The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scaling a Cleaning Service Business

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
Hello forum!

My wife has her own business of cleaning post construction houses. In our area this is a massive niche because of the housing market. Currently she does this by herself and spends typically 10 hours per house, depending. Charges .30 per square foot. I’m trying to find ways to scale the business and have her take on more employees and get more projects going on at a time.

Any ideas on how to scale this? I think that she doesn’t charge enough in order to do that.

What are your thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
10 hours per house seems like alot of work.

I would definitely consider getting employees, to take on some of that load as that's a big time trade by the looks of it.

Dont know if your service is online but @Andy Black might be someone to ask for help possibly using Google AdWords, to target other suburbs possibly and expand that way.

I would imagine franchising might possibly be an option to?

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
$900 to clean a 3,000ft^2 house in 10 hours is $90/hour. Sounds reasonable and competitive to me.

It's a human resource business. To grow this business she would have to hire good workers, most likely Mexicans, and managers.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
most likely Mexicans
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
I would imagine franchising might possibly be an option to?

I would not consider franchising however I will get into adwords and online marketing. Thanks for the tips very useful.

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
$900 to clean a 3,000ft^2 house in 10 hours is $90/hour.
What I forgot to mention is my wife is extremely fast and really thorough with her cleaning and 10 hours for a 3ksqft house is damn impressive . The only thing I’m afraid of is finding good cleaners that will work for less than half the price.

2 cleaners will take lets say for full days sake 16 hours to clean the house.
Our minimum here in Washington will be $12 and we would be paying 13 and forking out a total of 15.50 for L&I and insurance etc

So total earned - $900
Employees paid $496
Profit earned $404 per 3ksqft house
Seems good but like you said. I need good cleaners to offer something others don’t. Insanely thorough and fast. Our Mexican friends definitely are my best bet.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
What I forgot to mention is my wife is extremely fast and really thorough with her cleaning and 10 hours for a 3ksqft house is damn impressive . The only thing I’m afraid of is finding good cleaners that will work for less than half the price.

2 cleaners will take lets say for full days sake 16 hours to clean the house.
Our minimum here in Washington will be $12 and we would be paying 13 and forking out a total of 15.50 for L&I and insurance etc

So total earned - $900
Employees paid $496
Profit earned $404 per 3ksqft house
Seems good but like you said. I need good cleaners to offer something others don’t. Insanely thorough and fast. Our Mexican friends definitely are my best bet.
Don't be afraid to pay well for quality workers (of any nationality).
Low turnover and employee reliability will go a long way towards growing your business.

Royce2

y'all need jesus
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Dec 16, 2018
Washington State
Don't be afraid to pay well for quality workers (of any nationality).
Oh absolutely! I am definitely going to pay well to the star workers no doubt. However there is a period every one of us 9to5 workers had to go through to prove our worth.

Heck if I am able to find enough work for them and if they work twice as fast as I think they will I would double their wage and tell them that too.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Oh absolutely! I am definitely going to pay well to the star workers no doubt. However there is a period every one of us 9to5 workers had to go through to prove our worth.

Heck if I am able to find enough work for them and if they work twice as fast as I think they will I would double their wage and tell them that too.
Keep in mind that real estate construction is an extremely cyclical business. You need to be able to attract qualified cleaners quickly when you need them, and lay them off or reduce their hours when nobody is building. Or branch out into office and residential cleaning to reduce the effect of the business cycle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.