The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Start with the why

Cyberdeth

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I just watched this TED talk by Simon Sinek where he describes his golden circle which basically says that all sales and basically a business' purpose, should really start with one question. Why? What do you think about it?

How great leaders inspire action

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This is one my favourite ted talks - quite popular, I think one of the most watched. I used this framework when working in marketing for a large national retailer and it was the key to my success in almost all marketing-related initiatives.

If you think about it - it's common sense really. Even as people, we can't build meaningful, purpose-driver lives without understanding our OWN why.

Anyway - not sure how relevant this is to my smaller-sized business doing $250k a year, as opposed to the $50 million dollar a year company I used this on.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yea loved it. I think it really pairs well with Chapter 45 in Unscripted about branding.

Oddly enough though I'm not a HUUUUGE fan of some of his other videos. He has one talk that is shared on FB lots with inspirational music and the "WATCH THIS IF" stuff pasted on top. Basically just him saying millennials are hard to manage in workplaces and employers need to adjust lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
This is one my favourite ted talks - quite popular, I think one of the most watched. I used this framework when working in marketing for a large national retailer and it was the key to my success in almost all marketing-related initiatives.

If you think about it - it's common sense really. Even as people, we can't build meaningful, purpose-driver lives without understanding our OWN why.

Anyway - not sure how relevant this is to my smaller-sized business doing $250k a year, as opposed to the $50 million dollar a year company I used this on.

Can you elaborate on how you used it in your previous job? Interesting concept but I'm not clear on how it translates to action, it would be helpful to hear some examples.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Can you elaborate on how you used it in your previous job? Interesting concept but I'm not clear on how it translates to action, it would be helpful to hear some examples.

I love ranting about my marketing past, so sure lol.

What Simon Sinek talks about is really just a fancy way of talking about company values/culture and how it translates into your consumer marketing. I came in to this business when it was going through a transition in leadership (auto repair franchise). The business was stagnant because customers/employees didn't believe in the brand, nobody was making the right decisions driven by any brand values, customers didn't understand what differentiated us. The issue was they were marketing themselves as "auto experts" (which every competitor was doing), the brand focus was on something called "CAR LOVE" basically you love your car so you take it to the experts. Basically really low BLAH energy in the whole place.

After some digging we found that the reason most franchisees joined was because of the founder, his focus on INTEGRITY (specifically that word).. We also found that in auto repair most customers worry about getting screwed over, and they desperately want to visit shops with integrity as well as with a great customer experience. Basically what made people passionate about their work was Integrity. So we basically did a 2 year reinvention of the brand focused on something called "Experience Integraty" - integraty was sort of a cute play on the business name (Integra).

The key with starting with WHY is an internal change first. We got employees excited again about the brand - they started talking about how to demonstrate "integraty" even if it was small things like doing more charitable work, learning more to better serve the customers, demonstrating honesty even when it was difficult. Managers actually had a "WHY" or value system to hire people based on and not just "do you have the skills" When we changed the outward facing marketing that's when people really clicked - we had MORE traction in commercials for a auto repair shop, without even MENTIONING the word "Auto repair" - customers knew it was for a mechanic shop but they latched onto the "WHY" - the subject "integrity" and trusted the brand more.

Grey revenues from $30-$50 Million in the 3 years I was there and grew franchisees by 30% after just shifting the brand focus.

Here's an example of an ad that drove sales the most - keep in mind the product isn't even mentioned.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.