? I know it's going to be deep in the red-ink zone. And I'm afraid this is the canary in the coal mine.

I started unloading my cash at my main bank on Friday just in case, I was well over $250K and disappointed in myself that I left it like that far too long.

Will Monday March 13 be another Black Monday? The 1929 and 1987 crashes were on Mondays.

Very possible, Mondays and Fridays are when bad things happen.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I started unloading my cash at my main bank on Friday just in case, I was well over $250K and disappointed in myself that I left it like that far too long.

Very possible, Mondays and Fridays are when bad things happen.
That is why I was talking to my old investment partner. I know he has about 2M in his account. I made sure that he had a heads-up.

The other rule is to have no more than 20% of your cash in any one bank once you have your nose against the FDIC limits.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Now they are saying that the CEO of SVB sold a bunch of his stock in the bank - and everyone got their annual bonuses - just before the receivership.

Those high risk loans didn't work out with the way interest rates went - but they still got to cash out. Makes you wonder - who else is "in the know"?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Now they are saying that the CEO of SVB sold a bunch of his stock in the bank - and everyone got their annual bonuses - just before the receivership.

Those high risk loans didn't work out with the way interest rates went - but they still got to cash out. Makes you wonder - who else is "in the know"?
They also say that it wasn't just the CEO -- several people who were "in the know" also sold their stock before the hammer fell. They had to know in advance of the money run. It is a very sad situation when a bank goes down.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
It is just a maturity mismatching problem. They will be in profits if they can hold the bonds toll maturity but they have obligation to provide withdrawal upon request. If the relevant government authority can extend a line of credit everything will be fine real fast.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It is just a maturity mismatching problem. They will be in profits if they can hold the bonds toll maturity but they have obligation to provide withdrawal upon request. If the relevant government authority can extend a line of credit everything will be fine real fast.
My understanding is that they already had to sell the bonds to meet the withdrawal demands. And the sales were at a deep discount pushing their stock value to 0. To me, it looks like the party is over. That would only leave the accounts receivables (loan portfolios) and their commercial RE locations in the asset column. Both can and will be sold to raise cash. When I was doing RE appraisals, I used to help with some of those portfolio sales and RE transactions -- especially in the 1990s crash when the Savings & Loan Associations and Thrifts collapsed. This feels like the bank's assets were mismanaged and they lost a boatload of money. I suspect that most of the money has already been lost

Last edited:

The Sandman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2022
can somebody explain to me in plain english whether the stock market will go up or down in the next months? I dont understand interest rates or yields or this or that, i do understand cycles, will the next cycle be going up or down? i want to know if my investments are safe. thanks

Absolutely. I am certain the stock market will go up and down many times in the next months.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Just came over the net...
"Just days after the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank, State Authorities have closed down Signature Bank, citing “systemic risk”. According to reports, shareholders and debtholders will not be protected."

As I said on Friday, SVB was just the canary in the coal mine. This one went down before they had a run on the bank funds because of the weekend timing. Tomorrow will be an interesting banking day. Ops. Isn't that an old Chinese curse -- May you have an interesting life...

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I hope all these gets contained. If it spreads and does collateral damage across the US financial system and economy, it'll be a black swan event for the world.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I hope all these gets contained. If it spreads and does collateral damage across the US financial system and economy, it'll be a black swan event for the world.
I don't know IF I would call it a "black swan" event since we can all remember 2008. We've all seen this "swan" before -- whether we understood it or not. And some of us are old enough to remember 1973, 1980, and 1990. This problem is to be expected if you track the economy.

The current "woke" thinking is that you, as the government, can print, spend any amount of money, and run up unlimited debts --without causing hobbling inflation to flower into a deep lingering depression which ultimately ends in a system-wide collapse that bottoms out into total bankruptcy of our society. These "woke" people are being proven wrong on several, in-your-face fronts. These are classic financial mistakes by people who have only known good times and think they are going to go on forever. They bet the farm, and thus our country, on it.

Can we fix it in time? Can the USA keep its status as the most powerful nation and the world's reserve currency? Can we stop this steady march toward WWIII or a civil war between the haves and have-nots? Is it all that dire?

This situation raises more questions than it answers...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.