The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rereading MJ's book.. possible contradiction? Also lost/rant

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
MJ Bashes LOA (Law of Attraction) in his book, but a few chapters later, talks about Choice of Perception. When he was a child, he dreamed about owning a lambo once he saw it. I feel like the choice of perception is the belief that leads you to take action. Isn't the law of attraction quite similar to the choice of perception?

By the way I'm currently a pretty "Successful" slowlaner and I tried my best to get to where I'm at today but ever since I read this book I feel like I've really failed myself.. Is it just me? I am starting to see the cracks in my work, where I recently negotiated for returning to a company because I previously gave them immense value for my experience level. The result? They are no longer in contact with me. Not even a "No, final deal", not even a "Sorry, never mind".

I feel like a king when I work under a company and free to make mistakes and give it my all but when I try to create for myself I feel like such a wimp and it has taken me years to pull the trigger on even looking for an idea to make/ business to create for myself. It's like there's a big invisible barrier in my head that's been built by school and my perfect GPA (which I'm still attending and I'm scared to go back because I might be brainwashed for good, even though they teach very useful subjects). Why is it so hard? Is Choice of Action what I'm missing or is there something else?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I believe in visualization followed by focused action. The Law of Attraction has been co-opted to appeal to dreamers who will remain dreamers. However, I can see how some might perceive a contradiction. Belief is indeed, essential.

By the way I'm currently a pretty "Successful" slowlaner

Are you happy?

If so, then perhaps you don't need the Fastlane, or self-employment. It isn't for everyone, and I recognize happiness is subjective. You can be terribly happy at a job, making a good income, and pouring your cash into the stock market.

Only you truly know if you feel you are under-performing your capabilities and complacent in comfort.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I am not sure you can figure this out intellectually.

If you insist, I suggest looking into how your sense of "identity" can be shaped by your routines and actions (in my case that happens on a fully subconscious level), rather than by your beliefs. Most people say fixing their beliefs made a difference, so probably I am an outlier in that regard.

It might be better to take a leap of faith and think in terms of momentum. You need to make sure you regularly have moments where you feel like a king while working on your business ... or while you "create on your own", as you put it.
The old mode will be in motion for a long time try to pull you back into your old routines, but over time your fastlane identity should gain momentum. For me personally I realized that removing impediments is an important aspect of that. I love The Great Rat-Race Escape because it takes you through the emotions and sentiments of certain stages of the journey.

Are you familiar with the 1/5/10 Planasy concept? Not sure which book it was introduced in, but there will be an app for that: GoalSumo.com - Setting and Hitting Goals has Never Been Easier
Such a framework should help with the "identity" aspect over time: MINDSET - NY Resolutions? No, try making a 1/5/10 Planasy

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Listen to Earl Nightingale "we become what we think about".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPfD4-vtgs&ab_channel=AbhijeetMeshram

A ship gets where it's going because it has a captain, a map, a plan, a compass, an engine, a rudder, and it expects to get somewhere. A ship floating along in the ocean will end up crashed on the shore if it lets the wind blow it whichever direction. The same goes for a human being.

But humans are not taught the same lesson as a ship captain would. It is less apparent and misunderstood.

You have to have a clear image of where you are going. You start with an ideal, a feeling (intangible). That feeling turns into a goal, something you want (more tangible) . That goal turns into a plan when we look at where we are now and see the steps in between points A and B. That plan breaks down further into a to-do list and then we work and focus until the to-do list is done, the plan is executed, the dream is accomplished.

When you at least dream, you are completing the first step and a little of the second step. MJ seems to focus more on the practicalities of accomplishing the plan, since it's fair to assume a good goal to have is to be wealthy, young, and have a business. As much as he hates law of attraction, I think it's very close to the same thing, just zoomed out and less specific. More "top of funnel". Now, if anyone says that all you have to do is picture something in your mind and the universe will automatically give it to you in an obvious, ridiculous way without you having to work, then that's bullshit. What happens is having a specific goal and idea in your mind will open up your ability to spot opportunities, like how when you buy a new car, you see them everywhere now. Having a clear image in your mind will steer your life towards that idea, and you will be given success by getting the vision of what you need to do, because you are more receptive to things that will take you in that direction.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMw3Mo6aLxI&ab_channel=SingoLi

It works the same way. When you have a clear image in your mind, the work still needs to be done, but the ideas will come to you like the men in the boats. If you sit around and think the law of attraction (god) will save you, it will be a mistake. The law of attraction is sending you the boats (opportunities).

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
I believe in visualization followed by focused action. The Law of Attraction has been co-opted to appeal to dreamers who will remain dreamers. However, I can see how some might perceive a contradiction. Belief is indeed, essential.

Are you happy?

If so, then perhaps you don't need the Fastlane, or self-employment. It isn't for everyone, and I recognize happiness is subjective. You can be terribly happy at a job, making a good income, and pouring your cash into the stock market.

Only you truly know if you feel you are under-performing your capabilities and complacent in comfort.
Hey MJ,

I wouldn't say I'm always happy at work. There are days when I think how silly it is that I can't say what I mean in a work environment and I can't be myself because some people are sensitive. I like that it's comfortable money but I don't like the sleepless nights that I get over work drama. I'm not afraid to take action academically or make a passion project, but when it comes to business, there's resistance. Maybe it's because I have been consuming "How To" content for years and haven't sat for hours to think of valuable inventions or skews. I want to take action with my free time and all I need is small results, that's all it usually takes for me. I'm rereading your books, searching the forum, and I've massively cut down on time wasters. I hope this starts to snowball into action I don't want to be a faker.

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
Are you familiar with the 1/5/10 Planasy concept? Not sure which book it was introduced in, but there will be an app for that: GoalSumo.com - Setting and Hitting Goals has Never Been Easier
Such a framework should help with the "identity" aspect over time: MINDSET - NY Resolutions? No, try making a 1/5/10 Planasy
Yes, I'm familiar with this but thanks for bringing it up! I haven't been taking it as seriously as I should have but I have it written with vague detail, especially for my 10-year visualization. I need to be a bit more consistent in rechecking it too and making my daily goals.

Thanks

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
Listen to Earl Nightingale "we become what we think about".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPfD4-vtgs&ab_channel=AbhijeetMeshram

Now, if anyone says that all you have to do is picture something in your mind and the universe will automatically give it to you in an obvious, ridiculous way without you having to work, then that's bullshit. What happens is having a specific goal and idea in your mind will open up your ability to spot opportunities, like how when you buy a new car, you see them everywhere now. Having a clear image in your mind will steer your life towards that idea, and you will be given success by getting the vision of what you need to do, because you are more receptive to things that will take you in that direction.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMw3Mo6aLxI&ab_channel=SingoLi

It works the same way. When you have a clear image in your mind, the work still needs to be done, but the ideas will come to you like the men in the boats. If you sit around and think the law of attraction (god) will save you, it will be a mistake. The law of attraction is sending you the boats (opportunities).
Thanks Johnny Boy! I used to listen to Earl Nightingale's video a few years back, but I used it to motivate myself to study for class. I don't see why it wouldn't work for starting a business.

To your point of ideas coming to me when I'm focused on a plan, I sure hope so. I'm not perfect yet in managing my free time but I've been improving a lot. One thing I can say for sure is I see movies and social media very differently when I analyze if wasting my time watching a vid is worth it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't say I'm always happy at work.

Hmm, I think a good litmus test is Sunday night. Are you excited about the week? Are you OK? Or do you feel dour?

For me, every day feels the same, and I'm excited about every day.

That said, I still do a lot of work and things that I don't enjoy. My day is not filled with passion, but overall, I would call myself extremely happy and generally excited, and a day of the week--Sunday, Tuesday, Monday--nothing changes that.

lol

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 1, 2022
Hmm, I think a good litmus test is Sunday night. Are you excited about the week? Are you OK? Or do you feel dour?
There are days when I'm excited on Sunday night, but most Sunday nights can be dour. What I enjoy most is the people I tend to meet at work. I like that I learn new things but what I hate most is having to compete with colleagues to show the big boss I can make more money for the company. I always find it aggravating (competing to make money for someone else in control) but I still "have" to do it, for now at least.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...