The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Meltdown?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
What the crap happened with this Michael guy with plate topper on tonights show?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
One of the most epic meltdowns I have ever seen.

At one point he was dismissing the exact offer he came in for as too low. What the hell was going through his mind?

nation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 2, 2012
What the crap happened with this Michael guy with plate topper on tonights show?

I think he needed to watch the show a couple times before he went to the show.

The other thing is that editors are powerful people ... my guess is he was there much longer then the few minutes they showed on TV.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Editing can be a powerful tool to show what the producers want you to see however the meltdowns didn't seem to be heavily edited. Also this one took up half the show. I read or saw an interview with one of the sharks that said each presentation is about an hour long.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
He was either over-valuing his company or not. But the real problem was that he was not honest about what he wanted up front.

The Sharks saw that it was worth much more than he asked for, which was a $1.8M valuation. They came up to $3M and $4M right away and he could have probably negotiated a bit higher between them. Instead of negotiating with the offers on the table, he got greedy and tried to get the remaining Sharks to come in at $15M.

They were very interested but he talked too much and insulted the ones that had made offers. It was an amazing case of talking the Sharks out of the good deal they were offering. He ended up taking a $1.25M valuation deal that seems too low if he really had had $1M sales in 4 months on internet/QVC only.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
My best guess would be that when he applied to be on the show he didn't have the huge sales and sales orders he did when he got there. The time between when you apply and you get on can be months.

I would not doubt it if the producers told him NO you have to go in with the 15% for 90K.

So he was stuck.

BUT wow he screwed up, I probably would have messed up even worse with that sort of pressure. For sure I think he got the right person to work with.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
My best guess would be that when he applied to be on the show he didn't have the huge sales and sales orders he did when he got there. The time between when you apply and you get on can be months.

I would not doubt it if the producers told him NO you have to go in with the 15% for 90K.

So he was stuck.

You know I was wondering this very thing as I was watching that.

Daymond really did turn it into a pressure cooker and things got extremely tense. Cuban was trying to calm the situation to give the guy a chance but the guy made worse and worse. I'm actually surprised Lori still did the deal considering the situation but I agree she was definitely the one to partner with.

mohawkdcg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Aug 31, 2012
OC Cal
Daymond really did turn it into a pressure cooker and things got extremely tense. Cuban was trying to calm the situation to give the guy a chance but the guy made worse and worse. I'm actually surprised Lori still did the deal considering the situation but I agree she was definitely the one to partner with.

I think it was a great product and Lori showed herself to be an excellent negotiator. She really made hay out of the situation! The product should easily go over $4M in which case she's made $320K from her $90K investment. A 356% gain.

It is probably still a good deal for him because of her experience. And she will probably put her attention on it because she is getting a good bang for her buck. With every $1M more she helps generate she almost doubles her investment.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Link plz... Not all of us live in the US.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.