The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reinventing the chainsaw....

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Chainsaws, spinning blades that are dangerous and require protection to use.

The blades are loud, you hold it in your hands, and they can come out and hurt you...and they take some energy. Better than the saw...but how can it get better?

How would you re-inent the chainsaw?

Is there a better, more efficient way to cut down trees?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I am taking this question at face value -
Reciprocating saws are pretty good put can be limited. Certainly the oscillating/ reciprocating action is a relatively safe alternatively to a chain saw.

Another option I would like to see is a braked motor linked to either an accelerometer, inclinometer or some torque measure so that if at any stage the chain saw it out of control the motor is braked immediately. The normal dead man's switch aren't good enough. Defining out-of-control or unsafe operation would be an issue.

I also recall seeing a system I think for cutting rocks where you threaded a cutting chain through a pre cut hole. A machine would draw the cutting chain and cut the rock. I could see this being extrapolated to cutting trees where the cutting chain was wrapper around the outside of tree and the chain was reciprocated and gradually tightened as it cut into the tree. This could be operated remotely.

I love a challenge on Friday.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
"Andrew's Friday Brain Booster Challenge"

:)
I was meditating and then they started using a chainsaw down the street.

A quite chain saw.

Then I turned off the meditation music and began meditating to the sound of the chainsaw...

[HASHTAG]#BoulderLife[/HASHTAG]

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
My slow lane touches on this industry. Amazing, and at the same time alarm, how quickly they can take a tree down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Having done a quick Google search, I saw that chainsaws are most dangerous when the blade is blunt.
A sharp blade will produce chips and a blunt blade will produce more sawdust.
I'd add some kind of saw dust filter/switch to keep an eye on the sawdust being produced.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
I think it was Lincoln that said if you have an hour to cut down a tree, spend 45 mins sharpening the ax. Make one with a self sharpener.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I am a total sissy girly man when it comes to chainsaws :nailbiting:. I have no interest whatsoever in ever even holding one.

I'm with @Kung Fu Steve .... laser would be fun.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
A lot of guys lose fingers every year to the common table saw, due either to getting distracted, or ignorance (born out of the decline of the high school shop class, but don't get me started).

Anyway, a company called SawStop came up with a great improvement. Their table saw is the same general form, but it has a sensor built in where, if it "notices" that the blade hits flesh, it immediately freezes the blade. Cool stuff.

So I think a similar system for the chain saw could be good.

Otherwise... lasers.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
What about something like a Jack Hammer, but easily held with a sharp end at the end of the "jack hammer". The end would need to be sharpened like an axe, but maybe this automatic axe would be better than a chain saw for safety reasons.

Also, have you seen automatic can openers now ( no, not the kind that sits under your cabinet ), but the ones that latch on to the top of your can and rotate around on their own? Maybe you could take a saw that latches to the tree and goes around and around until it cuts it down on its own. It could have a self sharpener on it and just go round and round and round until it cuts the tree in half.

If you use these, I want 10% royalty for life.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
What about something that has its own stand where you input in width of tree and where you want it to fall ( direction ) and once you hit start it sits on its own stand and starts cutting the tree and you walk away from it?

Think of it as a chansaw on its own sturdy stand with a programmable input device to tell it where the tree is, how wide it is and what direction it needs to fall.

It cuts the perfect cut into the tree ( top cut, bottom cut, and even the back cut ) to send the tree falling in whatever direction is needed and also you get to stand away and be nowhere near the cutting itself. Self-sharpening also

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Stop over complicating things :cool:

main.php

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.