The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I launched a QR menu website, but people are not buying it. I need help

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021
Hi guys, I recently launched a QR menu solution for restaurants. The idea is that by scanning a qr-code, the guest can open the menu on their phone with the speed of a mobile app.

Here's the link: www.menubox.ro

And here is the demo menu: https://menubox.ro/restaurant

Don't look at the language, it's only in Hungarian...

So, since this is a niche market in the area where I live, I thought restaurants would jump at the chance to buy from me. Unfortunately, I was wrong, as I have contacted quite a few places, but only one has contacted me back, saying that they would be interested, and I need to meet them soon to make an appointment.

The unique feature of my platform is that you can showcase the menu with pictures and videos, there is also the option to describe the restaurant and the interface is designed to fully reflect the brand of the restaurant. There is also an admin interface, so you can change the offer in minutes.

The most common objections I've encountered are: where I live in the city, people are not modern enough to use such a thing, they prefer a traditional menu. Some restaurants want to use it, but they prefer to use their own website, so they don't want to use an external company and pay for it. And some places are content with a pdf menu.

So far, I have only visited restaurants in my city, but what I am experiencing is very depressing.

I'm also surprised that people don't buy it, because the world is moving in this direction, towards digitalisation. And such a platform can help sales with beautiful images and videos.

What do you think is the solution? I don't want to let go of the project because I have months of work in it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nodus

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Apr 3, 2018
Tanzania
Hi guys, I recently launched a QR menu solution for restaurants. The idea is that by scanning a qr-code, the guest can open the menu on their phone with the speed of a mobile app.

So, since this is a niche market in the area where I live, I thought restaurants would jump at the chance to buy from me. Unfortunately, I was wrong, as I have contacted quite a few places, but only one has contacted me back, saying that they would be interested, and I need to meet them soon to make an appointment.

The unique feature of my platform is that you can showcase the menu with pictures and videos, there is also the option to describe the restaurant and the interface is designed to fully reflect the brand of the restaurant. There is also an admin interface, so you can change the offer in minutes.

The most common objections I've encountered are: where I live in the city, people are not modern enough to use such a thing, they prefer a traditional menu. Some restaurants want to use it, but they prefer to use their own website, so they don't want to use an external company and pay for it. And some places are content with a pdf menu.

So far, I have only visited restaurants in my city, but what I am experiencing is very depressing.

I'm also surprised that people don't buy it, because the world is moving in this direction, towards digitalisation. And such a platform can help sales with beautiful images and videos.

What do you think is the solution? I don't want to let go of the project because I have months of work in it.
What need does it solve? How dire is the need? Will it bring in more business to the customer?

Personally, I never once entered a restaurant and thought to myself, “well, if only there was a QR code for a menu so I can order”

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021

What need does it solve? How dire is the need? Will it bring in more business to the customer?

Personally, I never once entered a restaurant and thought to myself, “well, if only there was a QR code for a menu so I can order”

such a system has many advantages for restaurants. And in many restaurants it works.

As examples of two sites that are successful in this business:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
This is probably the future, and to some that means it is too 'futuristic'. If you run a traditional restaurant, in a traditional city, it will take time before this feels necessary. Go for new restaurants, fast food restaurants, modern cuisine restaurants, bars, cafes, with young people or tourists as customers, in the capital cities of Europe. They are the ones that will like it.

What if you provide it for free, but as a POS system, collecting a small percentage on electronic payments?

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021
Yes, I intended this to be a quick process, but it will probably be slower than necessary
This is probably the future, and to some that means it is too 'futuristic'. If you run a traditional restaurant, in a traditional city, it will take time before this feels necessary. Go for new restaurants, fast food restaurants, modern cuisine restaurants, bars, cafes, with young people or tourists as customers, in the capital cities of Europe. They are the ones that will like it.

What if you provide it for free, but as a POS system, collecting a small percentage on electronic payments?

Olivier20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 23, 2022
Here in Quebec (well, in the city I live) since Covid, every restaurant now gives you a QR code for a link to a downloadable menu. This is for sanitary reason first they did that but also it takes away the burden for the waiter to always do back and forth with paper menus to new clients.

IMO if it was not for sanitary reasons, this would have never happen.

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021
Here in Quebec (well, in the city I live) since Covid, every restaurant now gives you a QR code for a link to a downloadable menu. This is for sanitary reason first they did that but also it takes away the burden for the waiter to always do back and forth with paper menus to new clients.

IMO if it was not for sanitary reasons, this would have never happen.
Yes, in fact it is the future. or the present :)

digitalhuncho

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jan 12, 2022
Income Hunters
This Is great Idea for passive income business. QR menu became popular during COVID. But I still seeing people who still scan qr codes to order, Good Luck mate!

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
This is something I am afraid of, building something and then realise no one wants it.
How did you confirm the need for this product in your country/ area ?
Did you conduct any kind of market study, analysis?

ijerkov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2022
QR menus were used everywhere during the pandemic in Croatia. But now the real menus are back, and people just like them more.
That doesn't mean that there is no place for QR menus, I think QR menus should work together with paper menus.
QR menu could offer the same and additional info, for example:
- printed menu often has small letters or unusual font, hard to read -> QR menu, you can change the size and fonts
- evening, low light, hard to read -> QR menu
- additional details, images, ingredients -> QR menu
- filtering instead of listing menu -> QR menu

Maybe you can offer restaurants to test it for free and use it with their paper menus. I think you have a better chance if you market it as an extension of the paper menu instead of a replacement.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Personally, I really don’t like the QR code menus. I always ask for a physical one if available.

You have a good point about changing font sizes and the other benefits. One thing that is nice about it is having the option for the same menu in a different language. Maybe that could be an angle? You also have the menu translated to other useful languages for restaurants in tourist areas?

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Maybe there are places where this works and is bought -- I think you said it all within your post though and IMO from an objective viewpoint you've made the classic mistake of building something and then assuming that people will want to buy it.

You've already talked to folks and gotten objections and valuable feedback

where I live in the city, people are not modern enough to use such a thing, they prefer a traditional menu. Some restaurants want to use it, but they prefer to use their own website, so they don't want to use an external company and pay for it. And some places are content with a pdf menu.

You have a call lined up with a customer, try to dig deep into their problems and why this solution would work for them.
Is it a real need? IMO, QR menu codes are a trend forced by covid. I don't know if they will stick around or not. I personally hate it and I ask for a real menu when I see a QR code here in the states.

You linked your website and demo but I'm not sure if that's maybe a pre-mature step? Who cares about your website unless you are driving qualified traffic to it and that traffic is not converting. It sounds like your marketing method atm has been to reach out to customers, so the website doesn't really matter.

If you're stuck on restaurants as a problem area, I would do deep research and look for real painpoints for those customers. Look up the book "The Mom Test", which might help you to perform some of these interviews and uncover habits, problems, etc that signal opportunity.

Good luck!

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I don’t know - myself, I’d definitely prefer looking at the printed menu instead of getting my phone, pointing it somewhere, pushing the screen several times, trying to find something I’d like by scrolling up and down.

I think, it could work in a busy place where you have to wait before you sit down, or in a hotel for a room service, or when booking a table - as a preorder system.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Lots of restaurants here in Calgary, and pretty much every restaurant I went to on Mexico used QR codes. My wife and I absolutely hate it and ask for a physical menu every time.

Nothing says "let's have a good night out" like being forced to stare intently at your phone for 5 minutes to start the night. No thank you.

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021
thanks for the replies everyone. I think that with the changing world this could be a real need for restaurants, so there is still potential. However, I need to take a different approach to selling it. personally i prefer the qr-menu, it is more convenient

@roguehillbilly thank you for the book recommendation, I will definitely read it!​

ijerkov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 27, 2022
My wife and I absolutely hate it and ask for a physical menu every time.
Same here but I don't think it's a completely bad idea. So far we know:
- most people hate it as a replacement for a real menu but some people like it
- can solve readability issues
- can be used to add more languages
- can be used to add additional info like ingredients, photos, maybe a story for some traditional meals, etc.

But the real question is: how this can help a restaurant? Do people who prefer qr menus order more? Are people choosing restaurants based on menu format? How much a restaurant can save by not printing menus? How much will they loose from pissed-off people who hate qr-menus? I don't have the answer to any of these, just some assumptions.

Raymi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Oct 23, 2021
Same here but I don't think it's a completely bad idea. So far we know:
- most people hate it as a replacement for a real menu but some people like it
- can solve readability issues
- can be used to add more languages
- can be used to add additional info like ingredients, photos, maybe a story for some traditional meals, etc.

But the real question is: how this can help a restaurant? Do people who prefer qr menus order more? Are people choosing restaurants based on menu format? How much a restaurant can save by not printing menus? How much will they loose from pissed-off people who hate qr-menus? I don't have the answer to any of these, just some assumptions.
Increase Your Revenue with Digital Menus | Restaurant Management Software | FineDine Menu - Please look at this page. Here it is very nicely described and illustrated the advantages of such a system that works well

Niko32

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jul 4, 2022

Try to come from the other side. Instead of people scanning on their phone. It will be easier when there are large tablets in the restaurant, with the same menu. The waiter brought instead of the usual me, digital me. And a person will not bother to scan something. For many, this is difficult and unnecessary. And it is desirable to keep statistics on clients. Otherwise, the restaurant will switch to a digital menu, and there will be fewer customers. To know what to start from)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.