The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So here I am sitting on the sidewalk…..

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
My girlfriend and I have a 2 bedroom apartment in a shitty part of town. I collect SSI due to a disability that haunts me right now as I type. The pain stops me from doing a lot of physical activities but it doesn’t keep my brain from functioning.

My girlfriend is working a dead end job. She works to pay back a subsidized school loan she defaulted on without even finishing her course. She bought a car on credit just before I met her. She is paycheck to paycheck just to have the car and pay the student loans. If it wasn’t for me she would be with her mom (her mom is a psycho, don’t tell her I told you).

I get a $700 check from the government. This pays my rent and leaves me with $250 for utilities and amenities.
I’m not with an entitlement attitude when it comes to receiving a government benefit. It just makes me feel shitty about myself.

I forgot to mention I get $200 in food stamps per month. It’s now the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] and there is only $50 left on the card. The card will be loaded on the[SUP] 3rd[/SUP] of July. Food is running low so I’m scouting for a food bank.

So here I am sitting on the sidewalk. I have a kindle, a smart phone and a laptop. A good friend of mine gave me the kindle and a $100 Amazon gift card.

Lets see how fast I can get in the car, get in gear and hit the accelerator.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
Best of luck to you, there are people here on the forum that want to see you succeed and overcome your boundaries, make good use of the money you are receiving now and the advice you will receive.

Welcome to the forum!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Your post described all your struggles, but it did not describe your goals moving forward. What is that you want to get into?

Several years ago I went from being a savy nightclub promoter and managing a warehouse... to... on bed rest. I completely obliterated my L4-L5 disc in my back and could barely walk 100 feet without blacking out. That continued for an additional two years. I had to stop everything I was doing and start over with what my current abilities were, which resided inside my head. I had been trading and doing well so I began to do it full time. From there I wanted to automate my trades and began to learn how to code. I then worked at Microsoft for some time and left to found a software business. During the time that I couldn't walk, I lost the majority of the muscle I had spent years to gain and missed out on a lot of life. I took that time to read hundreds, and I mean HUNDREDS of books. If I couldn't move, I was going to feed my life in some other way which was knowledge. Now I have this enormous wealth of knowledge and expertise to drive me forward, my back is mostly fixed, and I'm fully in control of my life.

Stay strong. :)

SueC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 6, 2013
So here I am sitting on the sidewalk. I have a kindle, a smart phone and a laptop. A good friend of mine gave me the kindle and a $100 Amazon gift card.

Been there, without the disability, but the gutter, not the sidewalk. What I would do, is sell the kindle and the $100 gift card. I know it was a gift, but you'll have some capital that way to pay for resources. Specifically, I'd probably spend $35-50 or so plus $20 on ebay and get an older version of Dragon Naturally Speaking and a headset/mike to use with the laptop then you don't have to write the old way.

You can find places online to write short articles and get paid, like textbroker.com, thecontentauthority.com, and a few others, it's not a ton of cash but it's something while you figure out what else to do. What else do you have at home you can sell on ebay? You need money as a buffer, so you're not spending time shopping for food banks but working on your idea. Then figure out what you can do now, fast, and well. Then start. (I might also sell the smartphone and get a no-contract cheapo deal, at least for now, if you didn't have to pay hundreds to get out of your contract.)

You may not like writing. I do it because I can and it's fast, it used to help get me in the frame of mind that I could actually do something outside the daily cubicle, and was able to see what other people are doing on the web to make bank.

A year or so ago, I wrote an ebook that was only 12,000 words and published it on Kindle - I made $1000 a month for 2 months in a row, until it slowed down, but it cost me zero, and I still get a couple hundred a month with no marketing. I've written a lot more since then. BTW Amazon pays 60 days out so it wasn't immediate cash, but nice to get all the same. (I had the word "get rich" in the title, which sells pretty good I guess :) Not fastlane but it was a start. Someone on here is posting right now about how they publish their stuff on Amazon.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I'd probably spend $35-50 or so plus $20 on ebay and get an older version of Dragon Naturally Speaking and a headset/mike to use with the laptop then you don't have to write the old way

I went through some of my old computer stuff I had tucked away in my grandmothers basement, I found an old copy of "DNS". I haven't used the software since 03' or 04'. I'm trying to load it onto a computer right now.

What I would do, is sell the kindle and the $100 gift card.

I really appreciate the advice, but kindle books are much cheaper then most hard covers. And they are also less cumbersome to lug around. I need to do a lot of learning. I figure I can find alot of how to's for the kindle.

You may not like writing. I do it because I can and it's fast, it used to help get me in the frame of mind that I could actually do something outside the daily cubicle, and was able to see what other people are doing on the web to make bank.

I absolutely despise writing. but more and more in the part few days I realize it may ultimately be a means to an end.

I guess my current plan is to learn as much as possible about writing/publishing/marketing novels, write, publish, market, repeat. then when i perfect my system I will write and publish my own how to.

I also have a few ideas that came to me this morning. I think I may have stumbled upon a way to crowd source my living expenses while I write.

With the majority of people in society being sidewalkers. I understand there is a need to escape reality. The market for novels is saturated with very good authors. I may never be the best author or even close. But i think I can deliver with the best of them.

elclandestino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 17, 2013
there is a lot more about writing than novels

sidewalk as a temporary state of affairs is not a big deal. sidewalk as a mindset, that's what really sucks

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
there is a lot more about writing than novels

I know this, but there is huge money in the category fiction market. More and more young adults are escaping through reading fiction.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
I know this, but there is huge money in the category fiction market. More and more young adults are escaping through reading fiction.

An outlier and maybe not your cup of tea but Fifty Shades of Gray author made $80,000 PER DAY between March and December of 2012. Her net earnings were reduced significantly by her publishing deal but the point is that there's plenty of opportunity in what would seem to be a "saturated market".

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
An outlier and maybe not your cup of tea but Fifty Shades of Gray author made $80,000 PER DAY between March and December of 2012. Her net earnings were reduced significantly by her publishing deal but the point is that there's plenty of opportunity in what would seem to be a "saturated market".

Hey,

I'm actually not a bad erotic story teller. I recently developed an erotic hypnosis recording for my girlfriend. I think hypnotism and good writing go hand and hand. A good writer will put you in a trance like state. mastering hypnosis is probably something that will help me a lot.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

Besides you ignoring my initial post, I would compare writing fiction to playing a professional sport. You should begin playing the sport because you love it, strive to become pro, but accept that only few people make it. When you get into the business / consumer "need" portion, I would consider imagination and entertainment more of a "want" than a need. Wants almost always come secondary in personal finances.

To get real honest, I was asking you what your plans are because it sounds like you're a complete bum looking for a hand out and get rich quick schemes. From your further posts... you are haha. The thing is, nearly everyone has a sob story. If you face that sob story with dedication and passion, you persevere as a strong, successful individual. The majority of people though will look at their sob story as personal bad luck and mis-fortune, they'll never take responsibility for their faults that got them there, and will continue buying lottery tickets and writing for money in hopes of striking it rich some day. That is NOT a fastlane formula.

I hope you consider this post more...

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
indeed. while reading fiction is sidewalk, writing it could be the true fastlane

I beg to differ;

reading anything that doesn't teach you something in life is detrimental, yes, but the best lessons I've gotten were by reading fiction.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I learned quite a bit reading

I highly recommend aspiring writers to look at Dr. Seuss. He is a great fastlane success story. Old school? Yeah but still very relevant today.

I just graduated college and I received "Oh, the place you will go!" by Dr. Seuss as a gift. Childrens book? Yeah but just because the message is simple and its full of cartoons doesn't mean its not relevant to adults.

"Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed. (98¾% guaranteed.)"
"Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind."

I love how the book talks about "The Waiting Place" where everyone sits there and waits for things to happen.

Also check out : V Is for Vulnerable: Life Outside the Comfort Zone: Seth Godin, Hugh MacLeod: 9781591846109: Amazon.com: Books

This book has really helped me in life believe it or not.

Its a simple book with a simple message and with cartoons yet very powerful.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Everyone has a story.

It's up to you to pick up that pen and fill those blank pages.

It all starts with "Once Upon A Time..." and ends with "The End".

However, ask yourself: will it be a story that makes an impact on peoples' lives?

Example: Christopher Reeves, a man that can no longer make a single body movement at all, still finished that story with a bang.

Reason? He never gave up.

How will you fill your pages? Think about that.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Besides you ignoring my initial post

I'm not that great at following threads. I got carried away with how fast the forum seemed to respond.

To get real honest, I was asking you what your plans are because it sounds like you're a complete bum looking for a hand out and get rich quick schemes. From your further posts... you are haha.

I would love to see how you came up with your analysis that I am a complete bum looking for a hand out. Please do break it down for me. I will not lie, I've tried my hand at more schemes than I'd care to admit. If I would have invested half the money I wasted on 2am infomercials, I'd probably have at least an associates degree from a community college.

its funny you call me a bum, then try an offer me an anecdote about the majority of people.
No one ever takes advice from someone who starts out bashing them. a piece of advice for you...... if you ever want to bash someone without offending that person. spend a good bit of time using flattery.

I'm really interested in how you came up with your conclusion. Now herein any response you may have for me (that doesn't involve your break down utilizing quotes of my post.), will definitely go unread and and completely ignored by me.

elclandestino

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 17, 2013
reading fiction is neither slownale/sidewalk nor fastlane. it actually depends on fiction you read

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Honestly, I think you're disability check will always be bigger than anything you could probably create in fiction, unless you're solving a ton of needs or it's a fluke which is even rarer. I don't want to be a dream squashier either, but it is what it is, and the fiction market is very hard to crack into...

I say for most people, it's a waste of time, unless you're passionate about this or you're onto something that would sale... since it's so hit or miss.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I'm not that great at following threads. I got carried away with how fast the forum seemed to respond.
It's because a lot of us honestly do care about your success. If we didn't, we wouldn't take the time to respond.

I would love to see how you came up with your analysis that I am a complete bum looking for a hand out. Please do break it down for me. I will not lie, I've tried my hand at more schemes than I'd care to admit. If I would have invested half the money I wasted on 2am infomercials, I'd probably have at least an associates degree from a community college.
You stated you're not of the entitlement background, but everything else pointed to that you are. The original post went like complain, complain, complain, feel bad for me, complain, I want money. I use the phrase "I want money" because you didn't state a clear defined path of what you were going to do to get yourself out of your rut, just that you wanted a better life. Wanting it isn't gonna make it happen bud.

Seeing you brainstorm money making schemes with the other members showed me the characteristics of a lottt of guys I know. They're not going after a need, they're going after wants, and they're not doing it to provide value, they're doing it for the sole purpose of themselves. Ironically if they removed themselves from the equation, they'd be getting everything they want in the end haha.

a piece of advice for you...... if you ever want to bash someone without offending that person. spend a good bit of time using flattery.
I've read how to win friends and influence people haha, I also know that you ignored my thoughtful response, had plenty to complain about, and didn't even have a call to action. Truth is a hard pill to swallow.

I'll also note, that I packed my two previous posts with a ton of valuable information to help you get on your feet and get you started in business. Clearly it went in one ear and out the other, as you chose not to address any of what I said. If you really think me casually calling you a bum is harsh, how would you handle receiving a 1 star review for you product on a website laced with profanity? How will you handle client rejections and the necessary cost of failure to reach success? If the freakout over the word "bum" is any indication, not well. Business and entrepreneurship are harsh worlds which take strength and determination. I've been called much worse things by my personal mentor, but the wisdom that sprinkles down in the cracks (kinda like the wisdom I passed on to you) I chose to take. I hope you do the same.

Now herein any response you may have for me (that doesn't involve your break down utilizing quotes of my post.), will definitely go unread and and completely ignored by me.
I'm completely heartbroken as I sit on piles of cash living the life you stated you want. That's not my loss man.

Goodluck. :)

angelique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 9, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
I highly recommend aspiring writers to look at Dr. Seuss. He is a great fastlane success story. Old school? Yeah but still very relevant today.

I just graduated college and I received "Oh, the place you will go!" by Dr. Seuss as a gift. Childrens book? Yeah but just because the message is simple and its full of cartoons doesn't mean its not relevant to adults.

"Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed. (98¾% guaranteed.)"
"Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind."

I love how the book talks about "The Waiting Place" where everyone sits there and waits for things to happen.

Also check out : V Is for Vulnerable: Life Outside the Comfort Zone: Seth Godin, Hugh MacLeod: 9781591846109: Amazon.com: Books

This book has really helped me in life believe it or not.

Its a simple book with a simple message and with cartoons yet very powerful.

So true. There can be so much substance in a handful of words. For me, it was and is The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I just graduated college and I received "Oh, the place you will go!" by Dr. Seuss as a gift. Children’s book? Yeah but just because the message is simple and it’s full of cartoons doesn't mean it’s not relevant to adults.

Thanks,
I watched the video for that book on YouTube last night. I can’t find anything but truth in that story.

I would highly recommend The Deep Blue Good-by: John D. MacDonald: 9780449223833: Amazon.com: Books fiction books. Look at the quotes by other authors on him.

I’ll be checking it out if I can find in a public library, if not I’ll put it on my wish list.

Honestly, I think you're disability check will always be bigger than anything you could probably create in fiction, unless you're solving a ton of needs or it's a fluke which is even rarer. I don't want to be a dream squashier either, but it is what it is, and the fiction market is very hard to crack into...
I say for most people, it's a waste of time, unless you're passionate about this or you're onto something that would sale... since it's so hit or miss.

Although I’m no expert on writing success, what you have said may have been true in the past. In the past few days I have read fiction manuals by 3 of my all time favorite authors that confirm what you’ve said. The manuals were written in the mid 70s to mid ‘80s. Back then snail mail, news print, TV, and radio were the only means of rapid dissemination. If you couldn’t afford or be lucky enough be on those roads your appealing book could have sat on the shelf for ages maybe picking up steam years and years later. That’s a huge maybe I don’t think will factor into my success.

I believe those times have changed. I think a system can be created to successful write and publish books that appeal to and reach the masses. With the internet being what it is today, a systematic approach warrants success. I can build a system, and if it doesn’t work move on to create a new one. Feedback from testing markets is real time now. Hit or miss is not a problem so much as taking massive action.

You stated you're not of the entitlement background, but everything else pointed to that you are.

It’s funny that you say that. I started working at age 10. I worked under the table at a paper factory till I was 16 (The Company went under). I have constantly alternated work and collecting disability. It goes a little something like this. I work for 6 months, hurt myself, lay in bed for 3, finally cave in once my resources are depleted and collect disability for 2 or 3 months. The whole time I am in bed I’m eligible for disability but I burn through my savings first. Then when I’m in so much pain and know I cannot work until the pain subsides a little bit I finally go to the local ss office and I get back on it. This has been the constant cycle of my life since I was 18. I am in no way shape or form feeling entitled to any form of public assistance. I am strongly embarrassed as a human to live off of another’s dime.

9 out of every 10 doctors I’ve seen have told me to stay of my feet. T7 – T8-T9 are extremely disfigured (blown out) in my spine. T8 is so bad that it has become a wedge surrounded by bone fragments. It is so bad I am constantly hunched over. I’ve even had several expert opinions state that the wedge could shoot forward at anytime and sever the nerves that control all bodily function mid rib and below.

I’m not giving you any of this background info so any one will feel sorry for me. What the F*ck does sympathy afford me?

I want to F*cking learn and do something for myself. You have a completely twisted view of me and my personality. And I’m willing to admit maybe it is my own fault. I just can’t see it. I only posted 2 posts complaining. One was my introduction, it really wasn’t complaining as much as stating where I am at so I have a record. And one was this thread. Again I was just saying were I am currently in life. I was also stating what tools I had. Maybe in a few years I could point people who are having similar problems as I once had and give them hope.

Seeing you brainstorm money making schemes with the other members showed me the characteristics of a lot of guys I know. They're not going after a need, they're going after wants, and they're not doing it to provide value, they're doing it for the sole purpose of themselves. Ironically if they removed themselves from the equation, they'd be getting everything they want in the end haha.

This is so off I don’t even know where to begin. The majority of posts I have made have been geared towards self improvement. Almost all the rest involve writing.

I've read how to win friends and influence people haha, I also know that you ignored my thoughtful response, had plenty to complain about, and didn't even have a call to action. Truth is a hard pill to swallow.

Just because I didn’t respond you assume I didn’t read it and ignored it. It seems to me that this pissed you off a bit and you are solely basing your opinion of me on my first post and “ignoring youâ€. I did read your post; I did not ignore your advice. And I was inspired by it. My last six months in Miami I was a “savvy†night club promoter myself. I had guest lists at liv, mokai, set, dream, mansion and club 50 downtown. I penetrated more social circles in 6 months than most will ever their whole life. In 6 months I went from penny less to renting a condo 2 blocks west of ocean, 3 blocks south of Lincoln. The only hand out I ever received was my first week in Florida I got some canned goods and a loaf of bread from a food bank in Davie Florida. If my disability wouldn’t have taken another turn for the worse, I’d be chilling at the Clevelander on ocean drive giving orders to my 4 street teams.

I'm completely heartbroken as I sit on piles of cash living the life you stated you want. That's not my loss man.
Goodluck.

I’m glad you have experienced success. And I truly thank you for the fuel you have added to my flame. This is probably the longest response to anything I have ever typed. It would have been much longer but I received a call from a local celebrity’s mistress who wants me to help her write her story. This demands massive action because she only has a few months to live.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I’m glad you have experienced success. And I truly thank you for the fuel you have added to my flame. This is probably the longest response to anything I have ever typed.

Good! I wish you goodluck.

Ah shit I'd type more but Will Ferrel's calling... I'll brb.

editting this in... For real though, I had a Skype call, but I'm glad I set a fire in you. Remember, I wouldn't have taken this valuable time out of my day to share my experiences with you if I truly and honestly wished ill upon you, it's all with good intention.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

#STOLEN

OMG, I'm stealing this. FN legendary.

mimedia

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jun 25, 2013
This really isn't a great topic for a first post, but I was reading this thread and couldn't help wondering:

My last six months in Miami I was a “savvy†night club promoter myself. I had guest lists at liv, mokai, set, dream, mansion and club 50 downtown. I penetrated more social circles in 6 months than most will ever their whole life. In 6 months I went from penny less to renting a condo 2 blocks west of ocean, 3 blocks south of Lincoln. The only hand out I ever received was my first week in Florida I got some canned goods and a loaf of bread from a food bank in Davie Florida.

1. Why would you bring up having guest list access at expensive clubs, "penetrating" more social circles than most will in a lifetime, and renting overpriced "almost beachfront" property just 6 months after you were so broke you couldn't buy bread, as if those were important accomplishments? If you really are getting up off the sidewalk, why glorify a classic sidewalk mentality?

If my disability wouldn’t have taken another turn for the worse, I’d be chilling at the Clevelander on ocean drive giving orders to my 4 street teams.

2. Sounds like you've had some tough obstacles to overcome in life, but someone had to ask: what happens to your current plan when your disability takes another turn for the worse? A couple years from now, what's stopping you from telling people: "I would be a best selling, multi-millionaire author with millions of fans by now if my disability didn't take a turn for the worse again"?

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
what happens to your current plan when your disability takes another turn for the worse? A couple years from now, what's stopping you from telling people: "I would be a best selling, multi-millionaire author with millions of fans by now if my disability didn't take a turn for the worse again"?

From my first blog post on this site:
Writing is something I can do. No doctor could ever tell me “I’m sorry sir, but you will never be able to write again”. If he could do that I wouldn’t understand it anyway, I’d have to be some kind of vegetable.

Knowing the fact that there is no excuse, that is whats stopping me.

If you really are getting up off the sidewalk, why glorify a classic sidewalk mentality?

Actually I would consider that a slow lane mentality. 30 more days at the company and I had an option for 401k. at that point in time I had a solid plan. it was concrete but without re-bar. I'm not saying I would be rich had I my disability not effected my life in Miami, I'd actually say I would have been stuck in the slowlane. So in an ironic way, maybe it was good that I didn't stay on that track.

D

DeletedUser19

If you like writing that much (or you are forced to), you can do what the writer Hunter S. Thompson did. He copied (typed it manually) "The Great Gatsby" word for word, 2 times, because he wanted to know how it felt like to write that masterpiece. He also did that with Ernest Hemingway's "Farewell to Arms" and he did that in order to learn about the writing styles of the authors. I really don't know how much that helped him, but it sure will help you a lot. It will make you 5 times the writer you are now. And it doesn't have to be those two, pick any classic.

And about dknise (or any other successful entrepreneur) calling you a bum...well. If a person that completed the journey I want to begin told me something like that, instead of being insulted like you were, I would get motivated. And I will ask him what am I doing wrong and how to improve, because I know he wants to help me.

mimedia

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jun 25, 2013
Actually I would consider that a slow lane mentality. 30 more days at the company and I had an option for 401k. at that point in time I had a solid plan. it was concrete but without re-bar. I'm not saying I would be rich had I my disability not effected my life in Miami, I'd actually say I would have been stuck in the slowlane. So in an ironic way, maybe it was good that I didn't stay on that track.

"Penetrating" more social circles than most will in a lifetime - would a slowlaner really consider this an accomplishment?

"Guest list access to X or Y club ". Again, would a slowlaner really brag about this like it was an important life accomplishment?

In 6 months I went from penny less to renting a condo 2 blocks west of ocean, 3 blocks south of Lincoln.
I have no idea where that is, but it sounds expensive for someone who couldn't afford bread and canned soup just 6 months ago. Would the slowlaner outlined in TMF (the type of person who cuts back on Starbucks to save for retirement) really do this?

Not trying to attack you or anything, I read the initial post and kinda felt like I was rooting for you. Maybe you were just reacting defensively to a perceived attack, but I just thought it was strange that in a post about getting off the sidewalk, your reaction to criticism (albeit harsh) was to bring up "sidewalk" accomplishments.

In either case, I wish you the best.

S

stranger

My girlfriend and I have a 2 bedroom apartment in a shitty part of town. I collect SSI due to a disability that haunts me right now as I type. The pain stops me from doing a lot of physical activities but it doesn’t keep my brain from functioning.

My girlfriend is working a dead end job. She works to pay back a subsidized school loan she defaulted on without even finishing her course. She bought a car on credit just before I met her. She is paycheck to paycheck just to have the car and pay the student loans. If it wasn’t for me she would be with her mom (her mom is a psycho, don’t tell her I told you).

I get a $700 check from the government. This pays my rent and leaves me with $250 for utilities and amenities.
I’m not with an entitlement attitude when it comes to receiving a government benefit. It just makes me feel shitty about myself.

I forgot to mention I get $200 in food stamps per month. It’s now the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] and there is only $50 left on the card. The card will be loaded on the[SUP] 3rd[/SUP] of July. Food is running low so I’m scouting for a food bank.

Lets see how fast I can get in the car, get in gear and hit the accelerator.

Hi man,
I've been in this boat my whole bloody life. I hate speaking about my problems online. I get around $120 in the local currency from the government. This only pays my foods. I had borrowed the money from my friend to purchase my 1st computer - Pentium 2 in 2000. It took 2 months of my life before I could earn my 1st grand of bucks that was the easy money and I was young. I started to make easy money and spent it fast and easy too. Probably, that was my biggest mistake. Now, I'm almost there where i started; no reached my goals, no money and not feel happy. Yeah, I don't have debts, I run a small online store, but i'm not there where i wanted to be. When you start making your money online, just don't spend every dollar on daily stuff; thinking of your future. Sorry if my advice sounds stupidly for you. Just my 2 cents.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.