• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Sold business for several $million - now a family business?

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by Scott Fleming, Feb 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Scott Fleming

Scott Fleming Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $202
    Hello Community,

I recently sold my Amazon business for several $million after 3.5yrs of non-stop extremely hard work and commitment. Everything is possible, but it's not easy!

My 3 children (16, 18, 20) all want to follow in my footsteps. Difficulty I am having right now is how to direct them - if they should join the scripted and get a job short term, while they work on the entrepreneurial dream on the sidelines. Difficult as they need an income and they need to learn and experience some of the crappy scripted dogma crap before they can really appreciate and get that FTE experience so they can begin their journey. Starting a family business is one option, but it's selecting the right one. Still some time to think it through I guess...

In the mean time, I have bought them both books to read to begin their true education process :)

Looking forward to being part of this community

Scott

tpf, FinnVenture, ruzara5 and 30 others like this.
  2. D.Gintz

D.Gintz New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $98
    Congratulations.

Attached Files:

Scott Fleming likes this.
  3. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,783
    Congratulations Scott!

Acknowledge early the dynamics of locking family and business together, and make sure everybody understands and agrees with each other’s expectations. It will put stress on your relationships and create issues down the road if the relationships and work ethic aren’t strong enough from all parties.

I hope to see the progress of whatever you decide, very cool.

Sivage and Scott Fleming like this.
  4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $175,407
    Congrats.

@ZCP ... how’s it going with your kids and their business?

5. Scott Fleming

Scott Fleming Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $202
    Only sold mine (completely - as in finished training and got final payment) 2 weeks ago. 20yr old has the starting of a new Instagram business, 18 year old has a job just now and the 16yr old still at school

minivanman and Andy Black like this.
  6. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,783
    First, congrats! That's an awesome milestone.

Second, I would warn against a family business.

My wife works in an orthopedic surgeon's office. On the outside, it is one of the most prestigious doctors offices in our area. Every day it looks like black friday doorbusters. Seriously. He sees more than 80 patients on clinic days, more than the other 5 doctors combined. And conducts 14 surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The dude is a machine, and one of the best. He HAS and CONTINUES to build one of the most highly regarded offices in the region.

Here's where he messed up. Upon divorce proceedings, he brought in his girlfriend to assume the position of office manager. She's good looking, probably a former stripper(rumored, not confirmed), and terrible at business. Every time there's an employee that leaves, she brings in a family member. There are now no less than a DOZEN people who are closely tied to this woman, by either blood or friendship.

Most of these "employees," are actually bad at their jobs, and have zero punishment from their protected status. Because of this lack of firing for lack of proficiency, the clinic is toxic. The problem, is that when these people are actually BAD at their job, there is no recourse. No one fires their brother, best friend, aunt, or cousin. And the outsiders all notice. Because the outsiders suffer from working in close proximity to these ... substandard employees. Hiring family is easy, but firing family extends beyond the professional paycheck. Say goodbye to your holiday cheer, your dinners, and other functions.

I hate to have painted this picture in your somewhat celebratory thread, but I would STRONGLY suggest that you support each of your children to build their own separate business. They will be able to support each other if needed, while being able to maintain wholesome relationships outside of the workplace.

DustinH, MiLeung, TheCj and 7 others like this.
  7. Ernman

Ernman Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $282
    I've experienced two family biz as a non-fam member. One sucked hugely. Family members not doing their jobs, get paid way more, etc. The other was great. In fact, the son was better at the biz than his dad who started it. The difference was that the son had to work his way up from the bottom. He started while still in school sweeping, mopping and cleaning the crappers. When he was old enough, he started loading the trucks, then driving, then managing the yard, etc. Everyone knew he had earned his place.

tpf, FinnVenture, TheCj and 4 others like this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,100
    Admin Post
    Wow, almost missed this thread.

Big congratulations on the big sale!

Generally I would avoid mixing family with business.

I'd be supportive, but not entangled.

Thank you for that, means a ton to me!

9. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,873
    My immediate thought is that each kid should start their own business. Mentoring them will probably accelerate their progress. This is just the model I have for "family business" I guess.

My family is like this... Mom, Dad, Granddad(s), Uncle, Sister, Brother in Law, all have/had a business. Most of the time we're just friendly bystanders to each other's businesses. And maybe nobody charges Mom for the products ;) (unless Mom insists, in which case all shall obey). I think that's a good model though.

We all tend to develop different ideas about the direction, the culture, the best way to run things, etc. That could get really stressful if you have two members of the family trying to run parts of the same business at the same time. Succession is another story, because control is passed from one to the other... you still only have one person making the decisions, and that's a lot less stressful.

10. MrYoshi

MrYoshi Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $893
    Incredible job - this is inspiring!

11. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $175,407
    This is how I’d like to do it with my sons. Everyone sets up wee businesses and all support and help each other out.

FinnVenture, Jonathan Hoch and Rabby like this.
  12. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,873
  13. Surf16

Surf16 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $410
    Very inspiring @Scott Fleming

Love reading stories like this.

My son is only 5 but I am already asking him what kind of business he wants to own.

It's usually a Power Ranger or Dinosaur business... But hey I am planting the seed young!

tpf, FinnVenture, Kid and 1 other person like this.
  14. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,494
    I would include reminding the kids that the first business venture isn't usually the "home run" business that makes it big. It might be the 2nd, 3rd, or whatever business that ends up being the big, scalable money maker.

Also, make them get a shitty job. That way they understand what its like to be an employee. If they can get something where they are working beside someone twice their age then that might help, too. They might think "man, I don't want to be like this guy working next to me in 20 years" and be more motivated to work hard. It sounds arrogant when I'm saying that out-loud but it's the truth. I worked a lot of shit jobs and it helped me a) realize that being an employee sucks and b) realize what I didn't want to do as much as focusing on what I wanted to do.

tpf and FinnVenture like this.
  15. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $48,771
    Congratulations! People like @JasonR and others here have also sold Amazon businesses and shared their stories on how they sold them.

But every deal is different and exits and business sales never get old, so if you feel like sharing how your sale went down in a separate thread, I'm sure the forum would love to hear it!

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.