The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Safe" e-commerce ideas

Idea threads

MrRobot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 10, 2020
Switzerland
So I know that finding a niche with low competition and high margin is the holy grail of e-commerce. But is there some "safe space" in e-commerce ? Like selling certain type of products which are always in demand do not generate outstanding sales they "just work". I am not looking to make 50K from 5K in 2 months or so but making 11K from 10K would be nice for example even if it cannot be scaled to 100K->110K.

So my question: is there any "safe", proven to work method or product category out there?

Yes I am lazy and not very creative I know.

/edit:
Just to give you guys an idea what I mean: If you invest your money in the stock market you can choose some niche companies with high risk high reward and hope for the best or you can pick an index fund and just keep up with the market and make small consistent returns (~7%) year over year. I am looking for something like that in e-commerce.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WhoDatBoy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 17, 2020
The Netherlands
I'm afraid that everyone would like the answer to that question, but no one is going to give it to you. If anyone does have the answer; why would they give it away?

The only way to find out is by trying things out yourself. Just read through the many eCommerce threads on the forum to gain valuable knowledge, and hopefully ideas.

Good luck!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You're looking at this wrong.

Even IF there's a "safe space", part of why it is safe is low competition. Post the niche in a free forum and watch how fast lazy copy cats show up.

I suppose, if you want a safe space, the better question is this:

What niches have high barriers to entry?

But of course, lazy folks don't overcome high barriers to entry...

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
What are some things people will always need?
What is something that could give more value to these products, would sell well with with them, etc. ?

Take a walk in a Walmart, list every "everyday item" and think about how they could be improved or how a secondary product related to them could help people and provide value in people's life.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
What do you mean? Do you have a moderate example? Not extreme like cars.
There's a lot of ways to answer that question. I'll give a couple.

I know a company that signed a deal with a European manufacturer of a certain high quality, high end kitchen product to be sole distributor in the Western US. The ecommerce competition consists of the eastern US distributor and one other domestic manufacturer who's product is less expensive and a lower quality. The domestic manufacturer is the sole distributor for their product. To compete in this space, you'd have to become a manufacturer of this product somehow, and there are only a handful of factories in the world that could even make this product.

I know another electronics manufacturer who will only allow stores as distributors after the store can prove revenue over $1M, and it must have a physical storefront. This company polices and enforces their MAP pricing policy. The company does not want it's product being devalued, so the 8 or so distributors have a relatively even playing field to operate under.

Both these situations fit the "low competition / high margin" criteria of the OP. Both of these sell products in the $200-$500 range, but the purchases are usually for multiple items so the average ticket can be $800-$1500.

The point was I was making is that, for most people, it's hard to break into these spaces, even if I tell you what they are.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I’d add that there is a specific type of washer that’s used in the oil & gas industry that sells for a lot of money to the right buyers. Just an example. But you wouldn’t know about this unless you have actual work experience in the industry.

Niche hardware is one of the best categories for products, retailers, and distributors.

An example: publicly traded multi-billion dollar company Fastenal does exactly what I’m talking about!

Last edited by a moderator:

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I own one of these types of businesses. Distributing products for global manufacturers in the USA/Canada.
Not just distributing, but retail and wholesale.

So there is some protection, yes.
But, those relationships come from having company first.
Taking care of customers. Selling well. Supporting customers.

Then over years, building relationships, traveling to events, conferences.
Building connections.
Then, getting a foot in the door with a product.

Yes, getting some protection - but having to earn it every day, to keep it.

So, it is nice in a lot of ways, but it's not easy.
Like anything really. Past results are no guarantee of future results.

We've got to run a good business, day in, day out.
We've got to adapt and grow.
We've got to improve our systems.
We've got to give customers what they want.
Take care of our staff, invest in them, grow for them.
We've got to run a very good business. Every day.

No matter what product we're selling, it doesn't matter if we run our business poorly.
I think some of the most disruptive businesses are providing amazing service to customers, not just niche products.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Agreed, you have to look at demand consistency, supply consistency, sales/platform, and competition. If any of those is off, you go from safe product to a dud in no time flat. You need some type of moat. If you can build that, then might as well make great margins instead of just safe margins. I think the short answer is no.

If its just a matter of a couple thousand, you can probably do it through retail arbitrage on Amazon, but it involves work, and still isn't 100% safe.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

To me this is the beauty of real estate and location-based businesses: it’s easy to fill a need and end up with a productocracy simply by being the best (or only) player in town!

The problem with the internet (I’ve struggled with, others here seem to have it all figured out) is that you’re competing with everyone in the whole world!

That includes companies with billions of dollars and the direct, one-word domain names.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So my question: is there any "safe", proven to work method or product category out there?

I think you are using the wrong definition of safe. There are many products that are always needed. You can sell things like soap, toothpaste, shoes, pillows, etc... If I tell you that soap is a "safe" niche and that people buy millions of units a year. What does that mean to you?

Nothing.

Because it's not the product. It's about your skill and knowledge.

You would be better off finding a niche that is very very small. For example, you only sell handmade soap made from yeti milk. You could probably make $5-10k a year because you are the only one doing so and you market to a small group of people.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.