The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Small introduction on myself

tpatenaude

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2024
Greetings everyone!

My name is Thomas, I'm 21 years old (soon 22), I live in Canada, and I study Computer Science. Around this summer, I realized that I found time flew by too quickly, and wanted to make a change in my life, instead of just being sucked into a routine: It seems like when you're a kid, you have all the time in the world, but as you grow up, time seems to fly so quickly! Anyways, I started making do small changes: began reading self-improvement books, wanted to lift everyday, learned how to type on a computer properly, express gratitude everyday etc. (I have read books that are quite popular in the self-improvement genre like Atomic Habits, 48 Laws Of Power, A Random Walk Down Wall Street, and the infamous Think and Grow Rich. For the latter book, I do feel like it has some useful content, but as I learned about the author, I did sort of disassociate from it.

I was first introduced to the idea of the Fastlane through the incredible video of James Jani, on YouTube. I bought it last week, and I just finished it today. And I really appreciated the read! The one stick that really struck me, was when the MJ talked about the Slowlane, and the faulty idea of "hope". Related to my education, I chose Computer Science as I enjoy Math, Programming, puzzles etc. I also chose this major as it was deemed by "a lot of people" to be a very safe major. I even saw of posts circa 2020 of people making 100k+ salaries while only working 10-15 hour weeks. For a very anxious guy, I thought this was perfect! But we see today that although Tech is still a booming field, there are a lot of layoffs and the Entry Level jobs are quite competitive now (Although the case is true for all sorts of white-collar jobs, not just Computer Science).

When some people see some other people with XYZ that is expensive/see someone that is rich, the reactions vary but usually they feel some envy, jealousy, anger etc. In my case, I always feel nervous, because in my mind I automatically result to "if that person can do it, why aren't you doing too?" But by reading the book, I understand now that most people just see the result and don't see the hard work.

Anyways, maybe this wasn't so much of a "short" introduction, but I'm eager to see the forums' posts!

Thanks for reading,

Thomas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
If you like CS, math, puzzles etc. this probably means you are a great problem solver. Every technical problem in business is a small puzzle and usually you need a lot of tenacity to explore several possible solutions before you find one that is good enough. Just avoid perfectionism and the comfort/safety of familiarity when thinking of these solutions.

tpatenaude

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 14, 2024
If you like CS, math, puzzles etc. this probably means you are a great problem solver. Every technical problem in business is a small puzzle and usually you need a lot of tenacity to explore several possible solutions before you find one that is good enough. Just avoid perfectionism and the comfort/safety of familiarity when thinking of these solutions.
Thank you for the reply! I will take that into consideration.

As for problem solving, I know I'm not the best but improve everyday.

You're definitely right about perfectionism!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...