The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Respect this Forum or Lose It

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
When you want to learn something.... when you want to be successful at something... it can be tempting to find a successful person, and copy them. It can actually be a great way to learn. It is how kids learn. They observe all those over sized people around them, and then they copy the behavior.

You can make great strides by emulating others...

Learn how to communicate
Learn how to analyze a deal
Learn how to make business decisions

However, there is a limit to what you should copy.... at some point.... you need to find your own way.

Let me ask you some questions:

• Do you enjoy visiting this forum?
  • Have you found an idea here that got you thinking about the possibilities?
  • What have you learned from the people that post here?
  • Have you made a friend or two?
  • Dare I ask... Has this forum changed your life?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then answer this one:

What do you think would happen to this forum if the members here didn't feel respected?

Would they take the time to write a post?
Would they share their knowledge?
Would they give answers to your questions?

Or would this place turn into another internet junkyard?

So...

If someone shares a success, don't try to take the idea. Take the knowledge instead and apply it to your own idea.

If someone mentors you, whether it is directly or indirectly through this forum, support them... don't compete with them.

If someone teaches you how to fish, go find your own pond to fish in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
When you want to learn something.... when you want to be successful at something... it can be tempting to find a successful person, and copy them. It can actually be a great way to learn. It is how kids learn. They observe all those over sized people around them, and then they copy the behavior.

Learn how to communicate

However, there is a limit to what you should copy.... at some point.... you need to find your own way.

What do you think would happen to this forum if the members here didn't feel respected?

So...

If someone shares a success, don't try to take the idea. Take the knowledge instead and apply it to your own idea.

If someone mentors you, whether it is directly or indirectly through this forum, support them... don't compete with them.

Excellent.:iagree:

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
I agree with what you said; and although I am unaware of the situation(s) that sparked this thread, I am upset to hear that they have occured and that we we could be in danger of losing very valuable members because of it.

I am sure that many of the very successful (and valuable) people on this board (the millionaires, the ones already in the "Fast Lane" have much better things to do then spend their time advising people who will end up trying to use them as stepping stones on thier own way up the ladder. Due to the whole premise of this site; that is by FAR the most unfortunate thing that could happen to this forum, and I hope that those situations (and those members) are stopped before the "Fast Laner's" stop posting..and stop teaching those of us who truly WANT to learn how to make it on our own.

Good thread aroundtheworld...Im sorry you had to post it though.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
+rep

Much respect to everyone involved in this forum. :hl:

Especially PhxMJ for getting it started.
:roi:

Does that mean that I can't have a self storage facility in Montana?

Mr. Pink

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Dang, that's unfortunate.
Like peeing in the pool you're swimming in
(and yes, I know that some people do that too).

On a lighter note,
if folks want to buy stocks of the companies I just purchased,
please go right ahead.
(Though Jonleehacker may lose money if you do
but considering how much he should have made shorting my stock picks,
he can stand to lose a couple dollars.)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Does that mean that I can't have a self storage facility in Montana?

Mr. Pink

LOL.

I would love for people to start self storage... it seems like such a no brainer to me...

Just don't do it in my territory (unless you are my partner!) or I will squash you!! :boxing_smiley:
(not that this happened)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
It is really just a common sense thing.

Do a gut check.

Your gut will tell you what if what you are doing is right or wrong.... ethical or not ethical.

There is a difference between learning from and competing with.

There is a difference between absorbing knowledge and taking from someone else.

You have to ask.... will this idea/business be in direct competition with my mentor?

If it will be, pass on it.
In the end, you will be much more prosperous by living your life this way.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I have worried about sharing some of the details of my plans and ideas, because the people here are inherently more driven than typical folks. But you guys taught me that NDAs are not the answer. Entrepreneurship isn't a zero-sum game: you can win, and I can win, and there's still more for someone else to win.

I hope no one has been hurt by the sharing of ideas. If so, I'm sure anyone on this forum is mature enough to make it right.

mizchels

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
St. John, USVI
You guys have all my respect. I feel like a 5-year old, sitting cross-legged on the floor, staring with my mouth gaping open as I listen (read) your posts. I hope that whatever shadow may have fallen to inspire this thread is lightened by the rest of the energy here.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
YIKES!! Not sure what lit this fire, but yeah, what she said! lol

I try to respect everyone here and hope everyone else does the same. Definately don't want to break the learning circle here. After all, you tend to learn the most when helping someone else. Thanks EVERYONE, for all that you do!

This place has changed my life! To all the members, please let it change another by respecting the requests made here!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Just to be clear...

99% of the things that are shared here are meant to be used and applied in your life. Please - - - take the ideas and improve your life.

Just don't play in your mentor's turf.

I hope the distinction is clear. (???)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I have worried about sharing some of the details of my plans and ideas, because the people here are inherently more driven than typical folks. But you guys taught me that NDAs are not the answer. Entrepreneurship isn't a zero-sum game: you can win, and I can win, and there's still more for someone else to win.

I hope no one has been hurt by the sharing of ideas. If so, I'm sure anyone on this forum is mature enough to make it right.

I have to agree with you here Skyler. As a matter of fact, I have been dying to get some input on a few ebiz developments I have been working on, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I must admit, I was excited to post in the speedway, as I thought many would like to hear and criticize (my favorite part) a few ideas. But even though ideas vs. execution is preached often, I still have my concerns. In this particular setting, it would seem an NDA isn't worth anymore than you can throw it. I suppose spending ridiculous amounts of time and money could work.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Mtmman:

The way I see it, ideas are cheap. I'm awakened in the night with a brilliant concept, jump online to see if the domain is available, and *DAMN* somebody's already doing this thing. The letdown blows, but I get over it, only because the idea came so easily.

I've got dozens of company concepts in my little Moleskine notebook, so if one gets ripped off (or 10 or 100), fine. We are creative people, and competitors are just part of the game.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Ya know, you have a point. I guess I have a hard time making that switch because I see the value in each one. But I can't argue that my 70 plus idea book wouldn't be phased. I can see the validity in a book of ideas being worthless, as they are nothing more than a book of ideas.

Thanks!

Why this never hit home before, I have no idea. Epiphany? You bet!
Similar to loving money, instead of the process, responsibility, or benefits I suppose.

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!

Last edited:

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Great Point, JScott...

It is all about building relationships - not breaking relationships.

Sometimes it might seem like the payoff for breaking a relationship will bring you what you desire. But if you live your life that way, you will fall short of your potential, and you will die alone.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Would it be possible to come up with a non-offensive joking term for this community to remind people when they're posting with a negative mindset? I mean like something along the lines of saying in reply to a negative post "man, that's slow lane thinking!" and just leaving it at that rather than getting embroiled in an argument.

I know that I criticize a lot, but I come from an environment rife with criticism; graphic design and marketing communication. Growth comes from positive notes.

If someone's being a dink, can we just call it out with a joking "Slowlane Mindset:smash:" and move on with the topic?

Or was this in reference to something more serious?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would it be possible to come up with a non-offensive joking term for this community to remind people when they're posting with a negative mindset? I mean like something along the lines of saying in reply to a negative post "man, that's slow lane thinking!" and just leaving it at that rather than getting embroiled in an argument.

I know that I criticize a lot, but I come from an environment rife with criticism; graphic design and marketing communication. Growth comes from positive notes.

If someone's being a dink, can we just call it out with a joking "Slowlane Mindset:smash:" and move on with the topic?

Or was this in reference to something more serious?

I believe this is something going on behind the scenes; not an actual posting that we all can reference. BTW, speed++ ATW!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Learn how to communicate

So...

ATW, I'm glad you brought this up because my concern was that one person can ruin it for everyone. Everyone at the B&P meeting was very forthcoming with information about their businesses and investments. If presenters feel that there is even the slight possibility of someone in the meeting copying their ideas or business, they will not present anymore.

While I think it's fine to ask people here for help or assistance. I also think that there is a line you shouldn't cross. Once you cross it, your integrity is gone and nobody will help you anymore.

Imagine if I asked ATW for advice on building self storage and then I ask for contacts for equipment, contractors and vendors. I think that this is all fine and dandy.

But then I ask about vacant land property availability within a 10 mile radius of her facilities and info about which bank she used and then some financial info. But don't worry, I'm just using this information for "research" purposes.

The successful people on this forum aren't stupid. They can see right through the questions and lies. They know exactly what your intentions are. I think that its an insult to all members of this forum to think that you can pull something like that off.

Sorry, I just had to rant.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I agree with Bio and everything above. On the Rich Dad forums I shared some information about one of my businesses once a few years back -- and had 5 people trying to copy me within 6 months, funnelling off some 80% of my business. Thankfully, they didn't last and I was able to outlast them and regain my marketshare.... These people might buy something from you, just so they can tear apart your product and try to locate your suppliers, and undercut you -- or they might try to copy your website. Bottom line is that they are scumbags, and ungrateful -- and they should be ashamed of themselves.

:hurray:

- Hakrjak

p.s.

Somebody PM me with the details on this. I'd love to know the story behind the story here!

kingwizard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 19, 2008
Texas
Even though I have not been here a long time, I give my repects to all the top money makers on this forum. Its sad to see that some people would rather "steal" than to come up with their own ideas to prosper in life. Hope we can move on from this and continue to make this forum the best it can be.
To the future! :smx9:

Talkintoy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 4, 2007
California
This made me think of this famous quote:

'If I give you a pfennig, you will be one pfennig richer and I'll be one pfennig poorer. But if I give you an idea, you will have a new idea, but I shall still have it, too.' Albert Einstein

Don't know if this applies in here, anyways i thought its a great quote!:tiphat:

rzach41

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 23, 2007
Just wanted to let you know that us "youngsters" are learning a great deal that traditional college would never teach us. We are learning real life practical information, something we never learned in the traditional education system.

logef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Feb 19, 2008
In my experience it is hard to find a gathering of so many successful people in real life(perhaps I just don't have many entrepreneurs in my social circle) and they are less willing to help you or share their success stories with you(may have something to do with physical proximity and the feeling that you may copy their ideas in the same locale). I have learned a lot from this forum and would hate to have something spoil it.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
ATW, I'm glad you brought this up because my concern was that one person can ruin it for everyone. Everyone at the B&P meeting was very forthcoming with information about their businesses and investments. If presenters feel that there is even the slight possibility of someone in the meeting copying their ideas or business, they will not present anymore.

While I think it's fine to ask people here for help or assistance. I also think that there is a line you shouldn't cross. Once you cross it, your integrity is gone and nobody will help you anymore.

Imagine if I asked ATW for advice on building self storage and then I ask for contacts for equipment, contractors and vendors. I think that this is all fine and dandy.

But then I ask about vacant land property availability within a 10 mile radius of her facilities and info about which bank she used and then some financial info. But don't worry, I'm just using this information for "research" purposes.

The successful people on this forum aren't stupid. They can see right through the questions and lies. They know exactly what your intentions are. I think that its an insult to all members of this forum to think that you can pull something like that off.

Sorry, I just had to rant.

Absolutly, equal value exchange should be the aim of these kinds of forums. Not one way exchanges.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007

Well, if I'm being a dink,
simply call me a dink,
and be done with it.
Don't wrap it up in some sugar coating fancy schmancy term.

Though I personally prefer jacka$$.

I wouldn't have gotten this far in life
with a thin skin.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
In my experience it is hard to find a gathering of so many successful people in real life(perhaps I just don't have many entrepreneurs in my social circle) and they are less willing to help you or share their success stories with you(may have something to do with physical proximity and the feeling that you may copy their ideas in the same locale). I have learned a lot from this forum and would hate to have something spoil it.

Its not just hard, its near IMPOSSIBLE. You could go to an investors club meet or try and associate with millionaires on your own, but nowhere else on the net is there a place where a college kid with NO net worth can not only associate with someone in "Fast Lane" status, but actually interact and get ideas or advice from them as a stranger!! A place where millionaires are willing to help you, mentor you and share their path of success on an everyday basis is a rare find, and hopefully members here will never take that for granted. :)

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
ATW... did my mom help you write the title for this thread? :)

:bartmoon:

Ah. I feel better now.

I had to do something totally inappropriate just to show myself that I'm not turning into my own mother!!!

My poor kids.

:bartmoon:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!