The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I use IR/401k to pay off some debts?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

hammiesink

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jul 6, 2021
I'm mid-40s, and have only about $50k or so saved in IRA/401k after believing and following slowlane principles for ten years. I mean, on the low end of retirement we probably need around 3 or 4 million, and we've saved only 1.6% of that. According to a slowlane retirement calculator, to be on track for that amount we need to save $6000 per month LOL!

After reading multiple business books and especially The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted , it seems pointless to me now. Like putting pennies in a piggy bank to retire on. And after an unfortunate 2020 I find myself with about $30k debt that I didn't have a year and a half ago. I'm supposed to be aghast at the idea of taking any of that retirement money out because of the penalty fees and taxes, but I can't help but be attracted to the idea of blowing away that debt to have a clean slate and freeing up an extra $1500 or so minimum payments per month. Ease the monthly burden, help my wife start her business and start my own.

I'd ask a financial advisor but I bet they're only going to give me slowlane advice (don't touch it! put more in! etc).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
show the math here.

keep / no penalties / earn expected return / pay debt service
vs
cash out / pay penalties / pay debt / stop debt service payments

make sure to factor in taxes and risk

math will show you this part of the answer to your question.

----------------
there is a second part. the emotional part. once you have the math in front of you it will be easier to decide the emotional part.

is debt free worth losing $xxxx? THAT you can then decide on your own.

DO THE MATH

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.