• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.

Rate My Book Cover

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Blaise84, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Blaise84

Blaise84 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $922
    First, THANK YOU for your time.

I posted here several weeks ago with an awful, terrible book cover (see attachment below, or, see complete thread if interested: Book Cover-- What do you think of it?).

Nic Saluppo (1).png

Thankfully, everyone set me straight, and I now have a much better design (see attachment below).

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.51.11 PM.jpeg

The new cover design is leaps and bounds better than the first, but it's not quite complete.

What do you think this cover needs in order to be complete? How can I make it more concise, clear, noticeable, and attractive? What about it is problematic or ambiguous? What are your impressions when you see it?

Keep in mind that my target audience is high school and collegiate (DII, DIII, NAIA, JUCO) football players. If you're unfamiliar with the 40 yard dash, it's a test used to measure sprinting speed in football players.

I'm tagging a few of you who I've previously interacted with on this forum, but don't take that as me saying I don't want your feedback if you're not tagged. The more feedback, the better!
    @ljb7
    @Bdenner64
    @MoreVolume
    @MTF
    @azsno
    @LifeTransformer
    @jasoncuellar123
    @MJ DeMarco
    @BrooklynHustle
    @njsinko
    @DronePilot
    @Andy Black
    @Carol Jones
    @Arun Siva
    @jon.a

2. Arun Siva

Arun Siva வளவன் Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,236
    I like the title; however I think the cover (albeit simple and to the point) is something out of the 80's haha. Not necessarily a bad thing but it doesnt stand out to the other books or training aides regarding 40 yard dashes. If you were able to get a picture of a real football player (college athlete or generic one) at a combine (a little more official looking to the specific niche) that would set it off nicely IMHO.

since your niche is super specific (40 yard dash is solely unique to football mostly) i think half of the work is done for you. have you thought about incorporating a DVD or a private link to a private youtube channel or video to supplement your book?

ruzara5, stavedeve and Blaise84 like this.
  3. Blaise84

Blaise84 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $922
    Thanks for your feedback! Can you say a little more about what specifically makes it look old, like it's from the 80s?

4. Arun Siva

Arun Siva வளவன் Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,236
  5. B. Cole

B. Cole Kyle's money Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $939
    I agree, definitely 1980. It's the color, graphics and layout. Have you thought about a real picture of a runner in a glorious moment instead of an 8 bit green arcade guy? Plenty of inspiration in the world of sports marketing.

usain-bolt-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

image.jpeg

Xeon, Blaise84 and Arun Siva like this.
  6. Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,595
    Blaise84 and Arun Siva like this.
  7. MoreVolume

MoreVolume Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $927
    That new cover is a huge improvement. It looks like it would be worth spending $ on

Blaise84 likes this.
  8. Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,595
    Blaise84 and Arun Siva like this.
  9. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    I have thought of this, definitely. I'd like something that stands out. With sprinting and football training, most of the covers are the same-- a guy running/cutting. I'd like to do something that stands out a bit more. But, I of course don't want it to stand out in a negative way.

Thanks! Yes, I thought the wordiness could possibly be an issue. To answer your question about Fiverr, I am planning to hire someone on Fiverr to finish the cover, but I first want to get feedback so I can have a more definite direction before hiring someone.

10. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    Thank you!

11. The EL Maven

The EL Maven No longer life's passenger Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $237
    IMO, the new cover needs some red somewhere. If it were my cover, I'd play around with altering some text color on that cover.

Blaise84 likes this.
  12. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    I tend to agree. I think the colors need to "pop" a bit more

Xeon likes this.
  13. Xeon

Xeon I seek that which surpasses Lambos : Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,602
    The new version is a lot better than the old version. In the old version, I can't even see the silhouette of the runner properly :rofl:
    The new version has some issues and everyone else has really good points, so just to add a few:

1) Generally, cool colors like blues and greens aren't associated with speed, which is what your book is about : FREAKINGLY FAST
    For a book like this which is also aimed at a younger audience, a color palette like red, orange, bits of yellow, white background and bold black font will make it "pop" (tbh, I really dislike the "make it pop" buzzword but....).

2) In design, to make something less static and boring, try to avoid too many horizontals and verticals. In your book design, everything is on a horizontal straight line. The words, the silhouette of the runner etc, it's all horizontals. You want to convey a sense of speed, so.....

3) Check out some of these inspiration:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice how in these images, you see a ton of diagonal lines and shapes. They all scream out speed and dynamism.
    You don't have to make it as complex as these though, but you can use the same principles.
    If you intend to hire a fiverr guy to do the job, you can show them these sort of stuff.

Speaking of fiverr, I've hired there quite a few times to test them out (for graphic designers) but for my case, their portfolio usually doesn't match the quality of the work though, so it's kind of a hit and miss, and I guess I'm a very fussy guy when it comes to this sort of thing lol

Good luck!

14. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $51,743
    @Blaise84, it's a better cover, but it still looks amateurish. If you don't know how to design it from scratch, consider ordering a pre-made cover, for example from Go On Write. Sport Premade Book Covers.

Here are a few of his pre-made covers that might be suitable for your book that are much, much better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my favorite one:
    [​IMG]

David Goliath, Argue, Empires and 6 others like this.
  15. Kid

Kid Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $303
    Try changing green runner with orange.

Blaise84 likes this.
  16. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    Now these are cool examples. They're energetic, yet simple enough to understand immediately. What's a bit disconcerting is that my 2nd cover was done by a designer, not by me (although he used my input).

Xeon likes this.
  17. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    I'm going to check this site out. Thank you! What's a bit discouraging is that I did not design the 2nd cover, a designer did! GAH. I'm definitely stuck in analysis paralysis. How do authors decide on a final cover for their book with all the options out there??

18. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    Thank you. This could make it more eye catching.

19. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $252,458
    Admin Post
    The 2nd one is an improvement! But it still looks a bit underwhelming.

The first one is God-awful and looks like a MS Paint job.

Supa and Blaise84 like this.
  20. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    Waa-waaaa.

Honestly, I'm getting a bit razzled by how challenging coming up with a great book cover is. A designer created the 2nd one, not me (don't think I indicated that in the original post).

Not to say I'm going to quit. But sheesh. Creating a product ain't no joke.

Xeon likes this.
  21. stavedeve

stavedeve New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    I like your point about the niche. Is this book targeting one sport? Football or track and field? Or Both? If it's one or another maybe incorporate that into the design. My other thought: is the book stritkly for the 40-yard dash?

Blaise84 likes this.
  22. stavedeve

stavedeve New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $52
    My thoughts: is it specific to one sport? Football or track and field? Also ... maybe you take out the 40-yards reference in the title. It may turn off people who may be interested in becoming fast but have no interest in the 40. If you're super focused on the 40-yard speed in the book, then obviously keep it.

23. Xeon

Xeon I seek that which surpasses Lambos : Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,602
    Not everyone who knows how to use Photoshop is a designer, so.....

24. Blaise84

Rep Bank:
    $922
    It is specifically targeting the 40 yard dash. Not sure if you follow football much, but within the football industry, the 40 is a razzle dazzle event everybody talks about.

Arun Siva likes this.
  25. Arun Siva

Rep Bank:
    $3,236
    Yes. unfortunately the 40 yard dash is the norm but i think it should be only used for defensive backs, linebackers, wide receivers and running backs. I believe shuttle runs and 20 yard sprints are more suitable for offensive and defensive lineman etc.

I remember when I played a 4.5 40 was considered Division 1-A caliber now its just the Norm: i ran a 4.59 back in 2005 and that is mid range now for a defensive lineman ; the game has evolved to unreal measures (good thing though)

Blaise84 likes this.