The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Small domain names

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I started researching some domain names for a project I'm about to begin. Of course, the actual name that I wanted was taken, but I found a 5-letter and even a 4-letter domain name available that match my project name's acronym perfectly. My question to those more knowledgeable in the area of internet marketing is should I go with the shorter domain name even though it's an acronym for my product, or should I go for something longer, but more meaningful, even if it means abandoning my current name? I haven't done anything yet as far as the project goes, so changing my name won't hurt me.

Here is an example (not my actual project) ...

Project's Name: Pet Groomers for Hire

Now, petgroomersforhire.com is already taken as is hirepetgroomers.com, petgroomers4hire.com, and some other variations on the name. However, I find that ppgfh.com (maybe Professional Pet Groomers for Hire?) is available, and, even better, pg4h.com is available.

Probably not the best of examples, but hopefully it gets my message across.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NICK870123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Aug 1, 2008
England
Id say that a number in the domain name would discourage customers.

even 6 letter domain names are alright. You could try combining two short words for the domain name.
If you could find a 4 letter domain name without numbers than it would be a good investment for your business. It would certainly add value to it as well.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Hireapetgroomer.com is available. :)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Errrr.... while short is good, I don't think I'd move toward ppgfh.com or something of the like.

Not easy to remember or for a re-type.

I'm with Peter, there's combo's available I'm sure. You could give Psychic Whois a shot if you're having an off day, creative wise. It's not innovative per say, but there's been many times when seeing another word behind my main phrase has lead to some good combo's.

FocusThat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 13, 2008
hong kong
well grab something is easy to remember not too long
2-3 words will be the maximum and also
try to get some keywords on your domain for SEO purposes
that is keywords that you want the search engine able to look for
your site. so e.g your site is about rebrandable software then
your domain name should be rebrandable-software.com, rebrandableSoftware.com, etc...

hopes that help

bizboy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Dec 25, 2007
Florida
for.........Pet Groomers for Hire
I would not pick pg4h.com because there is a number, Americans don't like to type numbers for a site name but Asian countries don't mind.

My first picks would be GroomList.com or GroomNow.com but both are taken, so I found TRUEGROOM.COM which is available as I type.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Thanks everyone. Just the kind of feedback I was hoping to get!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.