The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FYI: Today is April 15th which means self-employed entrepreneurs need to pay estimated taxes and file extensions. Don't forget! The IRS charges interest rates and late fees on par with Tiny the bookie from Newark NJ.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Here's my rant for the day. I filed my 2018 taxes forever ago. Filed my sales tax for the state on my business over the weekend. I have the same train of thought every time I have to do this sh!t: If you motherfuhrers are going to steal my money, you could at least have the decency to not make me do the legwork for you. Why do I have to do all the damn work?

Imagine a car thief that, instead of breaking in in the middle of cold wintery night, wakes your a$$ up and says, "I'm gonna need you to wake up, get dressed and open the car door for me. Oh, and if you could go ahead and warm it up. My bum gets cold easily. I'll be in the kitchen having your wife make cup of coffee. Just let me know when the car is warm, and I'll take it off your hands."

D

Deleted50669

Been in the Desert of Desertion since mid October. I wonder if I'm approaching a time record of some sort. Either what I'm building is abnormally complex, or I just suck at being efficient, or both ¯\(©¿©) /¯

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Devastating photos and videos show Notre Dame cathedral fire

Well, that's a shame. One of the finest pieces of gothic architecture.

For people who never been inside, this is how it looks (but way more impressive):

Inside-the-Notre-Dame-cathedral-in-Paris-900x585.jpg

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Not sure if this is the same for some of you, but because I’m focusing so much on my business and my Fastlane goals, I have zero interest in things like Game of Thrones, Avengers, etc. The pop culture nonsense that everyone seems to be obsessed with. It’s just meaningless compared to my own work.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Here's my rant for the day. I filed my 2018 taxes forever ago. Filed my sales tax for the state on my business over the weekend. I have the same train of thought every time I have to do this sh!t: If you motherfuhrers are going to steal my money, you could at least have the decency to not make me do the legwork for you. Why do I have to do all the damn work?

Imagine a car thief that, instead of breaking in in the middle of cold wintery night, wakes your a$$ up and says, "I'm gonna need you to wake up, get dressed and open the car door for me. Oh, and if you could go ahead and warm it up. My bum gets cold easily. I'll be in the kitchen having your wife make cup of coffee. Just let me know when the car is warm, and I'll take it off your hands."

Having to pay them is privilege! (jk)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Not sure if this is the same for some of you, but because I’m focusing so much on my business and my Fastlane goals, I have zero interest in things like Game of Thrones, Avengers, etc. The pop culture nonsense that everyone seems to be obsessed with. It’s just meaningless compared to my own work.

I have it a bit different but in same direction: I see bulshit in movies more often.

Like when space ship shoots and there's rounded trajectory of a laser - in space there's no gravity
so it should fly straight line!

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Random chat with some of my friends in the office. They've been investing in Minted Coins I think is what they call it. Some of them bought coins that the value in the market grew five folds, I don't understand it though. :wideyed::jawdrop:

upload_2019-4-18_7-31-17.png

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Will humans achieve immortality?

There have been stories of eyes moving after a person had gone through the guillotine. Lucid Decapitation

In 1818, Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein about a doctor creating an ugly creature by stitching together dead bodies.

And now we have this:
Scientists Restore Some Function In The Brains Of Dead Pigs

Scientists partially revived a pig's brain after the animal died

Some brain functions may be restored after death, pig study suggests

Hours After Pigs' Death, Scientists Restore Brain Cell Activity

The thing is...what is death? What is consciousness? What are the ethics? If a person is revived, what would that person think?

tenor.gif

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Never underestimate the ubiquity of human stupidity, even with people with money. OMG I gotta invest in that new hot IPO ... then you buy the wrong shares.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 5.52.43 PM.png

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

I found this video to be surprisingly good and relevant.

As entrepreneurs we find ourselves in a selfish economic system where people and consumers ask themselves "Why should I care?" or "How are you gonna help me?".

The common denominator is always people.

The answer:

1. Get people to say "no". Stop trying to get a "yes" out of everybody because nobody wants to say "yes". People are on the defensive all the time and want to say "no" to defend their interests. Rework and rephrase propositions to get a "no" from someone while at the same time getting what you want.

2. Get people to say "that's right". You are not gonna change someones mind or beliefs. You need to find out what that person would say "Thats right" to.

Last edited:

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX

As entrepreneurs we find ourselves in a selfish economic system where people and consumers ask themselves "Why should I care?" or "How are you gonna help me?".

The common denominator is always people.

The answer:

1. Get people to say "no". Stop trying to get a "yes" out of everybody because nobody wants to say "yes". People are on the defensive all the time and want to say "no" to defend their interests. Rework and rephrase propositions to get a "no" from someone while at the same time getting what you want.

2. Get people to say "that's right". You are not gonna change someones mind or beliefs. You need to find out what that person would say "Thats right" to.
That was actually a really good video. I don't normally watch videos that are posted, but it was funny and relevant. Thanks for posting.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
So get a load of this rip-off.

Not too long ago I reserved a car rental with Expedia to use in Guadalajara, Mexico.

I arrive at the airport and I'm told there are no cars available. I say ok no big deal, I'll just use another rental company and request a refund later. I call Expedia and request a refund. They deny my refund because reservations are prepaid "use it or lose it" purchases. I was pretty livid as if you pay for services you should get those services.

I'm not gonna cry and lose sleep over losing $400. It's the principle of the matter. You pay for something and you should get that something.

So I decided to file a chargeback with my credit card at Bank of America. Long story short they denied the chargeback of "no services received" because Expedia showed them their terms of services saying it doesn't matter if it wasn't used or not, you lose it.

I was pretty pissed, because to me it's just common sense and fairness. If you pay for something, and you get denied that service because of reasons beyond your control, you should get a refund. Not some "Gotcha!" in the fine print of the terms of service. At the same time it's really no surprise because Expedia deals with thousands of customers. They carefully write their terms and agreements to protect themselves.

To be honest, no wonder consumers are jaded these days. Even big name companies you think you can trust engage in money chasing BS.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Seriously, I always get this look from people, like I'm strange because I really don't enjoy sitting and watching entertainment anymore like I did about 10 years ago. I just am more about creating it. There's a difference I believe one pays you for creating it while the other you're giving out your money and time for it. I think this is the hardest part in my relationships, I'm usually the alien reading, writing, or doing something else other than enjoying entertainment.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
So get a load of this rip-off.

Not too long ago I reserved a car rental with Expedia to use in Guadalajara, Mexico.

I arrive at the airport and I'm told there are no cars available. I say ok no big deal, I'll just use another rental company and request a refund later. I call Expedia and request a refund. They deny my refund because reservations are prepaid "use it or lose it" purchases. I was pretty livid as if you pay for services you should get those services.

@socaldude, I appreciate the heads-up. I have never used expedia to book, but I have used other, similar intermediaries for booking hotels and rental cars. Good to know.
Also, since they didn't provide or even give you the opportunity to "use it" then how can they refuse to give your money back? You paid for a car that you didn't get, but, yeah, how much time do you want to waste chasing $400?

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
So... someone died whilst at work in the building I work in...

I didn't know the person, but undoubtedly they had a family, friends, hobbies, dreams and a life... and they died whilst at work.

Don't want to make a big deal over it, we all probably feel the same hearing the above, just so sad.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
"Expensive" products that come with "extras" that no one else has, are bullsh*t marketing gimmicks that can't justify the base product.

Ex:
Monitors with speakers that sound like they come from a smartphone
Portable monitors with a carrying case
Speakers with built in LEDs

Rant 2:
OLED is garbage. Wait for Micro LED.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Of course they are. Makes perfect business sense. No merchant can consistently offer one day shipping by themselves. Consumers WANT one day shipping, especially those who pay for Prime. This incentivizes merchants to ship using Amazon FBA to give the consumers what they want and are willing to pay for.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

His book is Never Split the Difference: Negotiating as if your life depends on it. I had it suggested by someone at work while dealing with a challenging person who continually posed me with lose lose situations. Honestly, I think if Voss had to argue with that guy, all the hostages would die haha, but it did help me get the absolute bare bottom price for my boat through the use of price anchoring.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
That was actually a really good video. I don't normally watch videos that are posted, but it was funny and relevant. Thanks for posting.

I’m glad you said this, it prompted me to actually watch it. I’m gonna go buy the book now.

ETA -20 minutes later-

Found the dude on Twitter, read the first chapter, he’s humble. Hot damn I think y’all shared the book of the year.

He has TONS of YouTube videos but I hate learning from video.

I’m now tweeting my way through this book. :happy dance:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No Game of Thrones comments?

C'mon, I know someone is dying to opine on the latest!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
No Game of Thrones comments?

C'mon, I know someone is dying to opine on the latest!

I wanted Bran to pull off his face and reveal himself to be Arya or even Jaqen H'ghar at the last moment. Would've been cool. Enjoyed the episode overall. There were a lot of really tense parts and a few tear-jerker moments too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.