The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shopify monthly subscription increased from $29 to $39

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Not impressed with this I know its not a large sum but the % increase is crazy!

I have used Shopify for years and then this price increase.

Looking for another platform any ideas?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Thanks
Bro if you used it for years and are still at a point where these 10€ a month make a difference you are probably doing something wrong. Also 33% price increase is nothing crazy or unheard of.

If you want alternatives ask Google or chatgpt.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Thanks
If the price is really your only complaint, you will find other e-commerce platforms not as good as Shopify.

But since you ask, I use bigcommerce. I like it, but it's got its quirks. They all do.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Bro if you used it for years and are still at a point where these 10€ a month make a difference you are probably doing something wrong. Also 33% price increase is nothing crazy or unheard of.

If you want alternatives ask Google or chatgpt.
Its not the amount it's the percentage increase would you increase your services or products by 30% lets see how many customers you have left. I am doing nothing wrong I control every penny like my mum said if you look after the pennies the pounds will look after themselves.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
If the price is really your only complaint, you will find other e-commerce platforms not as good as Shopify.

But since you ask, I use bigcommerce. I like it, but it's got its quirks. They all do.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
A wel structured price increase over months and years would be better.

I take this approach with everyting once the price goes past my value point like Sky TV/Nettflix or mobile cost increase I looks for alternatives. Creep in costs drains money from you by stealth. I would rather do without than pay massive increases. I do not purchase the latest phones or computers everybody is different.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
A wel structured price increase over months and years would be better.

I take this approach with everyting once the price goes past my value point like Sky TV/Nettflix or mobile cost increase I looks for alternatives. Creep in costs drains money from you by stealth. I would rather do without than pay massive increases. I do not purchase the latest phones or computers everybody is different.

You are approaching this as a customer and as a consumer. That's your right.

But shopify is a vehicle for making money. If you compare it to netflix or skyTV, you're doing it wrong.

A business owner would add other considerations besides price, like for example, which ecommerce platform provides the best user experience for my customers? For me?

I tried to tell you other platforms would be found lacking, but it sounds like price is the only thing that matters. Ok. Keep reinforcing your limited mindset.

You know how I deal with the rising cost of everything? I go make more money. I afford the things I want to afford. I cut things out that don't provide value.

You are stuck on a 33% increase as a lot, but my guy, it's ten dollars. For the sake of ten dollars you are going to upend your company platform?!?!?! @Subsonic is right, something is fishy about your business.

once the price goes past my value point

Maybe raise the value point on this one?

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
You are approaching this as a customer and as a consumer. That's your right.

But shopify is a vehicle for making money. If you compare it to netflix or skyTV, you're doing it wrong.

A business owner would add other considerations besides price, like for example, which ecommerce platform provides the best user experience for my customers? For me?

I tried to tell you other platforms would be found lacking, but it sounds like price is the only thing that matters. Ok. Keep reinforcing your limited mindset.

You know how I deal with the rising cost of everything? I go make more money. I afford the things I want to afford. I cut things out that don't provide value.

You are stuck on a 33% increase as a lot, but my guy, it's ten dollars. For the sake of ten dollars you are going to upend your company platform?!?!?! @Subsonic is right, something is fishy about your business.

Maybe raise the value point on this one?
I think you are missing the point a rise of 30% is fishy to me that means their costs have gone up somehere or customer churn has gone up. If your business costs in all areas went up by 30% you are doomed to fail It's like pubs and restaurants in the UK are closing by the day due to energy costs, food beer etc. Managing costs in a business at every level is important. Have you ever studied accountancy?

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I think you are missing the point a rise of 30% is fishy to me that means their costs have gone up somehere or customer churn has gone up. If your business costs in all areas went up by 30% you are doomed to fail It's like pubs and restaurants in the UK are closing by the day due to energy costs, food beer etc. Managing costs in a business at every level is important. Have you ever studied accountancy?
I actually think that they concluded that if they increase price by 30% and then the broke 5% who never actually bring them revenue leave, they would have waaaayyy more money over in the end.

I recently doubled my minimum service cost for my business. I started loosing some deals but guess what? I am making more profit than before.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Yes, I have studied accountancy. I've also studied investments. So I'd like to propose a third option, Shopify is a publicly traded company and responsible to its shareholders for generating greater profit.

It is not at all like the pubs and restaurants in the UK, because Shopify is the largest platform for individual commerce (as differentiated by marketplace e-commerce, AKA Amazon or Alibaba).

Shopify failing would be like Guinness failing. Sure, it could happen. It's smart to at least consider it.

But instead of "worrying" about something being fishy, why don't you just read up on the company? They're publicly traded, so they put their troubles out there for anyone to read. Surely an accountant like yourself will have no problem going through those documents and understanding the nature of the company and why the price increase happened.

And you're right, like many tech companies, they've laid off workers and faced higher cost of capital.

But that's the entire industry. If Shopify fails, several other companies are failing too. And you want to move to one of those other companies instead?

So let's pretend you're a pub owner in the uk, and you came on this thread, and you said Hey my rent just went up. Where's a better place to own a pub in the uk with cheaper rent?

And you got the feedback that instead of moving to Fordwich, you should raise your prices and make your pub so cool that people want to be there and pay those prices.

I'm glad you studied accountancy, and I believe I fully understand your point, but have you studied marketing?

You know what's more important than how a business spends money? How a business makes money...

If it's important not to ignore how you're spending money, how much more important is it not to ignore that you're not making enough sales to deal with a $10 increase?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Oh man. Once you start getting actual sales volume you'll be paying WAY more than $39/mo.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Oh man. Once you start getting actual sales volume you'll be paying WAY more than $39/mo.

He's going to end up building his own e-commerce platform just to "save costs".

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Thanks for all your positive comments it is much appreciated.

Look man, you don't need to worry about what Shopify is doing unless what they're doing is actively harming your business. (Which sometimes happens, ask anyone who sells Shopify plugins or anyone whose Shopify plugin stopped working because of an update)

An extra $10/month, even if it is a 30% increase, really isn't a big deal because of my point above: Shopify WILL charge you more when you start doing more volume. That's their model.

One day, you will be presented with the conundrum of whether or not to raise your prices, and by how much. I hope that you won't be scared out of it just because of your own purchasing habits.

Mark Horrocks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Feb 13, 2016
Still cheaper than buying a gazillion WooCommerce addons.
I will hold my hands up here I made a mistake here and could not see the woods for the trees plus I was in a bad mood.

I just increased my prices and I am actually making more profit.

We all make mistakes but we should own up when we do.

secretfastlane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
May 25, 2023
Europe

Thanks
Shopify let's you get a 3 day free trail and then a 3 months "trail" where you pay $1 per month and afterwards $39. You can even contact them and get even more free trail LOL. But regardless 3 months to get going is enough time if you work hard enough imo

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.