The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I launched an ebook yesterday...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Hi everyone

I've been on the forum for a year or two; viewing, commenting and posting a few times as well. I even started a thread about starting my own digital marketing agency last year that I never really got stuck into. It's crazy when you look back and realise how much you action-faked in the past.

So the point of this thread is another execution, but this time I took action first.

As the title says: I launched an ebook yesterday.

I'll give a brief overview of what the book is about and my process...

--

So the book is in the gaming genre and is technically a guide to how to play a simulation game and my experience from playing it for years. I have been part of forums and FB groups for a number of years and recently I started helping people (for free) who had problems with the game. I started receiving likes on comments and messages from people asking for more help. This is when I decided to write the book based on what I'd been helping people with. I knuckled down and wrote it in around 4/5 days and decided I was going to use one FB group specifically that had 8000+ members (it was the one I had been helping people in the most) to announce the book on to start getting sales. I used a website called Payhip which is technically acts as a hosting platform for customers to buy the book through. They only take a 5% commission and it allows people to pay through PayPal without the need of me setting up a website etc. so it was a no brainer seeing as I didn't know how well the book was going to do.

I launched the book yesterday and have received a really good reception so far, nothing out of this world, but I've never sold anything that has been created by me before so it was nice to see people interested.

Then I received my first sale! The book is priced at £5.99 and gives the customer the option to pay more if they wish. Then another came in... and another after that!

Yesterday I sold 10 copies and so far today I've sold 6. Feels great knowing that I've created something once and it can make me money at any time.

--

So I've started this thread not only to document my journey but also to ask for suggestions on ways to market my book even further. I'll give a quick overview on what I've done so far:

- Created an informational e-book on a particular video game
- Helped a number of people within a FB group relevant to the book topic (gave free value)
- Announced the book on that particular FB group
- Made 16 sales in 2 days

In terms of marketing here's what I have planned/discussed

- The group creator has welcomed me advertising the book in his group and has said he'll make a group announcement at the weekend with a link to buy the book. He's also said he doesn't mind me regularly promoting the book via the group
- Payhip stores the customers email addresses and when they purchase there is an option to sign up to email marketing (can use this for further books I'm planning to write on the topic)
- I've considered setting up a website/blog posting tips and directing to my book
- Going to look at writing guest blogs on relevant websites surrounding the game
- Currently helping as many other people for free in other groups and looking to promote the book in there as well
- I have considered Amazon and eBay however I think I read in this forum somewhere that Amazon take a large cut(?)

So that's the journey so far. It's really true that just taking action will get you somewhere even if you don't have the greatest of plans or vision in place.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on what I could do to market this further and increase sales. 16 sales may not sound like a lot but to someone who has never sold a product before it's a great feeling when those notifications come through!

Thanks for reading, I'd love to answer any questions you may have as well

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Baravnzla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 7, 2020
Spain
Nice, what sim game is that you write about, if it’s not much asking. Nice to see someone starting a business and being on the way to success.

TheWriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 24, 2020
A cool place
Hi everyone

I've been on the forum for a year or two; viewing, commenting and posting a few times as well. I even started a thread about starting my own digital marketing agency last year that I never really got stuck into. It's crazy when you look back and realise how much you action-faked in the past.

So the point of this thread is another execution, but this time I took action first.

As the title says: I launched an ebook yesterday.

I'll give a brief overview of what the book is about and my process...

--

So the book is in the gaming genre and is technically a guide to how to play a simulation game and my experience from playing it for years. I have been part of forums and FB groups for a number of years and recently I started helping people (for free) who had problems with the game. I started receiving likes on comments and messages from people asking for more help. This is when I decided to write the book based on what I'd been helping people with. I knuckled down and wrote it in around 4/5 days and decided I was going to use one FB group specifically that had 8000+ members (it was the one I had been helping people in the most) to announce the book on to start getting sales. I used a website called Payhip which is technically acts as a hosting platform for customers to buy the book through. They only take a 5% commission and it allows people to pay through PayPal without the need of me setting up a website etc. so it was a no brainer seeing as I didn't know how well the book was going to do.

I launched the book yesterday and have received a really good reception so far, nothing out of this world, but I've never sold anything that has been created by me before so it was nice to see people interested.

Then I received my first sale! The book is priced at £5.99 and gives the customer the option to pay more if they wish. Then another came in... and another after that!

Yesterday I sold 10 copies and so far today I've sold 6. Feels great knowing that I've created something once and it can make me money at any time.

--

So I've started this thread not only to document my journey but also to ask for suggestions on ways to market my book even further. I'll give a quick overview on what I've done so far:

- Created an informational e-book on a particular video game
- Helped a number of people within a FB group relevant to the book topic (gave free value)
- Announced the book on that particular FB group
- Made 16 sales in 2 days

In terms of marketing here's what I have planned/discussed

- The group creator has welcomed me advertising the book in his group and has said he'll make a group announcement at the weekend with a link to buy the book. He's also said he doesn't mind me regularly promoting the book via the group
- Payhip stores the customers email addresses and when they purchase there is an option to sign up to email marketing (can use this for further books I'm planning to write on the topic)
- I've considered setting up a website/blog posting tips and directing to my book
- Going to look at writing guest blogs on relevant websites surrounding the game
- Currently helping as many other people for free in other groups and looking to promote the book in there as well
- I have considered Amazon and eBay however I think I read in this forum somewhere that Amazon take a large cut(?)

So that's the journey so far. It's really true that just taking action will get you somewhere even if you don't have the greatest of plans or vision in place.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on what I could do to market this further and increase sales. 16 sales may not sound like a lot but to someone who has never sold a product before it's a great feeling when those notifications come through!

Thanks for reading, I'd love to answer any questions you may have as well

Can you tell us why you choose Payhip over Gumroad?

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
Nice! I am creating an Ebook currently as well. I was thinking about using Gumroad myself.

I definitely recommend you to look at Twitter as well for marketing. Depending on the niche it looks like a great channel for building an audience.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Congratulations. I envy you.

Maybe you can make the method from "How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months" by John Locke work for you with some adjustments.
Summarized, the strategy is:
  • A WordPress Blog
  • A Twitter Account
  • Writing articles with keywords relevant for your audience
  • Searching for those keywords on Twitter and connecting to people who use the keywords
  • Getting those people to retweet links to your article
  • Having a Call-To-Action on the WordPress page that leads to the E-Book
  • Collect email addresses to make sure to get repeat customers for future releases
Not sure how well this can be applied to your case.

The method seems better suited for novels and a lot of the work is justified only because he keeps releasing new books.
Maybe a variant would be only having one landing page with something entertaining (think: dank memes rather than free content) that people are happy to share. Then drop the email marketing and just build some more profound connections with some people who Tweet about the game and have enough followers.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Nice, what sim game is that you write about, if it’s not much asking. Nice to see someone starting a business and being on the way to success.

Thanks! It's about a popular football (soccer) management simulation game for PC

Can you tell us why you choose Payhip over Gumroad?

In all honesty I done 5 minutes of research online on the best platform to sell an ebook on and Payhip was mentioned a couple of times so that's the one I went with. I knew if I researched for too long I would have started action faking and I wouldn't have ended up publishing - I just wanted to get it out there

Nice! I am creating an Ebook currently as well. I was thinking about using Gumroad myself.

I definitely recommend you to look at Twitter as well for marketing. Depending on the niche it looks like a great channel for building an audience.

Good luck for your book! What genre are you writing about? At this moment in time I'm not sure what the difference between Payhip and Gumroad are. I had a quick look at Gumroad earlier but nothing really stood out - I think they actually take more commission, although it's not by much. Payhip has some good tools like referral schemes, affiliates and discount features too.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Congratulations. I envy you.

Maybe you can make the method from "How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months" by John Locke work for you with some adjustments.
Summarized, the strategy is:
  • A WordPress Blog
  • A Twitter Account
  • Writing articles with keywords relevant for your audience
  • Searching for those keywords on Twitter and connecting to people who use the keywords
  • Getting those people to retweet links to your article
  • Having a Call-To-Action on the WordPress page that leads to the E-Book
  • Collect email addresses to make sure to get repeat customers for future releases
Not sure how well this can be applied to your case.

The method seems better suited for novels and a lot of the work is justified only because he keeps releasing new books.
Maybe a variant would be only having one landing page with something entertaining (think: dank memes rather than free content) that people are happy to share. Then drop the email marketing and just build some more profound connections with some people who Tweet about the game and have enough followers.

Thank you very much, but why the envy? :duh: That's brilliant, thank you for the book recommendation I'll definitely give it a read. Those steps seem logical so I'll take note and get to work over the weekend!

Love the meme idea instead of so much free content, could be a great way to grow my name in general!

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Apologies for the 2 posts in one day but felt this was worth the update...

I passed £100 in sales tonight! Might seem small but for my first venture into something like this it's so motivating to see. Gives me a base to build on and the slightest bit of capital to work with (I started with nothing) if I need it.

Next step is working on further marketing and utilising reviews!

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Thank you very much, but why the envy? :duh: That's brilliant, thank you for the book recommendation I'll definitely give it a read. Those steps seem logical so I'll take note and get to work over the weekend!

Love the meme idea instead of so much free content, could be a great way to grow my name in general!
Why the envy? The sale! Even sales. It is elusive for so many mere mortals like myself. :)
Seriously, so many smart people stress how important that leap is. Be proud!

TheWriter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 24, 2020
A cool place
I knew if I researched for too long I would have started action faking and I wouldn't have ended up publishing

Wow! Sooooo true. I've researched many weeks to find the best selling platform alone. I end up not selling the ebook as I moved on to other projects.

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Why the envy? The sale! Even sales. It is elusive for so many mere mortals like myself. :)
Seriously, so many smart people stress how important that leap is. Be proud!

Having a ready-made audience was a huge part in getting my first sale. Without even realising it I had put myself in a position of authority and people were looking up to me in the group, knowing I could help them. When I posted that I had just written and book and gave them the link, I received comments such as “this will definitely be getting bought later” and “can’t wait to read this” - all based on the help and free value I had provided them in the group in the forthcoming days.

I’m certain if I had just released a book on amazon or eBay etc i wouldn’t have done so well in 2 days

Congrats!

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!