The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Union trade vs real estate agent

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Are you trying to go "fastlane?"

Learning a trade can lead you to a business. Joining a union will lead you to a job. In fact, I'm not sure what being a union member is like because we don't have unions here, but if you want to become an "owner," you want to be friends with management and other owners to learn from them.

Becoming a real estate agent can teach you business and investment skills. But it's also a job.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Are you trying to go "fastlane?"

Learning a trade can lead you to a business. Joining a union will lead you to a job. In fact, I'm not sure what being a union member is like because we don't have unions here, but if you want to become an "owner," you want to be friends with management and other owners to learn from them.

Becoming a real estate agent can teach you business and investment skills. But it's also a job.
Im in the electricians union now but maybe deciding to leave and become an agent

what would be fast lane with all of this..owning a business in one of them?

Harp66742

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 11, 2021
Sheboygan, WI
I am currently a union tradesman. I have been thinking of real estate as well. One thing I can say about unions is that unless you really f*ck up, you will definitely have a job. That being said, get used to all the petty squabbles, whining, bickering, and flat out laziness of said union members. Not everyone will fit this category but a vast majority do.

I grew up with a strong work ethic. My father was career military and taught me the best way he knew how. Work for what you want. Dont expect a handout. I have always done this (maybe not in the right areas) and have never had to rely on anyone giving me anything. To this day its hard for me to accept help. But after being in the union trades far almost 7 years...I want out. I am done trying to appease my corporate overlords who would have my job posted before my obituary, should something terrible happen. I have had it with trying to work with a bunch of lazy, arrogant, "do this for me so I dont have to work today" spoiled brats.

I apologize for the rant. I understand that you are looking for honest advice on which path to take. I cannot decide for you. All I can do is give you some insight as to what I deal with on a daily basis.

While the trade unions do pay well for an hourly job(I make around 75-80k/yr) I am not altogether impressed with the way they are run. In my particular case, 2.5 hours of labor are paid to the union each month as "dues" In my case that almost $100 a month or $1200 a year. And for what? To be part of something with questionable tactics and motives? No thanks.

As far as the real estate thing, I am looking at that as another income source once I can finally unscript myself and break free of this monotony. This is just my opinion though.

I hope this helps

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
I am currently a union tradesman. I have been thinking of real estate as well. One thing I can say about unions is that unless you really f*ck up, you will definitely have a job. That being said, get used to all the petty squabbles, whining, bickering, and flat out laziness of said union members. Not everyone will fit this category but a vast majority do.

I grew up with a strong work ethic. My father was career military and taught me the best way he knew how. Work for what you want. Dont expect a handout. I have always done this (maybe not in the right areas) and have never had to rely on anyone giving me anything. To this day its hard for me to accept help. But after being in the union trades far almost 7 years...I want out. I am done trying to appease my corporate overlords who would have my job posted before my obituary, should something terrible happen. I have had it with trying to work with a bunch of lazy, arrogant, "do this for me so I dont have to work today" spoiled brats.

I apologize for the rant. I understand that you are looking for honest advice on which path to take. I cannot decide for you. All I can do is give you some insight as to what I deal with on a daily basis.

While the trade unions do pay well for an hourly job(I make around 75-80k/yr) I am not altogether impressed with the way they are run. In my particular case, 2.5 hours of labor are paid to the union each month as "dues" In my case that almost $100 a month or $1200 a year. And for what? To be part of something with questionable tactics and motives? No thanks.

As far as the real estate thing, I am looking at that as another income source once I can finally unscript myself and break free of this monotony. This is just my opinion though.

I hope this helps
Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it

ive been in the electricians union for 6 yrs now and with the traveling to the city(im in ny btw) adds extra stress and the job isnt all that. Its a great trade dont get me wrong and the benefits are awesome. I just feel like i can do more with being an agent and at the same time it would be near my house, eliminates the stress of traveling a hr and half sometimes 2 hrs of traffic. Sometimes also arent really treated well with alm the competition of non union taking the job at a lowered rate

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I hope this helps
We own a business with trade workers who make that much and higher and we are anti-union. No unions here. We still pay even higher than that, full benefits.

OP, what I mean is that the skills and knowledge you gain are more valuable than the job.

As an electrician, if you learn to sell well and perform freelance services, you have the potential for a multimillion dollar business.

You will need to do some online marketing, list in the newspaper classifieds, and hire more workers. That way you can get projects from homeowners and builders and whoever else hires electrician businesses for work.

That’s how you break free of a capped salary and explode your income potential.

Be the boss.

Harp66742

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 11, 2021
Sheboygan, WI
I agree with @thechosen1 that the skills you learn in the trade are invaluable. I would add that instead of looking to be a real estate agent, hone your selling skills and contract your business out to them via inspections, repairs, etc. That would be one way to break out of the mold.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.