The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! Starting a lawn care service business

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Johnny boy is the example of 'get shit done' ....... take lesson all that are 'thinking' about starting a business ..... .get started.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
California
@Johnny boy Amazing journey so far. I'm curious how often do you run into trouble with your tools breaking down on you both physically or mechanically? And say if there was a Pick-n-Pull for lawn mowers would you pay a visit v.s. ordering a new part online.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy Amazing journey so far. I'm curious how often do you run into trouble with your tools breaking down on you both physically or mechanically? And say if there was a Pick-n-Pull for lawn mowers would you pay a visit v.s. ordering a new part online.
Yeah stuff breaks down. I just buy a new mower or whatever broke. I don’t have time to care about fixing it.

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
California
Yeah stuff breaks down. I just buy a new mower or whatever broke. I don’t have time to care about fixing it.
Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Applied for an EIDL (economic injury disaster loan) from the SBA the same day it went live. Now, I got approved for 24k over 30 years at 3%.

F6378A12-9158-4241-813E-A09984CCEDB1.jpeg

The loan was approved and I should be getting funds soon. I already have my second truck and trailer, and I’ll be putting a grand into the equipment for it. Then, I’ll be putting 2 grand into ads which are getting me a huge ROI. I should be able to fill up two crews worth of work and profit around 80,000 net 12 months from when they are at capacity. I’ll be able to take that and easily invest into a 3rd and 4th crew for 2021. At 4 crews I would net 200k+.

Gidoza45

New Contributor
Dec 6, 2018
Update: our second crew started working today. Everything went smooth. We are at 9500/mo in revenue. The goal for two crews is to be at 16,000.
Awesome! What is your hiring process and your process for training the new hires to make sure they do quality work?

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Awesome! What is your hiring process and your process for training the new hires to make sure they do quality work?
1. Hire based on gut feeling and specific needs of that moment in time. Sometimes a guy who’s experienced is needed more than a guy who is reliable. Sometimes the other way around. You just interview people and try them out and replace when it doesn’t work. No science to it. My biggest tip is to create a job for them that doesn’t rely on them being great. Have great systems that can allow for employees to be retards and still have things work out.
2. I work alongside the least competent people and the best guy runs the other crew. I show everyone how we do things and I give the other crew the easiest work (for now). Slowly we raise everyone’s level of competency, then give them autonomy while stressing quality over speed, then as I add more customers to the schedule I impose time goals based on how much customers are paying. 8k a month per crew is the goal capacity. If we are working full time and can’t get there I say “stay under 60 minutes at Bobs house” in our notes and it goes like that. Quality control is done by occasional drive by’s and customer complaints. No complaints = no problems 99% of the time. This is not a game of perfection. It’s a game of “good enough”.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
franchising next summer @Johnny boy ?
might be some people on here that could start those franchises for you in their cities?

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
franchising next summer @Johnny boy ?
might be some people on here that could start those franchises for you in their cities?
Not next year. Maybe 3-4 years from now. Maybe more. No real brand equity and the name is location specific. Needs to rebrand, build a name across the state, then use the franchise model to expand to multiple states. All in due time. Right now is the time to grow as a single location and build up revenue, then use profits to do other things like buy a commercial location and build on it, standardize and brand all the equipment, trucks and trailers, and create/test detailed systems for every little part of the business operations. That’s something better saved for 2022

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Johnny boy what if an aspiring forum member hit you up and wanted to be your initial test case in another market? could you use their desire to build a business to make this plan happen sooner?
why wait? let's go!!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Johnny boy

Johnny boy

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
@Johnny boy what if an aspiring forum member hit you up and wanted to be your initial test case in another market? could you use their desire to build a business to make this plan happen sooner?
why wait? let's go!!
I would be happy to coach someone and give them every detail about how I run my business and give them as much help as they needed but under a different name and I wouldn’t ask for any money from them. I’m not afraid of any competition. Hell, they could do it in the same city as me. There’s plenty to go around.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
thanks @Johnny boy . you are doing to do awesome! your reply is why i look forward to riding on your corporate jet one day!
----------------------------------------------------
all we can do is lay the gold bar out in the middle of the street .....
it is up to the person to walk out there and get it.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
I would be happy to coach someone and give them every detail about how I run my business and give them as much help as they needed but under a different name and I wouldn’t ask for any money from them. I’m not afraid of any competition. Hell, they could do it in the same city as me. There’s plenty to go around.
I'm gonna hit you up after summer, we've looked into expanding in a multi-service business.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Received, and I replied ;) Hope you will take out more protegesss soon ;)
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock