The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rich Dad Seminar Exposed (FINALLY!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Posted in the other thread too...

Hidden cameras, suckers paid $500 to receive ten bucks of information and 3 days of hard upsells ... but didn't Fastlane expose this almost a year ago?

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/road_to_rich_dad/main.html

RK, a man who claims "due diligence" in all his books, guess he didn't do his??? I don't buy it for a freaking second. He either can claim ignorance or claim a few million more in profits ...

Watch all 22 minutes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm simply amazed that such an arrogant person could give a seminar and people still don't walk out. If I was in that room I might have stood up and told the guy to F*CK OFF. And yet, people still clapped at the end. As I said dozens of times earlier, the lessons taught therein are found for $19.95 at a bookstore, yet these saps paid $500 to hear it sprinkled over 3 days overshadowed by 3 days of hard upselling.

This seminar insanity exposes a need ... Kung Fu Steve ya out there?

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
I'm in class, but really interested in watching the video now. You'd be surprised what people can justify to themselves after they have paid the money. It's like mentally they receive the value as soon as the payment is processed. He could have probably said ANYTHING and still been received well.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm simply amazed that such an arrogant person could give a seminar and people still don't walk out. If I was in that room I might have stood up and told the guy to F*CK OFF. And yet, people still clapped at the end. As I said dozens of times earlier, the lessons taught therein are found for $19.95 at a bookstore, yet these saps paid $500 to hear it sprinkled over 3 days overshadowed by 3 days of hard upselling.

This seminar insanity exposes a need ... Kung Fu Steve ya out there?

I hear you loud and clear!

Maybe we need to go on the speaking road together MJ :smxB:.

I have a hard time listening to someone who hasn't "done it". And I'm not one who can give financial advice yet as I have not "done it". The mental, emotional, and physical side is a piece of cake - although... we may need a relationship expert haha

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
I just watched the video. The seminar reminded me of a Forex seminar I attended years ago. It was probably the same seminar company involved, but I can't be sure.

Regarding Rich Dad, this exposure can both good and bad. I'm glad these high pressure sales tactics are being revealed. They need to be because people should feel that they are receiving something of value after paying that amount of money.

My opinion (only) is that this will be a slight gut check for Kiyosaki, but he'll pull through it unless more media outlets run with the story. If that were to happen, the potential downside might be that it would affect financial advice book sales. People will become more skeptical. After all, the #1 guy just got checked by a national news source.

For my part, I'm glad that MJ has put this community together. I've been able to learn for free what others shell out thousands of dollars for. Regarding your book launch MJ, you already know that you're going to have to contrast the differences in your Fastlane philosophy and with those of other established authors. You've made this forum and your book out to be credible, and we'll back you on it. Soon it will be time to face the critics. I think that once they see that the information here is genuine and the advice applicable, your sales will take off.

Borrowing from your own metric, If you produce a quality product (information) that satisfies a need and apply it to millions, you'll be successful. Good Luck!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
MJ, aren't we going to Armando Montelongo's seminar next week? :)

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
"I will look into this..." "I will look into this..." "I will look into this, I PROMISE" "Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
This is devastating. Not just that Kiyosaki is screwing people while giving them bits and pieces of sound advice sprinkled in between, but that he sold out to this get rich quickly scam artist fad. It makes things considerably more difficult for guys like me, or guys like MJ, who is interested in delivering sound financial advice to people for a reasonable price. One thing that stands out most to me whenever Robert and others speak is their language. Using terms like "get rich quick" or talking about doing what the rich do is such out-dated and intellectually belittling talk. Financial freedom--a word that is used so often these days it is like a toy--has nothing to do with richness. It is about spending a greater majority of your life living your living and less time having to earn your living. People spend too much time earning their living and don't get the chance to live it because money is a lifeline to them rather than a life enhancer. Robert garners peoples' trust and then stomps on it. That makes it so much more difficult for someone new with a brain to garner that trust and embrace it. As an entrepreneur, I am sick of having to climb mountains left behind by people who didn't care. I still want to get wealthy quickly, but I don't have to take shortcuts to do it.

MJ, how do you plan to set yourself apart from this when you start marketing your book? I showed a co-worker the front page of this forum one day and his response was "Looks like a scam to me."

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Wow, the attitude of the instructor reminds me of a meeting we had just a few years ago w/RK . . .

From the video above:

"If you don't like what I'm saying, LEAVE."

"If you the guts to say something, say it to my face. And if you say it's too expensive- LEAVE."

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I loved this one:

"Ill say it again our advanced training ranges from 12 to 45 thousand dollars."

Do the math.

Let's say 100 of these seminars are put on each year.

100 x 100 attendees x $500 = $,5000,000

From those, let's say only 10% "sign up":

100 x 100 x 10% = 1,000 people

1,000 people x 30,000 each = $30,000,000.00

Staggering.

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1,000 people x 30,000 each = $30,000,000.00

Certainly beats selling $45,000 mobile homes in a non-existant, undeveloped mobile home park, wouldn'tcha say? :rofl:

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Yeah the hard upselling and overall sleaze of it can't stand a chance. It's bound to get exposed like this, and anyone discerning will keep their distance. That said I don't have an inherent issue with charging what you can get.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I hear you loud and clear!

Maybe we need to go on the speaking road together MJ :smxB:.

I have a hard time listening to someone who hasn't "done it". And I'm not one who can give financial advice yet as I have not "done it". The mental, emotional, and physical side is a piece of cake - although... we may need a relationship expert haha

I think CAT would be perfect for the above........after all who would know more about relationships...huh?

Kio's people tried to hire me a couple years ago......guess I missed out !Now where is that mobile? :smx6:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Correct, we discussed this years ago.

This is not only RK's system... it is a proven system used by many others in the industry. They all act in similar way.

Why?

CAUSE IT WORKS!

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
besides this seminar, i think any seminar that people pay money for is BS, especially if it's costing more than $50. or/and you have to buy additional materials. information is free, all anyone gotta do is find it. it's 2010, it's staggering what one can find by hitting a search engine. my father has wasted so much money on these sort of stuff, the worse is he buys the books and never even reads em.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
If anything, this is an example of how greed and blind trust can cause people to act recklessly. Most people spend weeks and months when considering whether to buy a house, vehicle, boat, or finance college. Yet if you can convince them that you have the key to their happiness and they must act fast, they'll go over a cliff like lemmings. It's like the kids story "Jack and the Bean Stock", they'll sell the cow just for a chance to buy magic beans. The only problem is the Giant often works for the collection agency and you have no axe when you need it. More than that, they are often too lazy to plant the beans in the first place.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
information is free, all anyone gotta do is find it. it's 2010, it's staggering what one can find by hitting a search engine.

You're missing the point of charging for information. It isn't the information that is being charged for, everyone knows it is available for free SOMEWHERE else.

What's being charged for is the time savings of gathering, organizing and presenting the information.

By your logic, houses should sell for the cost of the building materials, since theoretically I could build my own house if I own a hammer and a wheelbarrow. ;)

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
RK is an expert in upselling. That his always been his business model. Anybody who didn't see that after reading the first book, didn't see the big picture. Every book pitches the cashflow board game, and the next book, or a previous book, etc etc... If you've ever been to one of his "free" seminars, it's a straight up sell for the $5k package deal, which probably upsells to the $45k package, etc

- Hakrjak

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
besides this seminar, i think any seminar that people pay money for is BS, especially if it's costing more than $50. or/and you have to buy additional materials. information is free, all anyone gotta do is find it.

I have to disagree with this comment to a degree.

The purpose of going to a legitimate seminar is to learn something in the least amount of time possible. Sure you could probably learn it on your own, but at the cost of TIME. (Time being your most precious commodity.)

For example, lets say that I had an interest in learning internet marketing and I have no prior knowledge on the matter whatsoever. And let's say I have a choice between two options to learn what it is that I need to know to become a success in internet marketing:

1) I can try to learn it on my own for the next 12 months by reading articles off the web in my spare time for FREE, and still be a complete novice at the end of that 12 month period. Or

2) I can attend a 3 day seminar that JonLeeHacker is hosting for $5,000 and have a solid foundation to begin starting my business.

If I had the cash (or could charge it :)) and was SERIOUS about doing this as a business, I would without a doubt choose option #2 for a number of reasons including: the time value of money, the networking benefit of a seminar like this, and by learning from someone that is actually walking the talk, not just making his money teaching seminars.

That's where I see a seminar CAN be a benefit. Obviously Kiyosaki's does not fit into this category.

Edit: While I was busy typing (sorry, I'm a slow typer) looks like Jon beat me to the punch with this point. :D

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, the attitude of the instructor reminds me of a meeting we had just a few years ago w/RK . . .

From the video above:

"If you don't like what I'm saying, LEAVE."

"If you the guts to say something, say it to my face. And if you say it's too expensive- LEAVE."

Russ H.

I thought I heard the words "you are losers" somewhere in the video and it brought back memories! :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Wow, LOVED the "$32,000,000 mobile home park" the instructor bragged about. . .

. . . that didn't exist.

-Russ H.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
At 6:52 it looks like someone gets up and leaves LOL :rofl:

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
I have to disagree with this comment to a degree.

The purpose of going to a legitimate seminar is to learn something in the least amount of time possible. Sure you could probably learn it on your own, but at the cost of TIME. (Time being your most precious commodity.)

For example, lets say that I had an interest in learning internet marketing and I have no prior knowledge on the matter whatsoever. And let's say I have a choice between two options to learn what it is that I need to know to become a success in internet marketing:

1) I can try to learn it on my own for the next 12 months by reading articles off the web in my spare time for FREE, and still be a complete novice at the end of that 12 month period. Or

2) I can attend a 3 day seminar that JonLeeHacker is hosting for $5,000 and have a solid foundation to begin starting my business.

If I had the cash (or could charge it :)) and was SERIOUS about doing this as a business, I would without a doubt choose option #2 for a number of reasons including: the time value of money, the networking benefit of a seminar like this, and by learning from someone that is actually walking the talk, not just making his money teaching seminars.

That's where I see a seminar CAN be a benefit. Obviously Kiyosaki's does not fit into this category.

Edit: While I was busy typing (sorry, I'm a slow typer) looks like Jon beat me to the punch with this point. :D

Great point. Speed ++ Seminars saves you time which is something that you can't get back in order to achieve your goal.

Tom

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I have been following this thread since the very beginning reading every comment. I watched the video in its entirety and I am not shocked. Rich Dad Poor Dad is the book that started my financial education and I proceeded to read more of his books.

3 years ago, if I attended one of these seminars I would of agreed to the information he said. Now, not at all. As Sparlin states, Greed plays a big factor in this. Many of the attendees, read Rich Dad Poor Dad and are ready to get rich. They are ready to build and acquire assets. Some are willing to do whatever it takes and will get hooked by the illusion that this speaker did it and is just telling the cold hard facts. What the presenter is really doing is intimidating the people and using his "power" to convince the people that he is a big shot and if people don't agree with what he does, they will fail and never succeed. It is somewhat of a brainwash IMO. This fear overshadows their regular thought process and they begin to make decisions to spend a couple grand to learn even more. And who is at the top collecting? Yup, you guessed it.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Wow, LOVED the "$32,000,000 mobile home park" the instructor bragged about. . .

. . . that didn't exist.

-Russ H.

Hey now... it's a mobile home park! Maybe it moved! ... I'll be here all week folks :groove:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Now my sides are hurting!

Could be something Matt partnered on.
It just won't be showing up for a few more days.:rofl:

Or just slept in a little? hehehe love ya Matt

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I haven't been able to watch the video but some friends of ours attended a seminar where they teach you how to hold a successful seminar. From what they told me about the course and from what other people have posted about the video, I guess they teach you how to be a jerk too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.