The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shopify + AliExpress: Can You Build a Long-Term Business?

cappirx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 16, 2018
Austria
Hi guys,

a lot of people start out with the Shopify + AliExpress / Oberlo model, but is it possible to build a successful long-term business with this model?

My main concerns are:

1) Long Shipping Times
- By default, it takes 7-10 days for items to arrive in US (longer for the rest of the world). Why would someone buy from your store if they can get the same item from Amazon in 1 day with zero shipping cost?
- It's a common issue, even among best rated sellers, that they don't use ePacket but China Post, even if you specifically instruct them to use ePacket. That can create some serious customer support issues.

2) Customs Duty
- If I as a customer would buy something and then get a form to fill out and customs duty to pay that would be a very unwelcome surprise. I would go through the trouble, probably, but I would never again order at from that seller.

3) Building a Relationship
- Nowadays you often don't buy directly from the manufacturer but from a re-seller. If you're stuck with a reseller, it's impossible to build a good relationship for the long-term (packaging, lower prices, etc.).

4) Quality Issues
- A lot of cheap products are made for Chinese market only and they don't comply with EU/US safety standards. That could cause a lot of troubles in the long-term.

What do you guys think? Is it worth doing the Shopify + AliExpress model, if you plan things for the long-trem, or is it better to skip the whole thing and find quality dropshippers in US/EU?

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
I've been doing this for over a year with one of my stores.
I've never had a single complaint, I've had a few orders not arrive but I just send a replacement out. In fact, I've received thank you emails from customers praising my level of service who have then gone on to make repeat purchases.

People will tell you dropshipping is bad and that it's cheaper than you think to import, but here's the thing, the products I thought were going to sell when I started my store have never sold, not a single sale.
I now have over 100 products listed on my store and about 90% of sales come from just 5 products. Had I imported from the start id have spent a lot of money on failed products before I found them 5 winning products and would probably have given up.

So why not get started today with dropshipping, move fast find the winning products make some sales, and then look to importing/ branding/ improving shipping times once you know what sells.

cappirx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Mar 16, 2018
Austria
I'm happy to hear that, thank you.

I thought I'd find some dropshippers in UK for my niche because of all the reasons that I mentioned before. The only downside compared to AliExpress would be a lot smaller selection of products.

I guess I'll give Shopify + AliExpress a go then and I'll slowly optimize the whole thing as I go along.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.