The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling shares of myself

williell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jan 14, 2009
What do you think of selling a percent of your future income as shares to creatively finance education? It looks like MyRichUnlce.com is trying to get students to do exactly that, or something very similar.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
I strongly would suggest that you think of other ways of raising capital.

callmelucid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 27, 2009
Brentwood, California, United States
why not just get a loan you can pay back 6 months after you graduate?

even a loan with 100% interest is better overall than giving away your future earnings

if you are going to give away your future earnings, then i suggest making a cap

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
You need to look at this from a different perspective. You've basically betting on yourself to not be really successful, so to speak. In other words, you're saying you're shares aren't going to be worth enough for yourself to want to have them.

If I'm going to gamble, I'm going to gamble on myself, not against myself. You're doing the opposite. Doesn't make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong I understand hedging your bets. But this seems like a horrible spot to do it.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Student loans work well.

How much are these schools? I mean I have friends who are spending $50k-$60k a year on school and there loans cover it, I admit they are big but still.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
williell-

You are doing a double BS?

I worked full time (afternoons and evenings) while I went to school.

My course load was 16-18 credits/semester (typical load was 10-12).

I went year round.

I did not sleep a whole lot.

But I finished college w/very little in the way of bills.

That was 1984. I've never regretted it.

You can work while going to school. Lots of people do it. :banana:

-Russ H.

MattThomas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 16, 2009
Long Island, New York
Keep in mind that you won't get a lot for each share if they do sell. That isn't to say that you aren't successful or reliable, but investors would perceive investing in one person very risky and thus, demand a steep discount for each share.

As the other members have said, consider finding another way to finance the semester.

That said, I do like your outside-of-the-box thinking. Entrepreneurs need that type of innovation and I think it is a very creative idea.

GLC65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 7, 2008
Illinois
I want to go to school in the summer, and would like to creatively finance the semester by selling shares of my future revenue stream, does anyone have an idea of how to do this? I have recently started a collections agency, construction company, security company, and investment club (will have an investment firm one day). I am a little hesitant to do this because I dont know how much I will like to share my income, so maybe I can find the money I need in other ways.

You should stick with one thing instead of spreading yourself so thin.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
There has got to be another way.... even if you only make minimum wage for the rest of your working life, you are talking about a very large sum of money to pay back a small initial loan.

Work.
Borrow from Prosper.com
Student loans are really tapped out? really? Try harder.
And... GLC has a great point. Why so many start ups... ALL AT ONCE? (I can say this, because I am often guilty of the same mistake).
Pick ONE (the one with the best potential for immediate injections of cash) and focus on that. You can always do the other's later......

(too my mastermind group . . . does this feel like deja vu?)

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
I have recently started a collections agency, construction company, security company, and investment club (will have an investment firm one day).

Why not use the revenue from one of these companies? The investment club may not have any revenue, but surely one of your many companies must generate some profit. Or take out some business loans and pay yourself a salary.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.