The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sold Business But Felt Empty...Recharged After Reading Fastlane!

Share your FTE moment...

henrytan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 12, 2011
Singapore
Hey guys,
Henry here from Singapore, not sure if i am the first from SG, but i sure didn't see SG listed on the very first post of "You're from where?"

Anyway, i just finished reading Fastlane, and i must say i started with the mindset that this book must be one of those "Get Rich Easy" books, and i read it with skepticism. By the end of it, i am a convert. I must say the content inside ranks as one of the best "personal development" books out there.

How did i get to read this book? Well, in Feb 2011, i sold my ecommerce biz after building it with my partner since Oct 2008. My business went from zero to annual revenues of $267k in 2 years, and I went from -$70k to positive net worth in 2+ years. It felt truly liberating to be debt free for the first time in 4 years... How i got into a -$70k debt, and the longer version of story can be found at henry-tan.com. (Nope i did not sell my biz for millions :) )

However after selling my biz, after the initial exhilaration, i felt empty. For the last 2+ years i was so driven to succeed, and yet once i achieved it, i felt nothing. I have no drive, and everyday was just telling myself to chill and to take a "deserved break".

In need of inspiration, i devoured books. For the past 2 months, i have been reading and reading a lot, and i found MJ and Fastlane from one of the Mixergy interviews.

I bought the book, and after reading it, i can say that i am recharged and ready to go. I have not felt the desire to start any business more strongly than i am now.

I like to personally thank MJ for persevering and finish writing the book (read about your struggles in the book). Without which, it would not have benefit so many people.

Lets go guys!
Henry

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Cool story, something different here - you made good money and felt bad - I think you're unique over here haha :)

Enjoy yourself and WELCOME

henrytan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 12, 2011
Singapore
Thanks TK1!

Its more like the goal i was chasing the one that drives me in my business isn't the real goal. I guess that's what they say abt success is not a goal but the journey.

Actually i was wondering if MJ (or any of you who sold your business) felt the same after selling his business the first time. Do share with us your thoughts on this.

Henry

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Welcome to the forum.

you made good money and felt bad - I think you're unique over here haha :)
No, he's not unique. I know a few of us here have gone through a similar feeling.

I remember working a SFH deal for quite some time, and when I sold and got the big check I was excited. The next day was like "what do I do now?"

Suddenly the purpose and drive of this one effort vanished and all I got was this big check.

I know others here share that feeling.

Welcome again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Actually i was wondering if MJ (or any of you who sold your business) felt the same after selling his business the first time. Do share with us your thoughts on this.

Not at all ... I was ecstatic and excited about doing it again. The startup process is very exciting to me! Even after the 2nd time, I was excited about the process of writing a book (which then became not so exciting!)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
My company, which was owned by myself and 3 partners was bought out and we took it to 400 employees before everything blew up in the dot com bust. Selling was a temporary rush for me. It always has been. I seek fulfillment elsewhere. Money is very nice and I seem born to obsess over it, but I understand that, for me, it doesn't provide lasting happiness. I don't think money should be able to do that anyway, but that's another story.

Great story and good luck in your future!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.