The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Quality of life in the Bay Area is turning to sh*t. Literally.
  • If you walk around the financial district it is not uncommon to see someone shooting needles and pooping on the sidewalk. Every time I go for a walk it's pretty much guaranteed that I will see human poop on the ground. San Francisco's Sidewalk Poop Crisis, Explained - CityLab
  • Due to the lack of cleanliness, there is a growing epidemic of a flesh eating bacteria that acts like a staph infection on steroids
  • Tech money is pouring in and causing a price war for real estate, causing the cost of living to skyrocket. A middle class home 2 blocks away from me was bought for $2.8M cash and they completely gutted out the interior because it hasn't been updated since the 1970's.
  • An overwhelming majority of homes in SF are renting out their garage for multiple people to live in
  • Homeless people are on every intersection begging for handouts
  • traffic has gone nuts(bumper to bumper traffic from 7am-10am, to give you an idea)
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave unless you work in tech or have your own business here.

INE alert - Crapp - a gps enabled mobile app that tracks the location of craps so you can safely plan your route. App includes alerts when a new crap appears on your current safe route, and lets you know when new routes open up because a pile has been removed.

A portion of the app’s revenue will be used for things like portable restrooms, cleanup efforts, and to fund housing programs and resources for the homeless population. Users can earn poo points for uploading previously undetected craps, with point levels depending on the severity and critical location of the crap.

3 points - The crap is small and dry, mostly undetectable to passers-by. Off-the-path craps that cannot easily be stepped in fall into this category, the potential for contact is low.

5 points - The crap is fairly recent and can be detected by passers-by on scent and visibility. Crap may be dry, but is located in a critical walking lane and has the potential to be stepped in and tracked into buildings or across other safe routes. A traffic cone should be placed until cleanup efforts can respond.

10 points - This crap is a road closure event, highly visible, large and offending. Craps in this category have usually taken out amenities such as bike racks and benches, and have the potential to shut down a strip of storefronts or portion of the bus route. Those with pets or small children should avoid use of this route until cleanup is complete.

This INE can pe purchased with 5 rep points to myself, 5 points to @IceCreamKid and 5 points to each of the forum moderators.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What do people think of this situation? What should have been done better in this situation? Should the cops have been called? Should the mom have stayed with her kids or at least brought them to the interview with her?

View: https://vimeo.com/295591903

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Probably, but he was gassed when he fought Volkov too. Still knocked him out.

ooooooooooooo baby excited to see the same against brock

that ref stoppage in the weidman fight was so late, actually **** me off. reff should be banned completely from anything to do with fighting. AWESOME card

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Quality of life in the Bay Area is turning to sh*t. Literally.
  • If you walk around the financial district it is not uncommon to see someone shooting needles and pooping on the sidewalk. Every time I go for a walk it's pretty much guaranteed that I will see human poop on the ground. San Francisco's Sidewalk Poop Crisis, Explained - CityLab
  • Due to the lack of cleanliness, there is a growing epidemic of a flesh eating bacteria that acts like a staph infection on steroids
  • Tech money is pouring in and causing a price war for real estate, causing the cost of living to skyrocket. A middle class home 2 blocks away from me was bought for $2.8M cash and they completely gutted out the interior because it hasn't been updated since the 1970's.
  • An overwhelming majority of homes in SF are renting out their garage for multiple people to live in
  • Homeless people are on every intersection begging for handouts
  • traffic has gone nuts(bumper to bumper traffic from 7am-10am, to give you an idea)
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave unless you work in tech or have your own business here.

I'm now traveling in the US and it's my first time here. I've been to Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah (just the Monument Valley and surroundings so just a tiny tiny portion of the state) and now Hawaii.

My observation - and I hope that nobody from the US will get mad at me lol - is that quality of life in the mainland US (I'm only talking about the places I visited, and I'm not sure about Hawaii yet as I just got here) seems to be lower than in Europe and many other countries I've visited. I thought that people saying that were exaggerating but now I tend to agree.

Obviously, this is just a very surface observation of a traveler, not a person living here. The US is huge and I'm sure there are many awesome places to live there. Based on where I've been, here are a few outsider observations about the local quality of life:
  • Homeless people (or people who appear to be homeless) and beggars are very visible. I don't think I've ever seen that many homeless people in other countries except for some poor countries like Morocco.
  • I find it much harder to be healthy here (again, I'm referring to the mainland US, as Hawaii seems to be much better in this aspect). Almost all of the restaurants serve fast food, there's a lot of unhealthy stuff added to even the most basic products (I don't think I've ever seen stuff as weird as blueberry-flavored almonds), and unless it's Whole Foods (which is super expensive), in a supermarket you have a much, much bigger selection of junk food than healthy stuff (I can't believe how many flavors of Oreos, M&Ms, etc. people actually need).
  • Never before I've seen so many morbidly obese or otherwise unhealthy-looking people. Then again, when you see people having breakfast at 8 am in McDonald's, it's pretty clear why that's the case.
  • Again, just my perception limited to just a few places I've been too: it seems to me that food here (and this ties directly to the quality of life) is not that much about quality - it's more about gorging on as much sugary/greasy/etc. stuff as possible than actually enjoying it. The Mediterranean countries (which I often visit) are the opposite. There's more emphasis on food quality, the cuisine is so much healthier, you're supposed to eat slowly and enjoy it.
  • The cities are not walkable (though still much better than in the Middle East). I find it super weird that there's not a single shop, restaurant, or anything like that for miles - just homes. I thought that it was an exaggeration that you absolutely need a car in the US but now I see why.
  • The infrastructure is very dated. Some gas stations look like they're abandoned or not renovated in decades (and man I hate the pre-paid system), my debit card is sometimes not working at all (this has never happened to me anywhere else in the world, including some very exotic places), I have very bad reception on my phone and mobile Internet is slow even in a big city. But maybe T-Mobile in the US is just shit.
  • The obsession with the military is disconcerting. But that's a sensitive topic so let's leave it at that.
  • Just a random observation: not sure if it's only Delta Airlines, but I was shocked that all the flight attendants were 50-60+, and some of them were obese. I've never seen anything like this on any other airline. Flight attendants are supposed to be fit and healthy to be able to help passengers.
On the plus side, the people are very nice, laid-back, and friendly (except for the Border Patrol), it's very easy to drive (love the wide streets and roads), the wide open spaces are incredible (it's crazy that there are so many national parks and monuments here), and the diversity is very cool. I still enjoyed my stay in the US and felt comfortable in most places, but I don't think I'd like to live there (or to be more specific - live in the places that I visited).

And again - I might have had bad luck or maybe I went to the wrong places. Anyway, it's my impression after my first visit, so it might still change if I go back or see other places.

I guess that it could be a good idea for a thread: which places in the world offer the best quality of life and why, so if anyone's interested, I can start it as I really like talking about this topic.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Canada is a million times better than USA , sorry Americans

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
USA is a million times better than Canada. Sorry canadians.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you live in the Bay Area then it's probably in your best interest to leave

[RANT]
No!!!!!

Please for the love of God, if one is considering leaving, please don't. Stay!

Stay and work out the solution to your problems with the leaders you continue to elect.

Californification is ruining Arizona and Texas. Not that those states don't have their share of problems, but rampant shit and homeless tents on Broadway is not one of them. Please, don't move and take your *shit* to Arizona, no pun intended. :playful:

We don't want it.
[/RANT]

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Good reason to live far away from humanity, house up in the hills or island/bushes seems ideal IMO.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I'm now traveling in the US and it's my first time here. I've been to Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah (just the Monument Valley and surroundings so just a tiny tiny portion of the state) and now Hawaii.

My observation - and I hope that nobody from the US will get mad at me lol - is that quality of life in the mainland US (I'm only talking about the places I visited, and I'm not sure about Hawaii yet as I just got here) seems to be lower than in Europe and many other countries I've visited. I thought that people saying that were exaggerating but now I tend to agree.

Obviously, this is just a very surface observation of a traveler, not a person living here. The US is huge and I'm sure there are many awesome places to live there. Based on where I've been, here are a few outsider observations about the local quality of life:
  • Homeless people (or people who appear to be homeless) and beggars are very visible. I don't think I've ever seen that many homeless people in other countries except for some poor countries like Morocco.
  • I find it much harder to be healthy here (again, I'm referring to the mainland US, as Hawaii seems to be much better in this aspect). Almost all of the restaurants serve fast food, there's a lot of unhealthy stuff added to even the most basic products (I don't think I've ever seen stuff as weird as blueberry-flavored almonds), and unless it's Whole Foods (which is super expensive), in a supermarket you have a much, much bigger selection of junk food than healthy stuff (I can't believe how many flavors of Oreos, M&Ms, etc. people actually need).
  • Never before I've seen so many morbidly obese or otherwise unhealthy-looking people. Then again, when you see people having breakfast at 8 am in McDonald's, it's pretty clear why that's the case.
  • Again, just my perception limited to just a few places I've been too: it seems to me that food here (and this ties directly to the quality of life) is not that much about quality - it's more about gorging on as much sugary/greasy/etc. stuff as possible than actually enjoying it. The Mediterranean countries (which I often visit) are the opposite. There's more emphasis on food quality, the cuisine is so much healthier, you're supposed to eat slowly and enjoy it.
  • The cities are not walkable (though still much better than in the Middle East). I find it super weird that there's not a single shop, restaurant, or anything like that for miles - just homes. I thought that it was an exaggeration that you absolutely need a car in the US but now I see why.
  • The infrastructure is very dated. Some gas stations look like they're abandoned or not renovated in decades (and man I hate the pre-paid system), my debit card is sometimes not working at all (this has never happened to me anywhere else in the world, including some very exotic places), I have very bad reception on my phone and mobile Internet is slow even in a big city. But maybe T-Mobile in the US is just sh*t.
  • The obsession with the military is disconcerting. But that's a sensitive topic so let's leave it at that.
  • Just a random observation: not sure if it's only Delta Airlines, but I was shocked that all the flight attendants were 50-60+, and some of them were obese. I've never seen anything like this on any other airline. Flight attendants are supposed to be fit and healthy to be able to help passengers.
On the plus side, the people are very nice, laid-back, and friendly (except for the Border Patrol), it's very easy to drive (love the wide streets and roads), the wide open spaces are incredible (it's crazy that there are so many national parks and monuments here), and the diversity is very cool. I still enjoyed my stay in the US and felt comfortable in most places, but I don't think I'd like to live there (or to be more specific - live in the places that I visited).

And again - I might have had bad luck or maybe I went to the wrong places. Anyway, it's my impression after my first visit, so it might still change if I go back or see other places.

I guess that it could be a good idea for a thread: which places in the world offer the best quality of life and why, so if anyone's interested, I can start it as I really like talking about this topic.
I appreciate your perspective. It's always pretty cool to see what others think about America. I think we get a bad rep due to our arrogance - not saying this is bad or good. The only thing that really stood out to me was your comment about the quantity of the homeless. It's gotta be related to the places you visited. I've lived here my whole life (almost 50 yrs) and lived in 7 different states. Probably visited another 20 states. I can count on 1 hand how many homeless people I've seen. Thanks for your perspective.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Good reason to live far away from humanity, house up in the hills or island/bushes seems ideal IMO.

I've already bought the land and are working on the blueprints. ;)

Obesity and health care are two of America's biggest industries. If you solve those problems, the economy takes a dive. Disease is a protected industry here. Just an FYI. :somber:

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
  • Again, just my perception limited to just a few places I've been too: it seems to me that food here (and this ties directly to the quality of life) is not that much about quality - it's more about gorging on as much sugary/greasy/etc. stuff as possible than actually enjoying it.
Totally agree. Whenever I visit Europe I just go nuts for the food, because it is REAL food, quality food, and it tastes so much better. I was just in Italy last spring and loved all the cheeses &etc that we essentially can't GET here. Here most people just want cheap and quantity. And because they eat so much and such poor quality, obesity is a real problem.

I've lived here my whole life (almost 50 yrs) and lived in 7 different states. Probably visited another 20 states. I can count on 1 hand how many homeless people I've seen. Thanks for your perspective.
I don't see how you could miss it, if you've been that many places. There are plenty of homeless people here in my town of 160k in Colorado. I've seen tons of homeless in Portland, Seattle, California, almost every significant-sized city I've been to.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
gallery-1467837454-screen-shot-2016-07-06-at-11621-pm.png

Is it wrong I wouldn't mind watching her do some pole dancing? Would love to see her try to climb one

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Totally agree. Whenever I visit Europe I just go nuts for the food, because it is REAL food, quality food, and it tastes so much better. I was just in Italy last spring and loved all the cheeses &etc that we essentially can't GET here. Here most people just want cheap and quantity. And because they eat so much and such poor quality, obesity is a real problem.

I don't see how you could miss it, if you've been that many places. There are plenty of homeless people here in my town of 160k in Colorado. I've seen tons of homeless in Portland, Seattle, California, almost every significant-sized city I've been to.
Never been to any of the places you listed. Even if I did, I doubt I would see any because I probably wouldn't visit the parts of those places that the homeless roam.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Never been to any of the places you listed. Even if I did, I doubt I would see any because I probably wouldn't visit the parts of those places that the homeless roam.
Hey, I wasn't hanging out in the Bowery. :smile: In my hometown, we get panhandlers in the main Old Town shopping area. (Only in the last 5-10 years, though...?) There's a mission on the outskirts of the central shopping area, plenty of homeless there. Portland has homeless folks all through the downtown area. You won't see any in residential areas or office parks, but downtown / open-air mall / etc spaces generally draw some.

I was amazed at how many homeless people there are in Tokyo, camped out in the parks &etc.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

This is the whole U.S. Your findings are accurate.

Tons of obese people, shitty food choices, senseless sub-urban development, but incredible natural landmarks and wide open spaces.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Whenever I visit Europe I just go nuts for the food, because it is REAL food, quality food, and it tastes so much better.

In Europe this summer, my favorite afternoon snack was Museli mixed with yogurt. Museli is like a cereal... grains/nuts/dried fruit... 100% awesome stuff. The store we went to had like 20+ different varieties.

I've only found one box of "museli" here, at Kroger. But it had 12g of added sugar per serving... about double what's in sugary kid's cereal.

It's a real disappointment. I have to check the sugar content of everything before I buy it. It gets old.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I've only found one box of "muesli" here, at Kroger. But it had 12g of added sugar per serving... about double what's in sugary kid's cereal.
FWIW when I read your post I happened to have a box of Kroger muesli sitting in front of me -- only 5g added sugars. Still more than there should be, but better than 12.

I totally agree about "too much sugar in everything." Let me ADD the sugar if I want it!!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What do you guys think the lifespan reduction is for the average person that indulges in taste eating?

Currently an addict

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What do you guys think the lifespan reduction is for the average person that indulges in taste eating?

Currently an addict
Current lifespan in the US is about 80. Korea it's high 80s. Okinawa is like 500.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
80 for a healthy person? How about an addict like me that demolishes donuts and pizza

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO

Currently an addict

If by taste eating you mean unhealthy eating then I would say maybe it takes 5 to 10 years off your life. Maybe a bit more. Not very much but your last years of life are going to be terrible. Tons of doctor visits, medications every day, always feeling like shit, needing surgery, going to the hospital, using a scooter at the grocery store, etc.

My grandma was very unhealthy her whole life (smoking and diet) and still made it to 79 years old. But the last 10 years of her life almost didn't count because of all her health conditions, surgeries, nursing homes, pills, hospice, and being bedridden for years. She didn't die early but her life did.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
In Europe this summer, my favorite afternoon snack was Museli mixed with yogurt. Museli is like a cereal... grains/nuts/dried fruit... 100% awesome stuff. The store we went to had like 20+ different varieties.

I've only found one box of "museli" here, at Kroger. But it had 12g of added sugar per serving... about double what's in sugary kid's cereal.

It's a real disappointment. I have to check the sugar content of everything before I buy it. It gets old.
Perhaps you would have more success if you search "muesli" ;)

Quaker Oats has many different kinds, I thought Quaker was American?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
80 for a healthy person? How about an addict like me that demolishes donuts and pizza
60s-70s probably. Maybe high 50s. Chance of some long term chronic disease not just lifespan reduction. Poor quality of life

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Haven't seen any here. I'll look again.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
OT: GDPR is not cold yet and my country wants to keep fingerprints of all its citizens to their ID.

You know, "if you have nothing to hide, you don't have to worry". It's basically ok to violate GDPR for "safety reasons".

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
OT: GDPR is not cold yet and my country wants to keep fingerprints of all its citizens to their ID.

You know, "if you have nothing to hide, you don't have to worry". It's basically ok to violate GDPR for "safety reasons".

Apple is kinda doing this already with the fingerprint password.

Ya think they're not sharing that info? hA!

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
I don't believe Quaker sells a muesli in the US. But their "Simply Granola" should give you an idea of what we're working with: 13g sugar in a 50g portion. Which, if I'm not mistaken, means that "healthy cereal" is 1/4 sugar.

Oh wait! They DO make a "Raisin Date Almond" muesli. And, **shock**, it has ZERO added sugar. That's almost unheard-of from a mainstream US cereal manufacturer, for anything but plain oats or other basic-ingredient cereals. I'll have to try it.

@amp0193, there are other options that are probably available at Kroger. Familia makes a no-added-sugar muesli (green box, not red), and so does Bob's Red Mill. There are probably others. Your best bet, though, would be to make your own. It's easy, and then you can custom-blend the ingredients you like.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Anyone else play baccarrat? I won 10-15 sessions in a row by doing the opposite of what other people are doing....lol

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I don't believe Quaker sells a muesli in the US. But their "Simply Granola" should give you an idea of what we're working with: 13g sugar in a 50g portion. Which, if I'm not mistaken, means that "healthy cereal" is 1/4 sugar.

Oh wait! They DO make a "Raisin Date Almond" muesli. And, **shock**, it has ZERO added sugar. That's almost unheard-of from a mainstream US cereal manufacturer, for anything but plain oats or other basic-ingredient cereals. I'll have to try it.

@amp0193, there are other options that are probably available at Kroger. Familia makes a no-added-sugar muesli (green box, not red), and so does Bob's Red Mill. There are probably others. Your best bet, though, would be to make your own. It's easy, and then you can custom-blend the ingredients you like.
Just my opinion but use almond milk or soy milk with the muesli. If the idea is to eat healthy. Please read about plant based diets. Joel fuhrman is the best first step.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.