The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The beginning of my real journey. Here I am (story of a sales people).

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Hi folks,

I guess it's time for me to jump in the arena and introduce myself.

Vincent here, I'm 29yo and I live in France near Paris
. Got my MSc. in Biochemistry after 5 years at uni and since then I'm working into a very big company (100k employees over the world) as a sales rep.

I use my scientific expertise to help scientists (hospitals, biotechs, etc.) to reach their goals. I have been promoted 2 years ago as the responsible of a specific application. This mean I am fully in charge of this business in western Europe (supporting non-expert local sales rep, providing instrument demos, attending exhibitions, managing 100k€ deals, etc.).

I have learnt a lot from this position (basically I had no sales experience at all before that) and I do like the "freedom" my company gives me to fullfil my target. For example I was able to choose my company car, I took a nice BMW and I'm using it every day (I do 3000kms per week in average). To be honest this is the best part of the job, just cruising in my car across several countries... I love driving.

However I feel more and more uncomfortable with this job. I consider it's underpaid (got 45k€ per year for sometimes 60-70h of work per week) and I don't see any opportunity of evolution (becoming a manager? ugh, doing 20 remote meetings per day to decide on stupid details is not my jam). I'm so frustrated to not control the processes of my work.

I receive 2-3 job proposals per week from similar companies that want me, for sure the wage is better (usually 65-90k€) but it appears less and less interesting to me because it will be the same pro and cons.

I have heard about the Fastlane Milionnaire on some financial forum (I invest and save all the money I can for sure) and decided to get the book for Christmas. Reading it was the first thing I did in 2023 and I got a big slap in the face. Of course I recognized myself as a slowlane driver and this changed my mind forever. As I like cars, I really enjoyed that MJ took cars as an example during all the book. I'm not really a big fan of Lambos, but getting one those high-end BMWs is one of my personal goals.

So here I am. I already ordered a couple of books (incl. Unscripted and Escape the Rat Race + skills books for website building, marketing, etc.) and also some online courses. I feel lucky because I already have an useful skillset from my current job which allows me to build relationship with customers, find leads, etc. I just want to use it for me rather than for someone else.

Currently I'm also into getting a clear idea of what I want to do. I know ideas are pawns and processes are kings but how to start if you don't have determined what to do at some point? As I'm really into cars I was thinking about something related to it but this looks to require lots of money as an initial investment. Or maybe something unrelated to renting? Otherwise I really enjoyed the thread about "unsexy businesses" I found here and I brainstorming on that too. I'm working on developing something in parallel of my job, and leave it when it's time.

I met my girlfriend at work and we are together since 3 years now (we plan to get married soon). She is also bored from the job and I know I can count on her support + she's working at customer care, could be a nice combo with me for sure.

One quote I will never forget from the book is "Better to regret your failures than to regret not having tried.". That one blew my mind.

Happy to discuss with you here, I look forward to learn from you. I will post here some updates when it's time.

Apologies in advance for my english, despite I did a lot of progress it's not my native language. Hope it's not too painful to read. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard. I always say that if you can succeed at a Slowlane, you can succeed at a Fastlane.

I find both paths equally as difficult, just one yields mediocrity, the other, wealth and total financial freedom.

Apologies in advance for my english, despite I did a lot of progress it's not my native language.

It's is great, better than some who have English as a first.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Thanks MJ.

I spent yesterday evening to brainstorm on my roadmap, I got the fact I need to MOVE in order to stay alive.

Did a 1/5/10 exercise (good tip):
- In 10 years:
5M€ net worth, > 250k€/month of passive income, house of my dreams, and that damn BMW 8 Series
- In 5 years: 1-2M€ net worth, 75k€/month of passive income, great house, and maybe already a nice BMW 4 Series
- In 1 year: 150k-200k€ net worth, 7-10k€/month of passive income, trading my beloved BMW 3 Series company car (this hurts haha) for a simple and cheap sedan that will do the job, because I will have LEFT my current job.

Too ambitious? I have read this thread GOLD! - Think Big, and Then Think Bigger Than That. and I don't think so.

Good news, I already have 100k€ in saving with almost 4 years of slowlane (which is a lot if you consider I started at 33k€ -before taxes- per year). This could be useful to grew my business if I do something which needs investment.

Goals for the week to go:

- Starting to learn how to build a website. Got a nice promo for online courses on Udemy, I bought 2 courses about learning WordPress which I consider will make me save time instead of learning coding from scratch. I consider every business needs a website to get visibility, no matter it's mostly online business or not.

- Keep brainstorming about my business. I had a couple of ideas about potential businesses. Managing small companies' cars which generally don't put much time/money to deal with it / Providing a portfolio of services (coffee resupply, fruits basket every week, online shop, etc.) to improve the employees quality of life in small companies. Those two idead don't fullfil the CENTS requirements. I swear I will find it.

- I received some other books (Unscripted / The Great Rat Race Escape / various books to develop my skills in marketing, copywriting, etc.). I gonna keep reading a bit every evening in parallel.

- Keeping up with the tasks from my slowlane job for the moment...

I think I will use this thread to track my progression.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Thanks MJ.

I spent yesterday evening to brainstorm on my roadmap, I got the fact I need to MOVE in order to stay alive.

Did a 1/5/10 exercise (good tip):
- In 10 years:
5M€ net worth, > 250k€/month of passive income, house of my dreams, and that damn BMW 8 Series
- In 5 years: 1-2M€ net worth, 75k€/month of passive income, great house, and maybe already a nice BMW 4 Series
- In 1 year: 150k-200k€ net worth, 7-10k€/month of passive income, trading my beloved BMW 3 Series company car (this hurts haha) for a simple and cheap sedan that will do the job, because I will have LEFT my current job.

Too ambitious? I have read this thread GOLD! - Think Big, and Then Think Bigger Than That. and I don't think so.

Good news, I already have 100k€ in saving with almost 4 years of slowlane (which is a lot if you consider I started at 33k€ -before taxes- per year). This could be useful to grew my business if I do something which needs investment.

Goals for the week to go:

- Starting to learn how to build a website. Got a nice promo for online courses on Udemy, I bought 2 courses about learning WordPress which I consider will make me save time instead of learning coding from scratch. I consider every business needs a website to get visibility, no matter it's mostly online business or not.

- Keep brainstorming about my business. I had a couple of ideas about potential businesses. Managing small companies' cars which generally don't put much time/money to deal with it / Providing a portfolio of services (coffee resupply, fruits basket every week, online shop, etc.) to improve the employees quality of life in small companies. Those two idead don't fullfil the CENTS requirements. I swear I will find it.

- I received some other books (Unscripted / The Great Rat Race Escape / various books to develop my skills in marketing, copywriting, etc.). I gonna keep reading a bit every evening in parallel.

- Keeping up with the tasks from my slowlane job for the moment...

I think I will use this thread to track my progression.
You can use a drag and drop plugin for WordPress which will make it a lot easier. I used one and didn't have to watch any courses

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jfirefly556

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Nov 16, 2022
Welcome brother, its so cool to see others perspective on the book and how i can relate to it as well! and i love the " "Better to regret your failures than to regret not having tried.". i have that mindset stuck!
good luck and may you find your path!

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Thank you guys, looking forward to learn from you too.

For WordPress indeed there seems to be plenty of useful plugins for easy site building, ecommerce features, SEO, etc. What was taking several months/years can now be mastered in a couple of weeks. I like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...