The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Septic systems...

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I'm trying to buy a project now that doesn't have sewer available for it, so I will have to install a few septic systems. Anyone have any advice regarding the costs or what I should look for? I know I have to do test holes and get someone to design them. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm guessing $20k-$30k per system? I need to install 3.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Around here we have black, clay soil. All the new septic systems have to be aerobic. You also have to have a service contract with a licensed service company. I've been on septic for 25 years. Mine is the leach field kind. It works well except when it rains for 2-3 weeks straight and tank fills up. Blech.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
My country properties in Napa Valley both had septic systems, and I had no problems w/them-- save the one Runum mentions. Time to get 'em pumped out when that happens.

Do you have water, or do you need wells? This was an issue for one of my places, as I would have had to install a jacketed well pipe (=$$$) in order to get a large enough leach field for a 3-4 BR house.

-Russ H.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
Hi,

First thing I suggest you consider is contacting the local Agricultural Extension through the nearby college, or the local Natural Resource Conservation Service. Ask them if they will copy the page from the local soil survey book and make a copy for you, and explain what the soil survey means.

If you have an order II survey in your area, there should be enough info to tell if you can physically build a leach field or need a tank. The following soil properties determine physical parameters:
- Particle size
- Percentage of clay/sand/silt
- Transmissivity
- Compaction

The local soil scientist or ag adviser may be able to provide you some direction based upon that soil survey and what you tell them about the property.

Leach fields are easier and cheaper to build and don’t require much service (sometimes you add soil amendments).

Not all jurisdictions will let you build a leach field. The local Environmental Health Department will let you know, they are the ones that regulate this. Some jurisdictions require a 100’ or 200’ offset from other leach fields; properly line; and the water wells. If you cant get that geometry you will need a tank.

Some jurisdictions will let you use an elevated leach field called land disposal, using a series of rainbirds/misters. This is often used in rocky high mountain terrain.

On Hawaii they don’t do any of this, they have injection wells.

Depending on how far you are from the city/county sewer, you may just want to tap that system. In my town they require 6k$ just for the permit, so it can get expensive – but the costs are only upfront. Our town actually will pay to fix the laterals from the house to the main.

Designing a septic tank system is fairly straightforward for those that have the knowledge and expertise. Make sure you don’t cheap out on the engineer, you don’t want to save pennies upfront and have a system that doesn’t work.

If you are really handy and can run a backhoe you may be able to build the system using an engineered-developed spec sheet and plans; depending on the jurisdiction. If there is a lot of clay, you should pay someone to install.

Hope that helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Where are your systems located? One of our businesses maintain septic and another one installs. In Texas they are regulated by TCEQ and locally by the County Health department. The cost of the system is mostly determined by the type of soil and "lay of the land". High water table, unsuitable soil or excessive rock dictates the use of an aerobic system. In that case a 10k-20K price tag might be pretty accurate. If you have good soil and a fairly even terrain you may be OK with a standard gravity flow system that would run you between 7k - 10k. In any case you are better off having the system pumped regularly about once every 5 years is usually sufficient to prevent overload of the system.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.