The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Safe WiFi worldwide: how?

G

GuestUser140

Hi guys,

How do you (location free) entrepreneurs handle banking and other sensitive computer tasks on the go?

Public WiFi ain't the place to send large wires, right? Hotel WiFi?

Asking because I move around a lot and bringing a router might be cumbersome. Internet speed doesn't matter.

Best,

Michael

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

drifter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 10, 2016
Canada
I'll keep it short and sweet: All my devices have a VPN installed that I use whenever I am in a location in which I don't trust the internet source. Particularly public places (coffee shops) and hotels are brilliant attack points.

Private Internet Access is reliable publicly available VPN, for example.

pastemaker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Feb 1, 2016
I confirm what drifter said. When using public wifi ALWAYS use a Vpn, that way your traffic is tunnelled and is not visible through mitm(man-in-the-middle) attacks. Another solution would be to use teamviewer and connect to your home pc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Same here, I use a vpn to connect.

Most times I use public wifi with the vpn. Sometimes I use my phone as a hotspot.

I also have a Huawei 4g wireless router that works great for travel. It is smaller than a smart phone and the battery last for hours.

D

Deleted20833

I'm planning on traveling a lot soon so these suggestions are great

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Of you are American, get Tmobile. Their plans include intl data roaming and free sms. Calls are 20c/m.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 duo. It is a dual sim phone and works great (there is an S6 duo now). You can buy the unlocked S6 duo on Amazon.

Get that phone with Tmobile and you will have data roaming all over the world. Then use a local sim (simultaneously ) for faster data and calls locally.

Make sure to get a local number and subscription thru Skype and have it forwarded to your cell as well. This will allow you to cheaply stay connected back home for personal and business reasons.

As for vpn. It depends on what I am doing. For non critical stuff I use the free browser plugin - Hola. If I am working with client files I use Cryptohippie.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
It's a simple as downloading Hola for Chrome, turning it on, and you're good to go?
Yes. Also firefox. Once ypu download it you need to choose your location. For example if you want your home location to be the UK or US, you will need to click the button on the toolbar for each site.

Again though. Hola is very basic (hence free) and nowhere near as safe as Cryptohippie for important stuff.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
It's a simple as downloading Hola for Chrome, turning it on, and you're good to go?
You know what they say about free services? If it's free..you are the product. With Hola you become an exit node for other people. Your bandwidth is used and sold off to others.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
You know what they say about free services? If it's free..you are the product. With Hola you become an exit node for other people. Your bandwidth is used and sold off to others.
Good to know. I really only use it for basic stuff when a US ip address is necessary (some sites block non US ips) or watching Amazon prime movies.

Do you know how much hola would slow you down by sharing bandwidth?

I am not super techy and just wondering what are the downsides and risks associated with using hola.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Good to know. I really only use it for basic stuff when a US ip address is necessary (some sites block non US ips) or watching Amazon prime movies.

Do you know how much hola would slow you down by sharing bandwidth?

I am not super techy and just wondering what are the downsides and risks associated with using hola.

I don't know. I just pulled up an article that sheds some more light on it though. Hola claims to only use your resources if you're idle so it shouldn't slow you down. If you want to read a bit more on it http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928...our-bandwidth-for-use-in-a-botnet-attack.html

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
portable 4g wifi hotspot for me, don't leave home without it.

PlatinumPresto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Feb 1, 2016
A few recommendations for VPN:

surfeasy (compatible with all devices)
betternet (compatible with all devices & free)

or anything from the app store, these 2 are easy to use and often easy to download from a country which blocks vpn's (experience from living in china and dubai),

and then if you want high private security then you would roll your own VPN server (can PM me on this if you want)

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
VPN with OpenVPN protocol

In China it doesn't work, and they revamped their firewall, I couldn't find a decent VPN server because they all end up blocked.

So I bought a VPS for 15$ a year and installed a simple PP2P VPN, less encryption but worked wonders in China. OpenVPN has some problems (I think they detect the "cloaking/encryption"). I also have OpenVPN on this VPS server now, not going back to expensive IP Shared servers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.