The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Self-Publishing Resources and Websites

Supercar Ace

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 8, 2015
Sunny So Cal - LA

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Here's a website @Supa posted elsewhere a while back: https://www.similarweb.com/
It's not a self-publishing resource, per se, but it's a good, quick reference for analyzing traffic to websites. I use it for all the "book promo" websites to weed out which ones even get traffic in the first place. Not to my surprise, I discovered nearly HALF of the pages on an author's resource website got very little traffic, and most of the traffic they did get were from other Author Resource pages, leading me to believe you're paying to have your book sent out to a bunch of people trying to send their books out to a bunch of people. . . There was one site I came across that wanted $100 for a 1-day promo. Now, I know marketing costs money, however, their site was mostly composed of other authors looking for promotion and not reading.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Here's a website @Supa posted elsewhere a while back: https://www.similarweb.com/
It's not a self-publishing resource, per se, but it's a good, quick reference for analyzing traffic to websites. I use it for all the "book promo" websites to weed out which ones even get traffic in the first place. Not to my surprise, I discovered nearly HALF of the pages on an author's resource website got very little traffic, and most of the traffic they did get were from other Author Resource pages, leading me to believe you're paying to have your book sent out to a bunch of people trying to send their books out to a bunch of people. . . There was one site I came across that wanted $100 for a 1-day promo. Now, I know marketing costs money, however, their site was mostly composed of other authors looking for promotion and not reading.

No outside website, nor Alexa nor Similarweb can know real traffic to the website. So I don't trust them.. simply because you can't judge traffic without it being tracked.

Also, if book promo site makes most impact through FB groups or email lists, then their traffic doesn't have to be big at all so that's not a thing to do only. It can be small part of research..

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
No outside website, nor Alexa nor Similarweb can know real traffic to the website. So I don't trust them.. simply because you can't judge traffic without it being tracked.

Also, if book promo site makes most impact through FB groups or email lists, then their traffic doesn't have to be big at all so that's not a thing to do only. It can be small part of research..
Good to know. I feel quite foolish now, lol. Well, guess I'll stick to stalking their social platforms to see how many likes, retweets, etc. their posts get.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Good to know. I feel quite foolish now, lol. Well, guess I'll stick to stalking their social platforms to see how many likes, retweets, etc. their posts get.

Don't be. It's good that you question things and look for tools and use them. Keep doing that. Just don't make these kind of sites the main thing in judging if it works. It's a piece of it. ;)

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Thought I'd share some useful sites for self-pubbing folks!

Kristine Kathryn Rusch - hands down, BEST blog for writers about writing and writing business from bestselling author, read The Business Rush section. Amazing insight because she writes, has run a Publishing company, Distribution company and has most understanding about these thing as a writer. No one comes close probably..

A Blog Pertaining to Health | My Health Blog - great site for marketing advice, podcast and video interviews too.

KBoards - Index - very good forum for writers. Ton of pretty successful authors hang out there.

Rocking Self Publishing | Weekly interviews with self-published authors - audio interviews with successful indie authors with tips and advice (all authors make over $1k a month from books alone). Disclaimer: I'm working on it behind the scenes and am interviewed there.

Bestseller Labs - very good resource for book marketing

Jane Friedman: Writing, Reading, and Publishing in the Digital Age - probably 2nd best site here. Jane Friedman is a big name in publishing industry and has a lot of insight.

Hope this is helpful, share your favorites!

Thanks for sharing the list Gymjunkie.

Kristine's blog is incredible. Within 30 minutes I've plowed through six blog posts.

Her INSIDERS view of the publishing industry alone is unparallel to anything I have read so far.

Keep rocking bro.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
A great source of knowledge and insights on fiction writing is the blog on terribleminds.com by Chuck Wendig.

It's more about the writing part of it, though there are still articles on publishing.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Haven't posted in a while but here is another good resource - an article about Kindle Unlimited and it's impact. Talks about KU subscribers, do they buy books, how much they read etc. Good article for general understanding of how things work. Good website in general too read, plenty of otehr good articles:

https://www.writtenwordmedia.com/2017/04/13/kindle-unlimited-subscribers/

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

fresh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Apr 28, 2017
NJ
Gymjunkie, I've recommended your covers to people in the past. Small world...just noticed your signature line. You've got a great look for the gritty/thriller vibe, etc.

Olie Sins

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 28, 2017
World Wide
Thought I'd share some useful sites for self-pubbing folks!

Kristine Kathryn Rusch - hands down, BEST blog for writers about writing and writing business from bestselling author, read The Business Rush section. Amazing insight because she writes, has run a Publishing company, Distribution company and has most understanding about these thing as a writer. No one comes close probably..

A Blog Pertaining to Health | My Health Blog - great site for marketing advice, podcast and video interviews too.

KBoards - Index - very good forum for writers. Ton of pretty successful authors hang out there.

Rocking Self Publishing | Weekly interviews with self-published authors - audio interviews with successful indie authors with tips and advice (all authors make over $1k a month from books alone). Disclaimer: I'm working on it behind the scenes and am interviewed there.

Bestseller Labs - very good resource for book marketing

Jane Friedman: Writing, Reading, and Publishing in the Digital Age - probably 2nd best site here. Jane Friedman is a big name in publishing industry and has a lot of insight.

Hope this is helpful, share your favorites!
Wow man, thanks for putting this together.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
9 Ways to Use Reviews in Your Marketing

No.7 is quote uncommon and possibly, very powerful - using reviews as inspiration for rewriting and improving your blurb. Maybe a reader review captures something better and you can use that in blurb. As we know, it's best to talk like a customer anyway in marketing. And this is a great strategy for getting insights into that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.