The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Read this Copy...You'll never be the same.

Anything related to matters of the mind

LouieLouie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
May 30, 2014
Fort Collins Colorado
I put a motorhome I own up on craigslist to sell....

.....I just copied and pasted the reply I got right out of my email.

I read this and it made me really sad.....

It made me realize how we can end up in a place we never thought we would if we don't understand

Destiny = Choices Today * compound over time

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I am a single disabled mom. I have scolosis, arthsis, Lupus, Bradicardic, chronic migraines, fibermalasia. I also have a 8 year old autistic child that is very high functioning. We have been living in Greeley since the beginning of February. I stayed in Parachute for about six months when I had a two week notice that I needed to move. I had to move to Parachute because I had lost the two year battle to buy the mobile home my ex sold out from under me in Oregon. I had nine days to get ready to leave. I could not keep reliable roommates.

I do have service pets. Three dogs, fixed chocolate lab/collie mix 4 years old, non fixed Weiner dog 2 years old, fixed snouzer mix 12 years old. We also have a 20 pound fixed Tom cat (that misses the outside) 5 years old, and a two pound fixed tabby. I also have an abino dove that is ten years old and tht stays in his cage. I am very clean and can you referrance. We like to take the dogs out at least four times a day.

I am currently on disablity and about to lose the place we have now. I make $831 a month. So we have been unable to find a place we can afford. We tend to stick to ourselves and are homebodies unlesss we have appointments. I homeschool and am hoping to figure out transportation too. I do not own a car and do not know my way around. With a RV we can drive and park where we need to.

What would the deposit be? Right now my phone service is not working. I am unable to walk to the nearest T-Mobile (5 miles away) at the moment, so as soon as I get to them I will hopefully get it fixed. SO right now I am using my email.

I could really used some help right now!! Would you consider payments?

I have references if needed.

Please and Thank You

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It made me realize how we can end up in a place we never thought we would if we don't understand

Destiny = Choices Today * compound over time

I disagreed with you at first. Some people are plagued by illnesses, and it's just bad luck. Not their fault.

But then I read this:

"I do have service pets. Three dogs, fixed chocolate lab/collie mix 4 years old, non fixed Weiner dog 2 years old, fixed snouzer mix 12 years old. We also have a 20 pound fixed Tom cat (that misses the outside) 5 years old, and a two pound fixed tabby. I also have an abino dove that is ten years old and tht stays in his cage."​

And I saw your point.

I love dogs and most pets, but find it distressing when people can't take care of themselves yet own pets. Pet ownership is a great thing, but sometimes it's necessary to look out for yourself first before affording pets.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
Right now my phone service is not working. I am unable to walk to the nearest T-Mobile (5 miles away) at the moment, so as soon as I get to them I will hopefully get it fixed. SO right now I am using my email.

I feel ashamed of myself so much that, it's beyond words.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
My dad told me that the three pillars of poverty are 1. Owning pets you can't afford 2. Smoking cigarettes 3. Paying for TV when you can barely afford to feed yourself.

This is a pretty unfortunate situation though. What do you think you will do?

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
"I do have service pets. Three dogs, fixed chocolate lab/collie mix 4 years old, non fixed Weiner dog 2 years old, fixed snouzer mix 12 years old. We also have a 20 pound fixed Tom cat (that misses the outside) 5 years old, and a two pound fixed tabby. I also have an abino dove that is ten years old and tht stays in his cage."

She could rent these out for live performances of The Twelve Days of Christmas and make a killing.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Reminds me of the fact that I am working hard to ensure I am never in that situation. That is my goal.

My family (i'm moved out) is doing very badly financially, and yet every time I go home they are running the air con full blast, buying desserts and coffee pods. Poor choices compound poor circumstances.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
What should I do.......?
What's the RV worth to you? Not just dollars and cents, but opportunity costs if you don't get anything for it (worst case).

I think of it this way. I'm building a business. I'm working to get myself and my family to a position where I can give much more to others in the future. By trying to help one person now, how long will this helping hand delay that end goal? I don't mean that in a selfish way, only that by helping this person now, how many people am I comprising my ability to help in the future?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
This is a tough decision my friend, @LouieLouie . Help as much as you can, but you can only help so much. You have to think about yourself first. As @LateStarter said, will this hinder your growth, getting to that end game goal? If you can't provide her a house, you may be able to help her out in some other way. You may be able to offer her some other homes that may be open, or give her some advice. I don't know your situation and what you can provide, but think about how it will effect you, then make your decision.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Politely thank her for the offer and tell her that you cannot take payments, that the motor home must be paid for in full.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
I'm sorry to say this since it seems like you believe her, but this is likely a scam.

Did she sign her full name? Try pulling up a FB. I have been selling online for over a decade and these kinds of scams are common, and much easier to figure out now due to the prevalence of social media. Scammers will send out the same blanket email to 100s of people hoping one bites. They are very common on eBay and more on Craigslist.

I constantly receive eBay messages asking me to send a free item (or they offer "I can pay shipping!") because the person has cancer, or their kid is autistic. I highly recommend you do not respond to her, or if you do, say something like "Sorry for your problems, payment must be in full, no payments."

If she really is sick, there are social programs, charities, family, and friends to help her.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
I just re-read the post again and this time I caught it: fibermalasia.

That's directly copied from the OP which is directly copied from the email right? It's spelled wrong. If a person actually has a condition, I'm pretty sure they'd know how to spell it. I have never in my life spelled "migraine" incorrectly after having suffered from migraines for over 15 years. Had one today even, someone should send me some money.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
I disagreed with you at first. Some people are plagued by illnesses, and it's just bad luck. Not their fault.

But then I read this:

"I do have service pets. Three dogs, fixed chocolate lab/collie mix 4 years old, non fixed Weiner dog 2 years old, fixed snouzer mix 12 years old. We also have a 20 pound fixed Tom cat (that misses the outside) 5 years old, and a two pound fixed tabby. I also have an abino dove that is ten years old and tht stays in his cage."​

And I saw your point.

I love dogs and most pets, but find it distressing when people can't take care of themselves yet own pets. Pet ownership is a great thing, but sometimes it's necessary to look out for yourself first before affording pets.

If what she claims is true then she may be having all those pets to compensate for something in her life maybe?

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
If what she claims is true then she may be having all those pets to compensate for something in her life maybe?
Pet ownership is as close to instant gratification as it gets for someone who wants a companion. No dating/courtship, no fear of rejection, no need to improve oneself for acceptance...

Sovereign

Spinning wheels in place
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jul 5, 2015
As Bananas has pointed out
I just re-read the post again and this time I caught it: fibermalasia.
And there are a few more:
- scoliosis (warped spine, many people nowdays have a mild version)
- arthritis (so common...)
- bradycardic
- fibromyalgia

It could be a scam, though misspelling what you have could be just a sign of low education or depression which can be from fibromyalgia.

Going back to scams: there is organized crime which exploits people like this (people who others will take pity on). People like this woman beg and look pitiful, good people give them money/things and then a ''boss'' comes around in his Mercedes to pick up the loot.
If this is the case you won't be doing her any favors.

Another thing to consider:
Why did she write all that? Doesn't that scream ''sense of entitlement''?
''Give me X because you had it better than i did!''

I've met more than a few people with problems like she does and far worse.
You can give them anything but it won't help as long as they don't change their mentality, just like an average lotto winner they will lose what you give them in a matter of months.
No matter your physical state and the hand you were dealt, your situation can be improved if you work on it instead of whine.

Best you can do is to offer her to teach her to ''fish'' and see what response you get.
Give her a ''fish'' and she'll likely be begging you for it again soon.

Luke.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jan 13, 2016
There was a story before that i read in a newspaper where a woman was trying to buy a house here in the UK. I forget where it was, but she made out she was some sort of queen from Africa, having butlers follow her around whilst viewing a very high end property as well as a few others things going on making her look very much the part. In the end she didn't even pay a penny towards the house and got the house signed over to her.

That is the story that springs to mind when I read this.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
If any of her story is true, which I highly doubt, the most helpful thing you could do is link her to this forum and/or gift a copy of TMF .

Am I also wrong in thinking you need some kind of phone service to use the internet, unless you access it from a public place?

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Regarding the spelling errors: @Andy Black has a thread here (I'm on my mobile and it's a pain to search for) that explains why scammers will often intentionally use bad grammar, spelling. It's to weed out the ones who are smart to catch on.

On the other hand, I've known quite a few people dealing with serious issues that they couldn't spell to save their lives (no, they didn't die).

Like the others have said, it's nice to help, but it sucks to get scammed. Even if she's not a scammer, accepting payments from a stranger is a bit negligent.

LouieLouie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
May 30, 2014
Fort Collins Colorado
WOW... I didn't expect to get that many responses.

I really don't know that there is much to say here.

First I already committed to sell it to someone who is paying cash before she ever came along. (Just as soon as I get title work done it will be sold)

Secondly. My family comes first. I have no income myself and am only on about a 3 month runway till savings run out ( including the RV sale)

So no I am not going to help her. I hope to soon be in a position where I can.

Is it because I lack empathy?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have been VERY Sick and unable to work so I understand health issues.

Is it a scam? Who knows... The only way to know is investigate. I won't be taking the time.

I wish her well.

And for the rest of us trying to find our fastlane.

Maybe there is a lesson here?

Like my dad always said..... and now I see he is right.

"There is no limit to how far down we can go"

Remember the key is choices.

And yes Health is part of it.

And Yes I fully understand some health challenges are outside of our control.

BUT MUCH LESS THEN YOU THINK.....

(Just my 10 cents)

Oh and If someone comes up with the theory of giving first and it will come back in some massive way.

No problem...
....Let us experiment!

Write me a check for $7,500 and Ill give her the camper.
And you can update us on what you got back in return.

As for me, my faith is not yet that strong. (Maybe Someday)

But for now my family comes first

Good day FastLaners!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.