The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Book Cover-- What do you think of it?

njsinko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Oct 28, 2015
They key to a great cover as I see it is a single simple focal point, combined with a powerful simple title, with an inviting tagline. There is simply too much going on at once with your cover, and as others have mentioned before me - it looks like it was cheaply made using MS paint.

I would check out canva.com - you can use that platform very cheaply to design a much better cover.

Instead of using a real photograph of a runner, consider using a simple, modern graphic at the center of the page.

I have attached my cover for my current project to show you what I mean. Obviously I have a very different niche, but the design illustrates my point.

Cure-Your-Emetophobia-Ebook-Cover.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Why is the word "exactly" in the title? It doesn't sound right.

I used the word "EXACTLY" because most books on this topic are vague and filled with fluff. They outline general training methods, but the athlete or coach is left guessing at how to APPLY the training protocols. Athletes are left with a list of interesting training protocols with these other resources, but when it comes to the details that make all the difference in the world, such as sets, reps, rest periods, days off, amount of weight, number of intervals, regeneration weeks, ect, they are left in the blue. I want them to know that this isn't going to be vague, filled with fluff, and you won't need a degree in exercise science to understand how to apply it. It's all outlined for you, in clear, exact terms. Thoughts? Maybe something like "The All-Inclusive Speed Development Book." I'm just spitballing here. But something that communicates, "Listen, most programs are vague. They get you excited with neat training concepts, then leave you hanging when it comes to actually applying the concepts in a way that makes sense. This book gives ALL THE DETAILS. So, if you want to learn how to sprint faster from a coach who knows how Olympic 100m gold medalists train, then this is your book."

I'm 40...and I'd read it if there was a qualifier.

As far as a qualifier goes, do you mean something like, "A Faster 40 When You're Over 30," ect, or did you mean something else? The way I'm understanding what you said is that you're looking for something on there that signifies who specifically the program is for. Forgive me, I've listened to both books twice on Audible, but I'm still a huge newbie when it comes to entrepreneurial lingo, so please correct me here.

By the way, which sports do you play?

For the record, I do plan to market it toward high school and collegiate athletes (however, now I'm wondering if there is an untapped market for middle aged athletes!). They're training methods are like my original book cover in this thread...they suck. Most athletes at this level are using bodybuilding training methods, and don't realize they can be SO MUCH faster and jump so much higher if they were clued in to how world-class sprinters train. It's more about training the central nervous system than about isolating muscle groups. Yet, athletes across the nation are tearing workouts out of fitness and bodybuilding magazines, which train muscle groups, not nervous system movements. I think I'm off on a tangent.

This 40yd dash program for high school and college athletes is just the first one I'm putting out there.
They key to a great cover as I see it is a single simple focal point, combined with a powerful simple title, with an inviting tagline. There is simply too much going on at once with your cover, and as others have mentioned before me - it looks like it was cheaply made using MS paint.

I would check out canva.com - you can use that platform very cheaply to design a much better cover.

Instead of using a real photograph of a runner, consider using a simple, modern graphic at the center of the page.

I have attached my cover for my current project to show you what I mean. Obviously I have a very different niche, but the design illustrates my point.

Cure-Your-Emetophobia-Ebook-Cover.png

@njsinko
Thank you! I'm actually working with a designer at this point. I shared it on Facebook, and he noticed how terrible my design was (lol) so he offered to help. In exchange, I offered to help him with his fitness goals.
Quick heads up, "conquer" is the correct spelling.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It kind of has the Jolt, Lightning Storm, I might be electrified reading the book. The shocking discovery of my new amazing life. :)

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It kind of has the Jolt, Lightning Storm, I might be electrified reading the book. The shocking discovery of my new amazing life. :)

That's what I was going for. It was difficult to get that across, however, since my design skills are stanky.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Did a quick take on a simplistic cover, using a photo that could be bought from adobe stock:

Attachments

• AADFBD87-E039-4228-93AF-0B7D92DED961.png
    AADFBD87-E039-4228-93AF-0B7D92DED961.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

azsno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 14, 2017
Durham, NC
I used the word "EXACTLY" because most books on this topic are vague and filled with fluff. They outline general training methods, but the athlete or coach is left guessing at how to APPLY the training protocols. Athletes are left with a list of interesting training protocols with these other resources, but when it comes to the details that make all the difference in the world, such as sets, reps, rest periods, days off, amount of weight, number of intervals, regeneration weeks, ect, they are left in the blue. I want them to know that this isn't going to be vague, filled with fluff, and you won't need a degree in exercise science to understand how to apply it. It's all outlined for you, in clear, exact terms. Thoughts? Maybe something like "The All-Inclusive Speed Development Book." I'm just spitballing here. But something that communicates, "Listen, most programs are vague. They get you excited with neat training concepts, then leave you hanging when it comes to actually applying the concepts in a way that makes sense. This book gives ALL THE DETAILS. So, if you want to learn how to sprint faster from a coach who knows how Olympic 100m gold medalists train, then this is your book."

As far as a qualifier goes, do you mean something like, "A Faster 40 When You're Over 30," ect, or did you mean something else? The way I'm understanding what you said is that you're looking for something on there that signifies who specifically the program is for. Forgive me, I've listened to both books twice on Audible, but I'm still a huge newbie when it comes to entrepreneurial lingo, so please correct me here.

By the way, which sports do you play?

For the record, I do plan to market it toward high school and collegiate athletes (however, now I'm wondering if there is an untapped market for middle aged athletes!). They're training methods are like my original book cover in this thread...they suck. Most athletes at this level are using bodybuilding training methods, and don't realize they can be SO MUCH faster and jump so much higher if they were clued in to how world-class sprinters train. It's more about training the central nervous system than about isolating muscle groups. Yet, athletes across the nation are tearing workouts out of fitness and bodybuilding magazines, which train muscle groups, not nervous system movements. I think I'm off on a tangent.

This 40yd dash program for high school and college athletes is just the first one I'm putting out there.

@njsinko
Thank you! I'm actually working with a designer at this point. I shared it on Facebook, and he noticed how terrible my design was (lol) so he offered to help. In exchange, I offered to help him with his fitness goals.
Quick heads up, "conquer" is the correct spelling.

A qualifier I would look for is evidence that you were able to accomplish this with some sort of proof. Its like when MJ talks about someone who writes a book about wealth creation, by a process they have never used.

I don't play any sports, but I do dabble in weight lifting and BJJ. I'm a former Marine, so when I run, my time has a huge impact on my mental health in correlation with how I perceive my health. For instance, I'm about 100lbs heavier than I was at 19, and there is no way in hell I could ever run 3 miles again at my best ever time of 19:50, but that's what I aim for...although I will never be able to go below 23min again.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I am your target market. Junior in high school. Play sports, want to be faster blah blah blah. I agree with everyone else about the cover being basic. I also think it is too dark. I would incorporate football rather than track into the cover. The 40 yard dash is more of a football related thing and that’s the only thing I think of when I hear 40 yard dash. If you’re aiming at the track stars I would use 100 meter dash or something of those sorts.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
A qualifier I would look for is evidence that you were able to accomplish this with some sort of proof. Its like when MJ talks about someone who writes a book about wealth creation, by a process they have never used.

I don't play any sports, but I do dabble in weight lifting and BJJ. I'm a former Marine, so when I run, my time has a huge impact on my mental health in correlation with how I perceive my health. For instance, I'm about 100lbs heavier than I was at 19, and there is no way in hell I could ever run 3 miles again at my best ever time of 19:50, but that's what I aim for...although I will never be able to go below 23min again.

Thanks! This helpful.

It sounds like you're keeping fit. Hopefully you're enjoying it and not dealing with any nagging injuries.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I am your target market. Junior in high school. Play sports, want to be faster blah blah blah. I agree with everyone else about the cover being basic. I also think it is too dark. I would incorporate football rather than track into the cover. The 40 yard dash is more of a football related thing and that’s the only thing I think of when I hear 40 yard dash. If you’re aiming at the track stars I would use 100 meter dash or something of those sorts.

Wow. What brought you here at your age? I was so busy with sports as a junior in HS, I didn't give a single thought to finances, entrepreneurship, or adding value. Pretty cool you're here.

Yes, I agree about football vs. track. I made that up and posted it on here because I needed to get moving in SOME direction. By publicly posting my [terrible] mock ups, I was able to get the direction I needed. I will have a 40yd dash program and a 100m/60m dash program. Vertical leap as well. All things relating to explosiveness and acceleration power.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
Wow. What brought you here at your age? I was so busy with sports as a junior in HS, I didn't give a single thought to finances, entrepreneurship, or adding value. Pretty cool you're here.

Yes, I agree about football vs. track. I made that up and posted it on here because I needed to get moving in SOME direction. By publicly posting my [terrible] mock ups, I was able to get the direction I needed. I will have a 40yd dash program and a 100m/60m dash program. Vertical leap as well. All things relating to explosiveness and acceleration power.
Like every other kid I have the big dreams and I realized that I wasn’t going to be living the life I dreamed of when I had to work from 9-5 every day and had an engineer salary. Anyone that’s remotely wealthy in my area owns a business (The guy that started R+L Carriers lives about 20 minutes away from me). After I realized that I started reading up on Business and entrepreneurship and ended up finding TMF . But back on topic I’ll be following this thread and looking for your next books/covers.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Even those are pretty bad which means the author with the best cover will have an advantage.

Why not go bold and just use a running man icon?

Title it:

40 In 4 (a 40 yard dash in the 4s, sub 5 seconds is considered great.)
Blow out your 40 yard dash into the 4s.
running_cm-.jpg

@MJ DeMarco

Just an update: I'm working with a designer, and we're using your idea for the running man icon. We're changing the icon up a bit to make it look more an athletic person sprinting, and we're going to add movement as well (I got this idea from you in another thread). Just wanted to say thanks for the idea about the running man icon, and that I am using it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just an update: I'm working with a designer, and we're using your idea for the running man icon. We're changing the icon up a bit to make it look more an athletic person sprinting, and we're going to add movement as well (I got this idea from you in another thread). Just wanted to say thanks for the idea about the running man icon, and that I am using it.

Yes! Great to hear!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.