The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a business when large capital is needed

Idea threads
D

Deleted107976

From research within the field of climate change and energy usage efficiency in the UK, there is a strong need for batteries to be produced for vehicles and energy storage. As an engineer who has studied the subject on energy storage I am looking to start a company that manufacture EV batteries. My value skew is based on using another material instead of Lithium ion and produce massless batteries or structural batteries that are light in weight but have the same energy storage capacity. Problem is I have no where near the type of money needed to execute this. When researching for the manufacturing machine, I'd need to have at least 1.5 million in capital to get this started. My question is how do I get this started. Are business loans the right path?

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What is your design for a battery that works better or is in any way superior to what exists now?

If you don’t actually know the specifics for a design and how you’ll improve what currently exists, then what evidence do you have that even remotely suggests that you’ll be able to improve anything?

What is the percentage likelihood that you’ll be able to affect anything in regards to battery technology, and then do it in such a way that becomes proprietary so it can’t be immediately copied, and then marketable enough to make you any money?

Some businesses aren’t meant to be started by broke people. Go try to compete with spacex or blue origin, those guys knew you had to have billions before trying to be in that “space”. Maybe you should go make a million before getting into the EV battery manufacturing/innovation space. It’s not all that hard to do.

D

Deleted107976

What is your design for a battery that works better or is in any way superior to what exists now?

If you don’t actually know the specifics for a design and how you’ll improve what currently exists, then what evidence do you have that even remotely suggests that you’ll be able to improve anything?

What is the percentage likelihood that you’ll be able to affect anything in regards to battery technology, and then do it in such a way that becomes proprietary so it can’t be immediately copied, and then marketable enough to make you any money?

Some businesses aren’t meant to be started by broke people. Go try to compete with spacex or blue origin, those guys knew you had to have billions before trying to be in that “space”. Maybe you should go make a million before getting into the EV battery manufacturing/innovation space. It’s not all that hard to do.
Thanks Johnny,

I do know the design particulars needed for a change in battery technology. New materials and a combination or certain chemistry can make batteries more efficient but again research is needed and that requires money.

I think it would change a lot in respect to the battery industry and energy storage as whilst it would be initially costly to produce it would be safer than traditional lithium ion batteries as this material would be less likely catch fire, have a high energy density -Wh/g and better charge and discharge rate. The strength of the material would also contribute the vehicle itself if the battery was part of the structure.

I do agree this kind of business is not really for the broke person and making a million I wish was that easy lol.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Thanks Johnny,

I do know the design particulars needed for a change in battery technology. New materials and a combination or certain chemistry can make batteries more efficient but again research is needed and that requires money.

I think it would change a lot in respect to the battery industry and energy storage as whilst it would be initially costly to produce it would be safer than traditional lithium ion batteries as this material would be less likely catch fire, have a high energy density -Wh/g and better charge and discharge rate. The strength of the material would also contribute the vehicle itself if the battery was part of the structure.

I do agree this kind of business is not really for the broke person and making a million I wish was that easy lol.
Go talk to a 3rd world kid with a bad mindset and talk to them about making $500 and they’ll act like it’s impossible. People think the same way about you when you think that way about money. If you had a solid plan someone might even partner with you.

And okay it sounds like you have no idea what to do about specifically improving batteries.

“Certain chemistry CAN make batteries more efficient” yeah no shit bro. “Okay guys I have calculated how we will solve this problem and the solution is that we have to think a lot and use our brains to figure it out”.

What’s your design idea? What material would you use?

D

Deleted107976

Go talk to a 3rd world kid with a bad mindset and talk to them about making $500 and they’ll act like it’s impossible. People think the same way about you when you think that way about money. If you had a solid plan someone might even partner with you.

And okay it sounds like you have no idea what to do about specifically improving batteries.

“Certain chemistry CAN make batteries more efficient” yeah no shit bro. “Okay guys I have calculated how we will solve this problem and the solution is that we have to think a lot and use our brains to figure it out”.

What’s your design idea? What material would you use?
Why so hostile? I'm just discussing about batteries. Relax.

I'm not going to reveal on a forum what material it is. It's cool I'll figure it out!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

I'm not going to reveal on a forum what material it is. It's cool I'll figure it out!
I think Johnny's point is, theoretically, if you really know how to build a better mousetrap, then you should be able to document it. Patent it. And thus you control a new technology. That only costs your time and some patent/legal fees.

Once you control the rights to your better mousetrap so no one can copy it, you could find a partner capable of raising capital and/or handling any details you are not prepared to handle.

But as Johnny pointed out, you don't seem to know how to actually make it better. You simply have ideas you want to test.

Well, again, you'll have to create the right entity and somehow convince people with deep pocket to take a huge risk on a guy like you that you are the one guy on earth who can bring to life premium massless batteries.

Also, with just a patent you could license the idea, assuming it worked. And you don't need millions for that. Until it comes time to defend the patent.

As an idea, who are the universities already involved in this kind of research. Can you make connections with professors that lead this research?

How about incubators? Have you looked into what it takes to join one of those?

A simple Google search could lead you to resources that answer your question. Which tells me you need a proper mentor type in your life.

You are going to need it because raising $1.5M is:

1. Actually not that hard, and
2. No where near enough money. You'll look like a rookie trying to raise that much for a project that can literally transform the world.

Hth.

D

Deleted107976

I think Johnny's point is, theoretically, if you really know how to build a better mousetrap, then you should be able to document it. Patent it. And thus you control a new technology. That only costs your time and some patent/legal fees.

Once you control the rights to your better mousetrap so no one can copy it, you could find a partner capable of raising capital and/or handling any details you are not prepared to handle.

But as Johnny pointed out, you don't seem to know how to actually make it better. You simply have ideas you want to test.

Well, again, you'll have to create the right entity and somehow convince people with deep pocket to take a huge risk on a guy like you that you are the one guy on earth who can bring to life premium massless batteries.

Also, with just a patent you could license the idea, assuming it worked. And you don't need millions for that. Until it comes time to defend the patent.

As an idea, who are the universities already involved in this kind of research. Can you make connections with professors that lead this research?

How about incubators? Have you looked into what it takes to join one of those?

A simple Google search could lead you to resources that answer your question. Which tells me you need a proper mentor type in your life.

You are going to need it because raising $1.5M is:

1. Actually not that hard, and
2. No where near enough money. You'll look like a rookie trying to raise that much for a project that can literally transform the world.

Hth.
Thank you. I appreciate the response can take a few things away from this.

Cheers

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Like @Johnny boy and @BizyDad said, you can prove your idea works with no money.

Go make a prototype. This shouldn’t cost you much - maybe $100 to $1,000 in testing.

If you aren’t willing or able to put that much of your own money on the line that you aren’t ready for this type of business. But I think you can do it! Go make some prototypes and tests.

Just a word of warning... a better business would be one where you make money from day 1. This type of business means you are effectively losing money and gambling with no clear path to profit. If you are not already rich, this is not a great risk versus reward for you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.