The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should i move out or not

G

Guest5289

Before I type out my situation, I'm aware that no one can make my decisions for me but I would just like to get some perspectives to help guide my decision

Also I'm 25 years old

Basically I'm living at my grandma's house, both parents are married and can't have me living there,

My grandma and her kids don't really want me living here, they give me a hard time every now and then and bang on top of me on purpose it's a 2 story house, my problem is should I just go rent a apartment I have around 10k savings which would last me around 6 months if I where to rent, however my problem is it just feels like such a waste of money to spend on rent, especially because I usually hate my jobs and so I feel if I where to go rent it's a big waste of money that I could maybe use on a downpayment in the future or something more beneficial

Basically my question is should I go rent or should I just deal with my grandma and her kids giving me a hard time, until I save enough to put a down payment on a house or enough to start a business with that capital and pay rent

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Do you currently have a job?

What impact do you think moving out would have on your productivity?

You could always rent an AirBnB apartment for 2 weeks and see how you find it.

financemailer

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Mar 31, 2022
You should take independence seriously, young man. I would leave and rent a place. It forces you to think more logically about your situation and makes you do things outside your comfort zone. You can't start your own business from your grandma's house, realistically, because you have to listen to her and abide by her rules. If you rent and get a job, and hate it, that's a motivation to get going with starting your own business. Use your situations to your advantage.

G

Guest5289

What impact do you think moving out would have on your productivity?

You could always rent an AirBnB apartment for 2 weeks and see how you
I don't have a job at the moment but I can easily get one if I move out as I no many factories that will accept me from previous roles

It would have a big impact for sure, I used to live in a studio for a year and a half and worked at a factory during that time, it's also how I found about tmf , and unscripted because I wanted a way out

I already know what living alone is like as I've been there before, I just don't like the part where it's wasted money down the drain that I can use for better purposes like a business or assets etc

G

Guest5289

You should take independence seriously, young man. I would leave and rent a place. It forces you to think more logically about your situation and makes you do things outside your comfort zone. You can't start your own business from your grandma's house, realistically, because you have to listen to her and abide by her rules. If you rent and get a job, and hate it, that's a motivation to get going with starting your own business. Use your situations to your advantage.
Hmm very true because I once lived in a studio and hated my job that's how I got the motivation to try and make it out of there and landed on mj demarcos book

I've started many business and failed nearly all, I also started some business that are basically job proxies they did ok but violate the commandment of control and entry

Last edited by a moderator:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I don't have a job at the moment but I can easily get one
This is my concern.
No job at 25? What do you do with your days? I'm thinking this has nothing to do with your family & everything to do with you. Move out (far away from family & everything familiar), get a job, get stable for yourself. Learn to care for your physical, mental & financial health. Do that for a year, minimum, then revisit your business endeavors.

ps: renting is not wasting money. Renting a home provides a space all your own, a respite, a retreat that you control. Renting is not throwing away money, it's a beneficial step for most people, myself included, before purchasing your own place. Renting is not wasting money, despite what the talking heads will tell you.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Before I type out my situation, I'm aware that no one can make my decisions for me but I would just like to get some perspectives to help guide my decision

Also I'm 25 years old

Basically I'm living at my grandma's house, both parents are married and can't have me living there,

My grandma and her kids don't really want me living here, they give me a hard time every now and then and bang on top of me on purpose it's a 2 story house, my problem is should I just go rent a apartment I have around 10k savings which would last me around 6 months if I where to rent, however my problem is it just feels like such a waste of money to spend on rent, especially because I usually hate my jobs and so I feel if I where to go rent it's a big waste of money that I could maybe use on a downpayment in the future or something more beneficial

Basically my question is should I go rent or should I just deal with my grandma and her kids giving me a hard time, until I save enough to put a down payment on a house or enough to start a business with that capital and pay rent
The problem isn't living outside vs renting I guess.

You mentioned that your grandma's kids. Aren't they your uncles and aunties related by blood?

In this world nothing is really "free". While indeed you saved your rent living with them, but you just cannot expect the landlord to accept you for "free" for long term without complaint.

Did you give them as gift, do some housework, or pay some money as goodwill?

The core issue is that you didn't have an income, besides the 10k cash net asset (which isn't a lot as you know).

When you have no money you have no budget for actions.

Human relationship is a business of informal gives and takes. You want something from others you got to give something. Learn to find their strength and sweet talk and praise them. if you can use less than 40% of the market rental and "settle them" it is probably good business.

Grab an income, even if it is part time, and then calculate "buying their friendliness" vs renting outside.

G

Guest5289

This is my concern.
No job at 25? What do you do with your days? I'm thinking this has nothing to do with your family & everything to do with you. Move out (far away from family & everything familiar), get a job, get stable for yourself. Learn to care for your physical, mental & financial health. Do that for a year, minimum, then revisit your business endeavors.
I was working actually I only stopped because i couldn't work for a while, however now I can work but I haven't been which I probably should

G

Guest5289

The problem isn't living outside vs renting I guess.

You mentioned that your grandma's kids. Aren't they your uncles and aunties related by blood?

In this world nothing is really "free". While indeed you saved your rent living with them, but you just cannot expect the landlord to accept you for "free" for long term without complaint.

Did you give them as gift, do some housework, or pay some money as goodwill?

The core issue is that you didn't have an income, besides the 10k cash net asset (which isn't a lot as you know).

When you have no money you have no budget for actions.

Human relationship is a business of informal gives and takes. You want something from others you got to give something. Learn to find their strength and sweet talk and praise them. if you can use less than 40% of the market rental and "settle them" it is probably good business.

Grab an income, even if it is part time, and then calculate "buying their friendliness" vs renting outside.
Yes they are my uncles and aunts

Yes I've given them rent every week which is $150 a week, which is cheap compared to a apartment which is around $300 a week

But this was a very helpful response and that's a good way to look at it, I'll make sure to take action to that advice

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Yes they are my uncles and aunts

Yes I've given them rent every week which is $150 a week, which is cheap compared to a apartment which is around $300 a week

But this was a very helpful response and that's a good way to look at it, I'll make sure to take action to that advice
Now I have more information.

Since you are not contributing nothing, you should find out what is their deep reason for not wanting you to be there.

If they just didn't like you not having a job, and worry about you being dependent on them, and getting a job solve the issue, then do it. Since they are our blood relatives maybe they are just worried about you on your adulting journey.

If they are greedy for more or simply difficult to get along then it is better to move out. 50% rental saving is not worth the hassle.

G

Guest5289

Now I have more information.

Since you are not contributing nothing, you should find out what is their deep reason for not wanting you to be there.

If they just didn't like you not having a job, and worry about you being dependent on them, and getting a job solve the issue, then do it. Since they are our blood relatives maybe they are just worried about you on your adulting journey.

If they are greedy for more then it is better to move out. 50% rental saving is not worth the hassle.
I think they don't want me there because since she had a big family she may want one of her kids (my uncle) to move into the room I'm currently in

Maybe, regardless I will get a job Wether I stay here or move as it's needed to move forward

Yeah I agree 100%, I'll have to ask them if they want more money and go from there

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
I'm on your same boat, OP. I dunno where you're from but where I live, on my income, I can barely make ends meet if I move out. I pay a miserable rent (and sometimes my parents don't even enforce it if they see me struggling) and I'm still penny pinching.

If I move out, I'll be paying minimum $600 in rent. That might sound good but the median income in my country is $11k, give or take. That's not counting groceries, gym memberships and gas. Was thinking of also renting an airbnb for a week as another poster pointed out to see if the $$ investment is worth it for my productivity, as things at home are pretty rough, let's just say.

G

Guest5289

I'm on your same boat, OP. I dunno where you're from but where I live, on my income, I can barely make ends meet if I move out. I pay a miserable rent (and sometimes my parents don't even enforce it if they see me struggling) and I'm still penny pinching.

If I move out, I'll be paying minimum $600 in rent. That might sound good but the median income in my country is $11k, give or take. That's not counting groceries, gym memberships and gas. Was thinking of also renting an airbnb for a week as another poster pointed out to see if the $$ investment is worth it for my productivity, as things at home are pretty rough, let's just say.
I'm from Australia, sucks to see you in that situation, your parents don't seem very supportive, very similar situation to me

That rent is really high, have you thought about house sharing its alot cheaper, but abit of a gamble with the roomates you get

Honestly it might be worth a shot, I might try it myself and see the difference

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
I'm from Australia, sucks to see you in that situation, your parents don't seem very supportive, very similar situation to me

That rent is really high, have you thought about house sharing its alot cheaper, but abit of a gamble with the roomates you get

Honestly it might be worth a shot, I might try it myself and see the difference
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna try being in a place of my own for a bit. My parents are extremely supportive, what I meant is that they don't force me to pay if they see me struggling. Things are rough at home because 1) economically, we're struggling 2) my grandpa is staying home in my room, so I basically have no room of my own, 3) Since I have to sleep somewhere else, I'm getting little sleep.

I've thought about house sharing but the people that I trust to have as roommates don't seem to want to move out yet, so I might have to room in with a stranger or someone I don't know as much

G

Guest5289

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna try being in a place of my own for a bit. My parents are extremely supportive, what I meant is that they don't force me to pay if they see me struggling. Things are rough at home because 1) economically, we're struggling 2) my grandpa is staying home in my room, so I basically have no room of my own, 3) Since I have to sleep somewhere else, I'm getting little sleep.

I've thought about house sharing but the people that I trust to have as roommates don't seem to want to move out yet, so I might have to room in with a stranger or someone I don't know as much
That's good that they are supportive, hmm that's a tough situation, have you tried asking a friend if you could live at there house temporarily

The thing with house sharing is it all depends on who you get they can either make or break the experience, so just make sure to talk to the person you decide to share with and feel comfortable enough

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
Basically my question is should I go rent or should I just deal with my grandma and her kids giving me a hard time, until I save enough to put a down payment on a house or enough to start a business with that capital and pay rent.
What is your gut telling you?

Are you ready to take the responsibilities of living alone? Old problems will quickly be replaced by new ones if you so choose to move out, keep that in mind. The novelty of saying "screw these people, I want to leave" wears off real quick when you're not thinking a few steps ahead and stumble a few months down the line because of miscalculations. Can you handle shame? Do you have a stomach for failure?

The nagging from those around you will be replace with a looming sense of needing to get your life together or you will run out money, missing a rent payment, bill payment, or worst face starvation for a few days(in my experience so far, this is a good thing because it's life & death for me so there's no room for messing around, but for you it may be different if you're not 100% committed).

If you're not mentally ready for any of this, find a way to toughen your mind up else you'll just dig yourself into a rutt from the get go(even before you leave the house lol) and then you may find your way back home to people that might not be welcoming when things don't work out.

Consider, is taking responsibility of being alone(bills, rent, etc.) going to be more difficult than dealing with your aunts and grandma? Are there any other alternatives to create a reliable stream of income before you move out? What if you deal with the aunts & grandma nagging and build something?

Of course, if you have a burning drive to build something and keep at it until it's working, then forget what I say. All else is irrelevant if you believe in yourself beyond reasons. If you have self doubt, then you better consider things through!

Just my .02

G

Guest5289

What is your gut telling you?

Are you ready to take the responsibilities of living alone? Old problems will quickly be replaced by new ones if you so choose to move out, keep that in mind. The novelty of saying "screw these people, I want to leave" wears off real quick when you're not thinking a few steps ahead and stumble a few months down the line because of miscalculations. Can you handle shame? Do you have a stomach for failure?

The nagging from those around you will be replace with a looming sense of needing to get your life together or you will run out money, missing a rent payment, bill payment, or worst face starvation for a few days(in my experience so far, this is a good thing because it's life & death for me so there's no room for messing around, but for you it may be different if you're not 100% committed).

If you're not mentally ready for any of this, find a way to toughen your mind up else you'll just dig yourself into a rutt from the get go(even before you leave the house lol) and then you may find your way back home to people that might not be welcoming when things don't work out.

Consider, is taking responsibility of being alone(bills, rent, etc.) going to be more difficult than dealing with your aunts and grandma? Are there any other alternatives to create a reliable stream of income before you move out? What if you deal with the aunts & grandma nagging and build something?

Of course, if you have a burning drive to build something and keep at it until it's working, then forget what I say. All else is irrelevant if you believe in yourself beyond reasons. If you have self doubt, then you better consider things through!

Just my .02
My gut is telling me I should do it but my brain is telling me save that money up more then leave

I can relate to all of that honestly when I was alone I felt similar and barely had free time to do anything to many chores after work like cooking, cleaning, washing clothes etc and bills

Thanks for your response angler honestly it put things into perspective very clearly, much appreciated!

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
One question:
If you leave, can you come back (to any of your family)? If you can leave and come back if everything fails, then yeah, take the dive soon and get a roommate and experience life a bit. You're probably gonna hate living with a roommate but oh well that's life. If you can't leave and come back then I'd be very cautious about your next steps. A lot of people can afford to fail, but if you have no family to fall back on you're really not going to want to do this half cocked.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
You become a different person living on your own. Get out ASAP - you don't know what you're missing.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Wealth building is more about making money than not spending it.

You become a different person living on your own. Get out ASAP - you don't know what you're missing.

You will change a ton, and it will push you out of your comfort zone and experience new things.

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
If shortly: yeah you should! It is really helpful. If price so high to you, try to find something cheep (ask your friend and neighbors, maybe some of them have a good room to rent.
Wish you luck and have a great day!

D

Deleted025167

This!

1.What you'll experience is being out of your comfort zone.
This will increase your confidence which makes you believe you can do anything you set your mind to.

2. You experience life as it should be experienced, not being in a low mood in your family's house. It messes up your decisions, choices and potential opportunities.

3. Your are your own man. You pay your bills, Youve got more responsibilities this makes you self sufficient. As for bussiness, You'll figure out a game plan.

Good luck

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada

Also I'm 25 years old

There is a saying that my late mother used to always remind me... DO NOT WAIT FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE WHO WILL NEVER COME... take time to relax, meditate on it and CHOOSE what you feel is best and stick to it.. you chose, and you receive rewards or failure.. is your life.

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada
There is a saying that my late mother used to always remind me... DO NOT WAIT FOR ANYTHING OR ANYONE WHO WILL NEVER COME... take time to relax, meditate on it and CHOOSE what you feel is best and stick to it.. you chose, and you receive rewards or failure.. is your life.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Aiden, big props for having the stones to put that out there and ask about it.
So off the top, it sounds like you've already lived on your own and you live in Australia, but you had to move back in with your grandparents because of CoL?

I'm a fellow 20-something too and cost of living and astronomic rents/housing prices are no joke. It sounds like they're trying to force you out but even if you did get out all of the homes are getting lapped up and it'd be difficult to get a decently priced apartment. Do you know what job prospects you have lined up? I know it's a complete joke of a channel but Garm on youtube makes Australian tradie jobs seem pretty decent. If you've already worked in a factory, that means you have hands-on experience and blue-collar experience, no?

Either way be careful, I know you said your gut is telling you to move out, but if you can bare it and not get kicked out for a bit and focus on saving money or up-skilling and getting a job, that may be your best bet.
I also don't know how it is in australia, but assuming you couldn't just move out to a less-expensive city? I'm faintly aware a good chunk of Australian communities are 30 minute drives away from each other or more which usually necessitates need for a vehicle- either way we're sure you can figure it out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.