The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Silver, the Poor Man's Gold

Anything related to investing, including crypto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
We talk a lot around here about investing in Silver ... my silver investment has probably been my best ROI this year.

Here is a great article about it:

Poor man's gold may be an investor's treasure Commodities Corner - MarketWatch

Offers two viewpoints ... one it will go up, the other, it won't.

Enjoy.

“ Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
One of my co-workers invests in both gold and silver and he was mentioning to me the other day how well silver was performing for him.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
One thing about silver is it fluctuates greatly. That said it has far more uses then gold, its actually rarer atm then gold (1 billion oz to 5 billions oz) its hard to recover once used, its currently holding a 63:1 ratio to gold. For that last 5000 years it has been 20:1. China has allowed its citizens to own commodities now. Yeah, I'd say there is strong reason to own silver. I do.

Loup_Noir

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 12, 2009
Glendale, Az
What a coincidence; I just bought 10 kilo worth of bullion of silver from ebay yesterday, and I was thinking about making a trip to bullion & coin in mesa,az today to pick up some more..........

I just ended up buying some Scottsdale stackers from Scottsdale silver for roughly $2000 for every 100oz

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well I sold the last of my silver holdings today -- had to take profits. Now I will wait for a pullback and get more. Anyone watching GOLD? I've been waiting for that to pullback too, but these metals keep going up up up ... Gold now at $1,210 an ounce and it's being fueled by all the printing of money not just here in the US, but abroad.

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Nice trade on silver Phx. To be honest with ya I have had the craving to short some gold for the last few days but have not seen a opportunity yet. Might take a poke at it if we break the previous days low or maybe my inner contrarian is just getting to me.

joeybags73

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2009
Hi All,
I think that in today's market you can't go wrong with buying silver, gold, or any of the other traded metals, although Rhodium and Palladium are becoming cost prohibitive for some. If you've got the cash you should be buying at least some silver and gold. If you can't afford the gold get the silver. Silver is underpriced relative to gold and, as of late, has been increasing rapidly with larger daily price movements. I think its working on coming more in line with the price of gold. I was sick of putting my money into my 401K and not being able to get access to it, so I decided to stop contributing and start buying gold and silver. Turns out it was a great idea. It's the only real money. Stocks can go to $0, but metals can't. After hearing a recent projection that gold will be going to $2,600 by the end of 2010 my mouth started to water. So buying now at $1,220, while costly, may return you a nice 100% profit by Christmas time next year. Make your mother proud!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
“ Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.

I like that MJ - Who said it :huh2:??

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida

I like that MJ - Who said it :huh2:??

"Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." Money and Wealth in the New Millennium, by Norm Franz, copyright © 2001, Whitestonepress, page 154.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Gold just hit $1225 a few minutes ago, another high.

Personally I like gold because I can buy little of it and not worry about storing it. Some of my first silver purchases I had plastic tubes of eagles, buffaloes, and maples laying all over the house. My wife thought I was weird. Gold I can buy 1oz coins and store all of my investment in a safe.

But after just mentioning that, I have about the same amount of worth in silver as I do in gold even though I have tons more silver. I sure wish silver would make a nice move upward. I think I am going to hold all my silver until it hits about $30 and then I am unloading.

Here is my gold stash NOT! LOL

gold_coins_2.jpg

joeybags73

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 17, 2009
For those who hold both gold and silver....In what ratios are your ounces of both? I have both gold and silver and my silver-to-gold ounce ratio is about 20-to-1. Is there an optimal ratio to hold? I just have more silver because I can afford more of it and expect it's % increase to far exceed that of gold as silver starts to approach gold's price at a more historical ratio.

Thanks

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I think the "historical" silver to gold ratio may be a bit flawed.

Silver has had a lot of industrial uses and these contribute to its value. However, some of those industrial uses have been replaced by newer technologies.

For example silver used to play a key role in photographic film and printing paper, but now everything is digital, so this demand has evaporated.

Just a heads up when using historical evaluations, that they only apply or are relevant if the primary forces driving the market are remaining constant. For gold I believe it is primarily true, but for silver... not so much.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
This is my gold stash of chocolate

gold_coins_2.jpg
[/quote]

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I think the "historical" silver to gold ratio may be a bit flawed.

Silver has had a lot of industrial uses and these contribute to its value. However, some of those industrial uses have been replaced by newer technologies.

For example silver used to play a key role in photographic film and printing paper, but now everything is digital, so this demand has evaporated.

Just a heads up when using historical evaluations, that they only apply or are relevant if the primary forces driving the market are remaining constant. For gold I believe it is primarily true, but for silver... not so much.

This is true, but silver has increasingly new uses. Silver oxide battery, health uses, nano technology where it cannot be easily recovered, and solar energy. While yes many uses get replaced, its molecular properties keep it at the front of technology in many cases.

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Damn these westcoast hours saw the jobs news at 6 am but rolled over and went back to sleep. Looks like I will not be shorting gold right away but the volume on this move in the ETN 'GLD" looks promising for at least a more sutained pull back. Should of just put a stop in under $118 but live and learn. MJ your timeing on your silver sale is looking like perfection at the moment.

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
Impressive how a crowded trade can turn Gold keeps falling. Uninpressive how I saw it coming and missed it at the same time. Silver is holding up a little better but then it never got as much of a pump behind it as gold did the last month.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well I sold the last of my silver holdings today -- had to take profits.

I'm a sage! :smxG: Silver has dropped 8% since I sold just a few days ago!

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
Nice One MJ !!

I was just thinking the other day; wow MJ sold at the right time ...

:hurray:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nice One MJ !!

I was just thinking the other day; wow MJ sold at the right time ...

:hurray:

If it keeps going lower, I might be buying again.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
When posting a sell point, does it not matter what you put the money into instead?

Silver closed at 18.05 Dec 5th. Today it closed up from there, up 2% on the day, closing at 18.57.

I noticed nobody posted their buy points in the last 5 weeks in the 16's or 17's. Hence, those positions are flat at best

So, other than pay transactions on both sides of the trade, what was gained?

Silver is for transaction insurance; SLV is for trading!

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
Looking to purchase some additional silver bullion if the price drops down to the 13.50 level....
What about you guys ?
Currently silver is trading around $16.58 per ounce...

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
13 dollar lever for silver will mean buying it at about 15 bucks per ounce... Not bad; in my opinion... I dont know if we will ever see the price drop to 11 bucks an ounce and purchase for 13 per ounce or so anytime soon....

Never know though...

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
13 dollar lever for silver will mean buying it at about 15 bucks per ounce... Not bad; in my opinion... I dont know if we will ever see the price drop to 11 bucks an ounce and purchase for 13 per ounce or so anytime soon....

Never know though...

but why those numbers? Why not buy it at 14 silver where you can buy it for $16? What's so magically about 13 - 15?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
$15.73 is major support and if you want to buy, this area above would be the point. If it breaks below, it will move lower. (Referencing the SLV ETF).

My own quandary, I want to buy, but I believe we are heading in a new downward trend which will be deflationary for commodities as well as the market in general.

My buy points where under 14. I sold near the 52-week high, over 19. I sold exactly at the right time.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
$15.73 is major support and if you want to buy, this area above would be the point. If it breaks below, it will move lower. (Referencing the SLV ETF).

My own quandary, I want to buy, but I believe we are heading in a new downward trend which will be deflationary for commodities as well as the market in general.

My buy points where under 14. I sold near the 52-week high, over 19. I sold exactly at the right time.

Ha, SLV dropped intra-day low to 15.70 and bounced back up. Tomorrow we will see if it breaks upside or breaks thru support.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Again, despite the rough day today that ended badly, SLV intra-day low was $15.72 as it keeps testing support -- and not breaking thru.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.