The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Self-Publishing Resources and Websites

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
Here's another site that's come in handy for me: http://750words.com/

I've been using it for a while but for some reason it didn't occur to me to post it until today. This probably won't help you in any practical way, like give you a template or provide advice, but I've found that it helps me get up and keep going during the "desert of desertion" moments.

For example: this weekend, I've been feeling really down and low-energy and couldn't figure out why until I had a word-purge; toward word 400 or so, I sussed out that I'd been sitting around and waiting for something, instead of taking action and going for it. Granted, lots of people use blogs for this, but for me, knowing that the only reason I log in is to sweep out the cobwebs or shine a light on everything I'm using as an excuse for not getting started has been super helpful. I hope that it might prove as handy to some of you as well, even if you're not working on a writing project.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
http://www.yasiv.com/

Interesting site. Supposed to auto populate based on "also bought" lists. I haven't really looked at it much, nor figured out how to use the information to see which "also boughts" you're showing up on, but interesting nonetheless.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Here's one on covers that sell:

Be sure to read the comments. Hilarious. Thank goodness I can (and do) use half-naked hunky men on several of mine. Now if I could just get a bunch of readers to pick MY half-naked hunky men out of the crowd...

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Hey guys,

here is a free guide on how to hire the right book cover designer. It answers questions about Pricing ranges, design process, book cover design mistakes and what to expect from a designer..

http://www.rockingbookcovers.com/get-great-book-cover-free-guide/

Let me know how you like it. It will help even if you don't hire me as a designer, it's a general guide to help authores better understand the process of how to get a great cover.

mstyle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 21, 2013
This is great! Some really useful links to help with self-publishing. I've just started upon a new project and found these few sites really helpful too, hope they help...

For bar codes there's Barcoding really straight forward

If you're having your book printed then Createspace are a good option too

For the cover design I used these guys JD&J super service and so helpful

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
An excellent resource for Canadian authors, the Canadian government has a program to provide free ISBN numbers (they can cost upwards of $125 each).

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ciss-ssci/041002-2000-e.html

I've successfully signed up and have had a block of ISBN numbers for me use. Very nice gift from the gov. to support Canuck writers and publishers.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
I have no problem with the advice he gives, in fact, I think it's very good advice for people who are trying to turn writing into a fastlane type business. I even prefaced my original reply by stating there was solid advice being given.

The only thing I spoke up about was the fact that, as a writer, he could have worded his original post and replies in a hundred different ways, but he chose the one where he basically insults a large portion of aspiring self-published authors. And, he didn't differentiate between any of them. From the DIY'er who is looking to build up capital to reinvest in professional services, to the DIY'ers who think they can do a better job than the professionals, he equally verbally dumped on all them (and outright insulted a couple of them) when he didn't have to. MJ's work is equally "in your face," but I really don't recall him outright insulting aspiring entrepreneurs. I don't see him posting in bootstrapping threads, implying that the posters are failures because they lack start-up capital.

I contribute and share with the writing community here because that type of elitism and looking-down-their-nose behavior isn't prevalent. In my experience, it's just the opposite - "get it done however you can and keep busting your a$$" is the fastlane mantra I get from this forum.

By RB's own words, pretty much all the writers who are sharing their progress here are complete and utter failures who don't deserve the publishing button they've been pushing. So forgive me if I decide to speak up when that stuff is posted on this forum, on behalf of those people who I support and who have supported me during our journeys.

Thrifty, I agree with some of what you're saying - whilst I undestand that Blake is being sarcastic - some of his comments come across as pretentious. In particular, the statement about the length of a novel is subjective: one finds a need, meets the need and then works it.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is a lot of ''Us vs Them'' mentality in the book.

Because it IS an us vs them. If you don't understand that, you just end up like "them."

Nonetheless, I gave you 100 rep for the thread and all of the resources posted.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Because it IS an us vs them. If you don't understand that, you just end up like "them."

You know I looked at a BP photo once..and I said "look at these people...they are pirates. They know they're sailing away from the crowd, and they are not scared to do it."

Then a couple of weeks ago I narrowed it down to another term - "producers"

I even looked at making t-shirts for the forum, but that would get confused with the music biz.

In the end, there that little voice that tells you, no matter how hard you think you might try to adjust, or even if you give up, that you know you'll never fit in "out there".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

I was pointing out that he gave you a pass for tone that can be found offensive by some and didn't for the guy who wrote the article. Not arguing 'us vs them' etc..

Thank you

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.